• ...and so much more!
  • Banbuddy

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 28, 2020
    Indianapolis
    Ladies, gentlemen.

I'm looking for a semi auto bang stick that throws 3" shells. I've held the Bennelli M2 Field and the Stoeger M3000. These have felt the best in my hands compared to everything else my LGS reps threw at me.

Problem is, I don't have a lot of $$ to spend and I REALLY liked the way the M2 pointed in my hands. Made me hesitate pulling the trigger on the Stoeger. So now I'm at a conundrum.

The stick is to be the abject definition of abused. Field shotgun for waterfowl, Turkey, and upland. I plan on using and abusing this thing worse than Mick Jaggar's liver.

Anyone have any recommendations for bird killin' ?

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Stoeger makes good, reasonably priced shotguns.

I long for A Remington 1100. But my wallet laughs at me. Stoeger is in my budget.

My all time favorite shotgun is my Stoeger Condor. Its a utility grade O/U. Nothing fancy, no scrollwork, and the stock is spartan and utilitarian. But it shoots well and only cost me $400.

I'd say as long as you dont plan on running 100 rounds a weekend at the trap range every weekend every summer, It should serve you well.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    I run a Remington 1100 magnum from the 80s.
    It was in sad shape when I got it. Gunkoted receiver, new synth stock, swapped in a used steel shot 26" Remchoke bbl.

Total around 300 bucks.

2nd one Ive fixed up.

It is a tank compared to my 870 supermag turkey model. After a full day of run n gun in southern IN switch to the lighter 870 LOL

Have had mint walnut 1100 magnums. Kinda nice to not have to baby this one ( hated taping the shiny ones for turkey hunting ).

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Light loads ( like steel dove loads ) wont cycle my magnum w magnum bbl. Will run w 1250 fps lead though ( WW sporting clays or super handicap ).

So am on the hunt for 2 3/4 chamber 28" bbl just for that.
    Magnums run heavier action sleeves so may not work great w steel dove ( dunno, aint tried it W reg bbl ).

Edit: was reminded that a standard bbl (dual port) might overgas w some loads, that the heavier magnum action sleeve could batter the bolt/buffer enough to damage receiver. Whatever one runs, checking buffer for damage now and then a good thing. Non magnum action sleeves are easy to purchase.

Rather than swap those if it doesnt work, put on the 1100 trap. It has a reg full fixed and I wont run steel in it. Shiny too, but seems OK for dove ( ran on private ground )

So maybe find a 28" remchoke or fixed mod bbl at gunshow this weekend ;)

Last couple yrs ran a reg 26" imp cyl standard 1100 w steel. Just a little shorter and lighter than I prefer.

Dont mind 26" bbl for turkey but like 30" for geese. No optic on my turkey rigs.

23" turkey 870 is short for dove but has limited out often. Steel big pellet waterfowl, ill getva 30" bbl for it.

Last edited:

Ggreen

Person
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Sep 19, 2016
    SouthEast
    I picked up a brand new franchi intensity for pretty cheap (didn't come with the factory 3 1/2 bbl). 600 from gbroker. It's a solid inertial drive 12ga.

jinks

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 5, 2013
    Central
    The two shotguns you listed are inertia-operated, so for under $400, I would suggest looking at the EAA GiRSAN MC312 12 Gauge Semi-Auto Shotgun 28" Barrel 3.5" Chamber Inertia Driven System Screw-In Choke System Synthetic Furniture Matte Black 390145.

MC312 Shotgun

This shotgun is tough and versatile! Out of the box the MC312 runs 12GA 23/4", 3" and 3.5". We even tested target loads, 12GA 23/4" and hot 3.5", mixed in the same mag tube and the shotgun still functioned. This is a very difficult task for most shotguns as it requires the bolt to cycle back far enough to load the 12GA 3.5", but using only the energy from a target load 12GA 23/4". EAA really abused this gun in testing. They ran 700 rounds continuous leaving no time to cool, mixed and matched ammo in a single mag tube, and put it through some of the most grueling tests they could come up with. EAA ran the first 5000 rounds with zero cleaning, then ran a 10,000 round endurance test without replacing any parts. For the last test, they disassembled 5 shotguns, placed the parts in a box, mixed the parts up and reassembled the guns with a random selection. The MC312 fired with no adjustment needed.

The GIRSAN MC312 even comes with a limited lifetime warranty. No one puts a lifetime warranty on a shotgun, except Girsan and EAA Corp.

https://www.cheaperthandirt.com/eaa...furniture-matte-black-390145/GUN-286-012.html

https://www.sportsmansguide.com/product/index/eaa-girsan-mc312-semi-automatic-12-gauge-28-barrel-51-rounds?a=2216347&CJ=1&cjaffilid=4084797&cjaffsite=Apps+47%2c+Inc&cjadv=CJTSGUSA&cjadvid=1522857&utm_source=Apps+47%2c+Inc&utm_medium=CJ&utm_campaign=CJ+Google+Product+Feed&cjevent=847bc3b444a211ea820901a60a240612

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Be sure to handle the model before purchase. I find many to have the ribs too low or the receiver blocking it (Stoeger OU bad about that).

Also dislike thick wristed shotguns.

Yes, one can adapt to a point. But even starting out some might find they have a preference.

Lucky for me Remington stuff fits me great and I like a " flat " gun ( dont have to aim low ).

Yeah yeah, you point a shotgun and focus on the target ( airborn stuff ).

My Citori magnum hit high and I hate missing. It went bye bye.

Besides, triples are way more cool

Sniper 79

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Oct 7, 2012
    I made the mistake of spending a load on a Benelli inertia gun. Never been kicked so hard by a gun in my life nor could I hit anything with it. It sucked!

Lucky to pedal it off for cost to purchase price. My $300 Benelli Nova pump gun is amazing. It will take whatever abuse you can give it. Cheap reliable and easy to clean.

Banbuddy

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 28, 2020
    Indianapolis
    I made the mistake of spending a load on a Benelli inertia gun. Never been kicked so hard by a gun in my life nor could I hit anything with it. It sucked!

Lucky to pedal it off for cost to purchase price. My $300 Benelli Nova pump gun is amazing. It will take whatever abuse you can give it. Cheap reliable and easy to clean.

At one point I Had a Beretta 1201FP, which had a sharper recoil impulse than any other gun I've ever had. That gun had the precursor to the inertia driven system, if memory serves.

But I don't think that's enough of a reason to abandon the idea of having it. I just liked the balance and pointing of the Benelli I picked up better than everything else.

What kind of Benelli did you have?

BoilerWes

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 2, 2010
    Pendleton
    There was a Winchester SX3 in the classifieds a day or two ago. You may pay more for a Benelli or Beretta, but the SX3 is about as fine a semi auto as you can buy.

Gabriel

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jun 3, 2010
    The shore of wonderful Lake Michigan

I have a M1S90 and don't remember it being bad to shoot. It hasn't been out of the safe in quite a while, though, so maybe I just don't remember correctly or it knocked me out.

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    I have a M1S90 and don't remember it being bad to shoot. It hasn't been out of the safe in quite a while, though, so maybe I just don't remember correctly or it knocked me out.
    The M1S90 recoil isnt bad at all. I took a Louis Awerbuck shotgun class back in the day with one, 350 rounds 200 being full power slugs and buck.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 6, 2014
    Columbus
    The two shotguns you listed are inertia-operated, so for under $400, I would suggest looking at the EAA GiRSAN MC312 12 Gauge Semi-Auto Shotgun 28" Barrel 3.5" Chamber Inertia Driven System Screw-In Choke System Synthetic Furniture Matte Black 390145.

MC312 Shotgun

This shotgun is tough and versatile! Out of the box the MC312 runs 12GA 23/4", 3" and 3.5". We even tested target loads, 12GA 23/4" and hot 3.5", mixed in the same mag tube and the shotgun still functioned. This is a very difficult task for most shotguns as it requires the bolt to cycle back far enough to load the 12GA 3.5", but using only the energy from a target load 12GA 23/4". EAA really abused this gun in testing. They ran 700 rounds continuous leaving no time to cool, mixed and matched ammo in a single mag tube, and put it through some of the most grueling tests they could come up with. EAA ran the first 5000 rounds with zero cleaning, then ran a 10,000 round endurance test without replacing any parts. For the last test, they disassembled 5 shotguns, placed the parts in a box, mixed the parts up and reassembled the guns with a random selection. The MC312 fired with no adjustment needed.

The GIRSAN MC312 even comes with a limited lifetime warranty. No one puts a lifetime warranty on a shotgun, except Girsan and EAA Corp.

https://www.cheaperthandirt.com/eaa...furniture-matte-black-390145/GUN-286-012.html

https://www.sportsmansguide.com/product/index/eaa-girsan-mc312-semi-automatic-12-gauge-28-barrel-51-rounds?a=2216347&CJ=1&cjaffilid=4084797&cjaffsite=Apps+47%2c+Inc&cjadv=CJTSGUSA&cjadvid=1522857&utm_source=Apps+47%2c+Inc&utm_medium=CJ&utm_campaign=CJ+Google+Product+Feed&cjevent=847bc3b444a211ea820901a60a240612

Does anyone on here have any experience with Girsan? That's a pretty good sales pitch and price

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Have heard others claim inertia guns beat them up.
    And they of some shotgun experience.

I dunno, never shot one.
    Suspect the inertia may have a slight add, but that gun fit was the problem (either fit or form).

It may be that a little loss of gun weight factors in.

I'm sold on the old 1100's. Heavy,. dirty but they are COMFORTABLE for me to shoot.
    And being just an average slob, they fit me very well.

Not perfect but good enough.

Shotguns, like archery..............one can have a lot of fun, at some expense, trying to find what works best.
    That magic bow or shotgun, reflexive.

I guess once one has found it, from then on everything is wonderful.
    It appears that most folks never find it and blow a lof of money on the way.

Lazy or cheapskate, I found something that works fairly well.
    So I'm sticking with it.

I'll never shoot 100 straight, never limit on doves w just a box of shells.
    I'm not going to add to my life's frustrations looking for the perfect shotgun.

Think for those wanting an HD rig, or an everything shotgun, there is a wider range of acceptable.

Banbuddy

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 28, 2020
    Indianapolis
    Have heard others claim inertia guns beat them up.
    And they of some shotgun experience.

I dunno, never shot one.
    Suspect the inertia may have a slight add, but that gun fit was the problem (either fit or form).

It may be that a little loss of gun weight factors in.

I'm sold on the old 1100's. Heavy,. dirty but they are COMFORTABLE for me to shoot.
    And being just an average slob, they fit me very well.

Not perfect but good enough.

Shotguns, like archery..............one can have a lot of fun, at some expense, trying to find what works best.
    That magic bow or shotgun, reflexive.

I guess once one has found it, from then on everything is wonderful.
    It appears that most folks never find it and blow a lof of money on the way.

Lazy or cheapskate, I found something that works fairly well.
    So I'm sticking with it.

I'll never shoot 100 straight, never limit on doves w just a box of shells.
    I'm not going to add to my life's frustrations looking for the perfect shotgun.

Think for those wanting an HD rig, or an everything shotgun, there is a wider range of acceptable.

How do you feel about the 11-87? I honestly don't know, and have a hard time discerning the difference between the 1100 and the 11-87.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Stoeger makes good, reasonably priced shotguns.

I long for A Remington 1100. But my wallet laughs at me. Stoeger is in my budget.

My all time favorite shotgun is my Stoeger Condor. Its a utility grade O/U. Nothing fancy, no scrollwork, and the stock is spartan and utilitarian. But it shoots well and only cost me $400.

I'd say as long as you dont plan on running 100 rounds a weekend at the trap range every weekend every summer, It should serve you well.

I'd think you'd be able to find a reasonable cheap used 1100. I sold mine because I don't like the cross bolt safety.

Stoeger actually makes a left handed O/U, so it's on my radar.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    I got soured on 1187's from the get go.
    Crooked Remchoke machining made all new Remingtons a no go for a while.
    Some supposed other issues w 1187s.
    My buddy got three new ones in a row that sucked.
    I had old 1100s, standard and magnum, that ran flawless.

So that's what I stick with.
    And I've not been disappointed.
    Have bought Remchoke bbls for two of them, one new (said "designed by Remington- suspect Hastings made it, perfect machining) and one used "made by Remington".
    The latter has rib anti glare that matched that on the receiver top.
    Both put em where they were supposed to.

Ive bought a couple beater 1100's pretty darn cheap.
    Current one is Special Purpose magnum. Gunkoted w used bbl and new synth stock.

Don't see the need for the 1187.
    Had about $600 in my 1100 magnum AND 1100 standard gun.

Sure an old one in minty shape w nice wood is fetching a decent penny these days.
    I've had four of em (three being magnums).
    Too nice n shiny for my hunting needs.

My beaters kill stuff quite well.

Last edited:

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Not saying the 1100 is perfect.
    I think them heavy (not necessarily a bad thing) and kinda dirty.
    Also slow and clunky.
    But they fit and work very well for me and I am content with "good enough".

They might not feel right for some folks.

two70

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Feb 5, 2016
    Johnson
    I have a M3000 and have friends with Benelis based on my experience waterfowl hunting with it for several years, the Benelis had fewer problems but not enough fewer to warrant the extra $$$ in my opinion. I never had any failures to feed or eject but the action would noticeably slow down in sub freezing temps, especially if it had not been cleaned and well oiled between hunts. It was also prone to click no bang on occasion also known as the "Beneli Click". As the name implies, Benelis also have the same problem though less frequently if my friend's shotguns were any indication. The solution, racking the bolt back slightly and letting it slam home, was simple but it's an annoying problem that gets old fast. The finish did hold up fairly well to the abuse but not quite as well as the Benelis. Recoil is definitely slightly heavier on the inertia guns compared to gas operated semi autos I've shot.

All in all, the M3000 is not terrible, provided you keep it clean and know the likely problems going in but IMO there are much better options for slightly more $. I certainly wouldn't pay more for a Beneli though. Were it me, I would check out the CZ SAs or as mentioned the Winchester SX3s. I eventually purchased a EAA MP 153 to be my main waterfowl gun and relegated the M3000 to backup status. The MP 153 has 3.5" chambers and has been completely reliable but is way to clunky for an upland gun, IMO, not to mention they are pretty hard to find.

Banbuddy

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 28, 2020
    Indianapolis
    All in all, the M3000 is not terrible.

Thanks, this is good info. I confirmed without a shadow of a doubt I need a little more "umph" in my arsenal this weekend. My poor old light A5 didn't quite have the reach to communicate with some geese that were above my head. Tough shot for me any way, but I wasn't going back out and it was almost dark.

This is the first I've heard of the bennelli click, but now that you mention it, my old 1201FP did the same thing as what you described. Might start checking out gas guns because of this. I'd love a benelli, but man are they $$$

Top Bottom