• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Sling10mm

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 12, 2012
    Anybody have one of these and care to provide any feedback?

I like the idea of a piston driven AR, but have concerns about proprietary replacement parts, as well as the cost of the upper ($830 for the 10.5" version). If it were $400-500, it wouldn't be too bad, but currently is a little more than I want to spend on something that I couldn't easily, and inexpensively, replace "consumable" parts on.

Sigblitz

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 25, 2018
    Indianapolis
    I have a BRN AR15 and AR10 retro rifle, and I think Del-Ton made them but not 100% sure. I used to know.
    The 180 was made by PWS and FM Products. I'm not sure to guess which made what parts, but if you're familiar with them and trust in what they make, you can go by that.
    Brownells seems to have a way to keep taking our money. Damn you Brownells. :ar15:

ROLEXrifleman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    54   0   0
    Feb 7, 2009
    NW Indiana
    This upper is not “AR” based. Instead it is a platform modified to work on an AR platform lower.

The 180 upper doesn't require a buffer or receiver extension. It’s a different animal.

as far as cost goes, all the parts except firing pin and firing pin retainer clip are proprietary to this upper, so it’s not like off the shelf parts can be used

HKFaninCarmel

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 7, 2019
    Carmel
    A friend of mine in Iowa, who runs Controlled Chaos Arms and writes reviews for Brownells did a piece on the gun earlier this year. They sent him a bunch of parts and had him build it for a review. He loved the gun. Folding stock AR pistol is sweet. I decided to buy it. I'll post pics and review when it arrives.
    https://www.ammoland.com/2020/04/br...iguration-build-up-part-1-of-3/#axzz6LwYLsUkl

His one criticism was the trigger. I really only trust Geissele with AR triggers.

WelchyV90

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2020
    Indiana
    They are neat but if you just want a piston driven AR type there are plenty of options out there like the Adams arms piston kits, and HK 416 and its clones. I have a T-91 clone that I adore which Wolf makes a sudo upper for called the A1. It is usually on sale for 400-500, is a piston driven ar and fits onto the ar-15 lowers. It might be the best option for you, if you are just looking for a piston AR.

arr-597-001.jpg

picture for reference

theundeadelvis

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Feb 3, 2012
    I just finished one. Haven't had any range time yet, but initial impressions are good. Fit and finish is very nice, and stripping it (including handguard removal) is a breeze. It seems like it will make a nice compact jack-of-all-trades type gun.

84UJbOU.jpg

Mr9uhZh.jpg

SmileDocHill

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    61   0   0
    Mar 26, 2009
    Westfield
    I just got the email promoting these from Brownells. They look really cool! It may just be the appearance but it just looks a little more like a battle rifle than the AR uppers for some reason.

ANGAirman

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 23, 2013
    I have had an Adam's Arms upper for years. Never understood why people said they weren't worth it. It's a little heavier than comparable DI uppers but it is so much cleaner than your average AR-15 and it's been just as reliable or more than any Ar-15 or M4 that I have used.

HKFaninCarmel

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 7, 2019
    Carmel
    Brownells released the 300 Blackount 10” upper yesterday and appears to be one of 10 things they still have in stock. I’m hovering over the cart, but I’m still waiting on my 556 to arrive.

Top Bottom