• ...and so much more!
  • stubnt

Plinker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 31, 2015
    wc
    Long time listener 1st time caller. Not sure how to start so here goes.

Anybody ever seen a Ruger 77/357 blued?

Been watching ads for a while and not seen one come up for sale, but I think some were made.

I have a Handi in 357 that I reamed out to Max. I love the cartridge but not so much the rifle. Never did shoot anything with it.

Curious if anybody around here has deer hunted with a 357 and how it worked.

thanks

Restroyer

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 13, 2015
    SE Indiana
    I have taken deer with my Ruger 77/357 (use Jacketed Soft Point ammo). Mine is stainless steel. I have never personally saw one that is blued.

Sgt7330

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 25, 2011
    Rush Co.
    Shot placement means everything but I like more umff in my deer guns. My son has killed 3 with a .44 mag rifle and other than the perfect heart shot on one, I wasn’t impressed with the results.
    Look at the energy ft lbs. I wasn’t impressed with what I saw on two of the three deer he killed.
    Here is some energy info on the cartridge,
    357 Magnum Ballistics Chart | Ballistics 101

Last edited:

SNAFU-M1A

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 19, 2009
    Morgan Co
    Yes, they made a blued 77/357 but nowhere like you see the stainless models. A member here had one for sale a few years ago but wanted too much for it & I don’t think it sold. I would much rather have the blued model, I don’t care for stainless, but the few times I’ve seen them show up for sale they were asking more than I felt they were worth

stubnt

Plinker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 31, 2015
    wc
    I can't warm up to the stainless look either.

If anybody knows that member who had it, I'd like to get in touch.

I can't PM anybody yet.

Restroyer

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 13, 2015
    SE Indiana
    I can't warm up to the stainless look either.

If anybody knows that member who had it, I'd like to get in touch.

I can't PM anybody yet.

If you become a Site Supporter you will be able to PM him and buy / sell guns. Otherwise you aren't allowed to use the Classifieds until you get 50 posts (or become a site supporter). Warning: The Moderators don't like people skirting the rules.

nipprdog

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Jan 11, 2009
    Tippecanoe county
    If you become a Site Supporter you will be able to PM him and buy / sell guns. Otherwise you aren't allowed to use the Classifieds until you get 50 posts (or become a site supporter). Warning: The Moderators don't like people skirting the rules.

Give him a break. he's only ad 5 years to get 47 more posts. ;)

stubnt

Plinker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 31, 2015
    wc
    Sorry, didn't mean to be a deadbeat, so I just paid the cover.

SS, have you taken your deer with cast or jacketed? I have a supply of XTP's in 158 and 180 gr.

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 3, 2008
    central indiana

SS, have you taken your deer with cast or jacketed? I have a supply of XTP's in 158 and 180 gr.

last 5+ years have been 140 g Barnes XPB
    before that was 158 JSP
    i think I once used Gold dot HP and was not happy.. it blew just under the skin & didn't get to the gear box.

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 3, 2008
    central indiana

if you are going to load hunting rounds for the 77/357 I would not use cast.. you can push it much faster with the rifle barrel than you can with a handgun.. So you really want to use good jacketed or solid copper rounds..
    I have 2 reloading books that list .357 mag loads for rifle action only.. and they can really push the bullets..

Restroyer

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 13, 2015
    SE Indiana
    My Ruger 77/357 performs best on deer with a jacketed soft point 158 grain by Federal. I do the shoulder shot. I deer hunt more nowdays with a muzzle loader but occasionally I still use my Ruger 77/357. My kids love to shoot .38 special in it for target shooting and plinking.

ws6duramax

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Nov 21, 2011
    Metamora
    I own a couple of the SS models , can't say I have ever seen a blued 357 . Good little guns . The kids love shooting .38 specials thru them , then load them with 357 and go hunting .

rmw250

Marksman
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Oct 28, 2014
    Kokomo
    There is currently a blued 77/357 listed on armslist. Believe it is in the indianapolis area. Hope this helps

Top Bottom