• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Karl-just-Karl

Retired
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 5, 2014
    NE
    Wow, those are interesting. Lever-actions for the 21st century?

With the rail section and threaded for a suppressor I don't quite know what to think, but hmmm.

I've been looking for a new 44 lever gun, just been waiting on Remlin to get there stuff straightened out. TrapperJim just about had me convinced, then Henry started with the side-loading gates and well, now I'll have to continue to wait to see what the Beta testers have to say about these.

t-squared

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 9, 2012
    Crown Point
    Wow, those are interesting. Lever-actions for the 21st century?

With the rail section and threaded for a suppressor I don't quite know what to think, but hmmm.

I've been looking for a new 44 lever gun, just been waiting on Remlin to get there stuff straightened out. TrapperJim just about had me convinced, then Henry started with the side-loading gates and well, now I'll have to continue to wait to see what the Beta testers have to say about these.

These seem to be along the same lines as the "Dark Series" from Marlin. Although I couldn't find them on their site, they are supposed to be offering them in .357 and 44mag. I think the sight/rail setup that comes ready to rock on the Marlins will be more attractive to potential buyers compared to the Henry's....:dunno:

https://www.marlinfirearms.com/lever-action/model-1895-big-bore/model-1895-dark-series

https://www.marlinfirearms.com/lever-action/model-336/model-336-dark-series

Areoflyer09

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Feb 28, 2017
    Indianapolis
    These seem to be along the same lines as the "Dark Series" from Marlin. Although I couldn't find them on their site, they are supposed to be offering them in .357 and 44mag. I think the sight/rail setup that comes ready to rock on the Marlins will be more attractive to potential buyers compared to the Henry's....:dunno:

https://www.marlinfirearms.com/lever-action/model-1895-big-bore/model-1895-dark-series

https://www.marlinfirearms.com/lever-action/model-336/model-336-dark-series

Pros and Cons to both, will come down to buyer preference.

Personally, I lean towards the Henry. I don’t care much for the length of pic rail on the Marlin or the paracord wrappings.

Ricnzak

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Nov 15, 2008
    Noblesville
    I'm excited Henry finally came out with the side load in .357/38. Soon other models will follow and I'll get one of those. I don't care for the blacked out lever look. Threaded is cool however.

Karl-just-Karl

Retired
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 5, 2014
    NE
    I don't mind it being blacked out, I'm just trying to accept polymer furniture on a lever gun and the possibility of attaching tacticool accessories. I had a Burris FF3 on my Marlin 44 for a while. I liked it, but I don't have that gun anymore.

Some folks have been doing this for a while over on ARFCOM. It looks like it has caught on enough to go mainstream.

I can see the extended rail on the Marlin for use with a scout scope or forward red dot, but I question the overall esthetic. Remington can keep the paracord.

I can't find any mention if the Henry receiver is already drilled and tapped.

Karl-just-Karl

Retired
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 5, 2014
    NE
    Okay, I'm supposed to be working and probably not looking close enough.

Bleeding off enough time to hang out on a message board is dubious enough.

Either way, I suck!

The new tacticool era of lever guns is interesting though.

throttletony

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    nearby
    They're not winning beauty pageants... BUT I would really consider one of these in 357/38.

The only other option that was factory THREADED **AND** SIDE LOADING GATE was the marlin, or customizing another.

I'm really gald to see a Henry in 357 with side loading gate

midget

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Apr 2, 2010
    Leo
    Honestly, this might take the place of my existing Big Boy Steel. I love that rifle, but I'm always worried about moisture exposure with the nice wood furniture while hunting with it. It looks like it would make a good woods gun.

mmpsteve

Real CZ's have a long barrel!!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 14, 2016
    ..... formerly near the Wild Turkey
    The Henry Lever Xs are all drilled and tapped. Dig into the additional specs for the models and they list it.

Although the Henry's are D&T'd, they require a proprietary Henry mount you have to buy seperate, or at least that was how my .327 carbine came. From those specs on the X Model:
    Scope Mount Type
    [FONT=&amp]BB-RSM[/FONT]

The earliest Big Boy models took a different mount, but I believe they've standardized all current production Big Boy models to the mount above.

ETA: I see Talley is now making a 1 piece mount for the Big Boys, but only with 1" rings. I put a 30mm scope on my Big Boy. The Henry mount does not come with rings. Don't confuse the one piece with the other rings that Talley makes for other Henry's. There are only 3 holes D&T'd on the top of the receiver.

Here's the Talley Item. It probably keeps your scope a little lower than the Henry mount, once you add rings to the Henry mount.

https://www.talleymanufacturing.com/product/henry-h015/

mmpsteve

Real CZ's have a long barrel!!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 14, 2016
    ..... formerly near the Wild Turkey
    Neat mount from Talley!

I think I’d probably go with a red dot of some sort with the style of this one.

I've recently added a couple of the Leupold VX-R patrol scopes with the red dot. The 1-4x is about perfect for this type rifle, IMO. It is a 30mm tube though. I put the 2-7x on my .327 Henry, since the velocities will reach out a little farther for varmint work. The 100 gr. loads are moving pretty good at about 2000 fps.

Top Bottom