• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    I had one for a bit, extremely fun to shoot, and fairly reliable if you got a good magazine. The BAN saw me realizing a decent profit rather than keep it.

tmschuller

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Feb 25, 2013
    Grant county
    I’m trying to find out information on it and my son told me about a movie that they were used in and made them popular.. anyone fill in the details?

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    I’m trying to find out information on it and my son told me about a movie that they were used in and made them popular.. anyone fill in the details?
    Calico’s have been in probably 100 movies from Bad Boys to Spaceballs, not sure what the one you’re looking for is?

tmschuller

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Feb 25, 2013
    Grant county
    I thought spaceballs from memory but it was a little fuzzy this morning.. especially after meetings... I am going to have time this evening to see how it is made. The stock is very different.. maybe hasbro or pre mellisa and doug ish but not made from wood

shootersix

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2009
    they also made a pistol, plus they made them in 9mm that held 50 rounds but as others have said, i hear reliability is an issue.

my former neighbor bought one in 22 and said it shot fine, but as I told him load Monday thru Saturday, and shoot on sunday! that and good luck finding spare mags and parts! (affordable anyway!), two years ago at our gun club auction night a guy had a 9mm rifle and a 9mm pistol, each with one mag, and his reserve was 1700.00 for the pair!...didn't get one bid!

tmschuller

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Feb 25, 2013
    Grant county
    I will eventually sell this one . This another gun I bought in a collection and Ingo has been a great source of knowledge for me. I have no desire to shoot it but it looks fun and 100 rounds. Initially I thought it was loaded from the grip. I have not had any time to mess with. Thanks again for the information

pmorriso

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 14, 2010
    Columbus, IN
    They are a lot of fun but the design is inherit to reliability issues if the bolt and magazines are not maintained. I've owned both the .22 rifle and pistol and of the two the pistol has been much more reliable. This one looks super clean. Nice find!

pmorriso

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 14, 2010
    Columbus, IN
    The magazine alone sells for around $100 in good shape. The main spring in the magazine is normally the culprit behind most of the reliability issues. Read the manual(pay attention to the how to load and maintain the magazine) and shoot it! Time yourself on how long it takes to load the magazine vs how quick you can dump it :)

indykid

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2008
    Westfield
    They were laser shooters in Spaceballs!

I fell in love with their space age looks a long time ago. According to the factory people I spoke to after the sale of the company back to a few initial employees, the top rifle was modified by one of their engineers to use standard muzzle attachments. Unfortunately they couldn't continue because the clinton stupidity wouldn't allow it, not to mention getting the full auto line shut down.

attachment.php

Having the manual is extremely important in owning this oddity as it explains the proper procedure for winding the mag main spring. Unfortunately that was the weak link in the rifle. I bought several extra springs as well as several back up mags just in case springs no longer became available.

As best as I can tell, parts are still available at https://calicolightweaponsystems.com/

IUKalash429

Bullet Hose
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Apr 6, 2019
    Rum Ham

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    I've only sold 3 guns in my life, and I regretted selling 2 of them.

This was NOT one of those 2.

To be truthful, I can't remember which exact model I had.
    It was a 9mm, I had a 100 round, and a 50 round magazine.
    The rear sight, is on the magazine itself.

Yes, you had to count how many times you wound the magazine up.
    Too much, and you might break it.
    Too little, and many feed problems.
    And, the 50 round, and 100 round mags, had different amounts you had to wind them. So I almost had to label the damn mags to keep track.

Course, no matter what, I had feed problems.
    Eventually, I didn't want an unreliable weapon, and I sold it.

Not saying all of them are like this.
    But this is just my experience with them.

SSE

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 16, 2010
    Tippecanoe Co.
    I have had a couple and my friends have had a couple, 9 and 22.
    Yes, you do have to load and wind the drums correctly. Good ammo in the 22 helps alot and if feeding problems occur put 1 or 2 more turns on the spring.
    The 9mm will not feed Blaser alum. cases. Other than that they are, were, good guns.

spencer rifle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Apr 15, 2011
    Scrounging brass
    I had 3 M900 rifles at one point, now have only one. Two of them had the usual reliability problems, usually light strikes, and they were sold at a slight profit.
    The remaining one has the latest serial number and is quite reliable. Have the Calico loader (helps a little but requires careful usage) along with 2-50 round and 4-100 round magazines.
    Pros:
    100 rounds!
    Looks cool!
    Easy to shoot especially with the front grip
    Fully adjustable front sight
    Fully ambidextrous (except the charging handle) and downward ejecting

Cons:
    Short sight radius
    Horrible cheek weld, especially with the 100 round mag
    Rear sight is attached to the mag, introducing error
    As mentioned above, mags require careful use. I actually wrote the number of turns needed on each mag in white paint, since they are stored unwound.

russc2542

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Oct 24, 2015
    Columbus
    they also made a pistol, plus they made them in 9mm that held 50 rounds but as others have said, i hear reliability is an issue.

my former neighbor bought one in 22 and said it shot fine, but as I told him load Monday thru Saturday, and shoot on sunday! that and good luck finding spare mags and parts! (affordable anyway!), two years ago at our gun club auction night a guy had a 9mm rifle and a 9mm pistol, each with one mag, and his reserve was 1700.00 for the pair!...didn't get one bid!

wow yea that's optimistic by about 50% from what I've seen.

I have a 9mm rifle model, the 100rounder actually seems to feed better than the 50 but that may also just me a matter of ratios. My mags have the turns molded in the rear so you can look it up.

Actually pretty accurate and very light recoiling (less than my AR15 PCC and pistol).

Man, I'd forgotten how bad their webstore is

Top Bottom