• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • hammer24

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I recently acquired this relatively pristine Remington 03-A3 dating to '43 in a scant stock. I'm thrilled to have got it, but am having trouble finding any real info on it. I've scoured the web with no results of an example with similar stamps. I know it is Chinese translated "Safe for use", the nice young lady at the local Chinese buffet helped me with that. I know we sent some rifles to them during WWII to fend off the Japanese, and more during their civil war, but haven't found any examples online. Any insight would be appreciated.
    d3Ahm7F.jpg

NPHZOXT.jpg

X5EgS75.jpg

rob63

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    May 9, 2013
    There is a Chinese militia marksmanship training manual that mentions the Model 1903, but I don't have anything else to add to your mystery. I think you are correct to assume it was likely given to the Nationalist Chinese.
    [FONT=&amp]
    [/FONT]
    Edwin H. Lowe Publishing: Militia Marksmanship Training Manual (Rifle and Submachine Guns). Type 53 Mosin Nagant, Chiang Kai-shek Mauser, Arisaka and M1903 Springfield Rifles; Type 50 (PPSh-41) and Type 54 (PPS-43) Submachine Guns.[FONT=&amp]
    [/FONT]

attachment.php
    [FONT=&amp]

[/FONT]

[FONT=&amp]

[/FONT]

[FONT=&amp]

[/FONT]

Sgt7330

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 25, 2011
    Rush Co.
    Last edited:

hammer24

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    UPDATE:
    Mr. Beard and the guys at the CMP forum had a lot of info. The rifle seems to be an oddball, as nobody to this point has seen an 03a3 with a similar stamp. Many m1903s had this mark carved in to the stocks by the Nationalist Chinese, though. Federal ordnance imported a bunch of these m1903s in the 80s, and just about all of them were in really rough shape. This rifle was most likely rebuilt at some point, due to its exceptional condition, and possibly received on Taiwan after the civil war. That is just a hypothesis though. Here is a link to the thread over at CMP with quite a bit more info.

Chinese 03-A3? - CMP Forums

Top Bottom