• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • daddyusmaximus

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.9%
    87   1   0
    Aug 21, 2013
    Remington
    I have always thought the Scout Rifle concept was an interesting, and versatile one. Some rifles that have always caught my eye are the "tanker" Garands, and the M1A Scout Squad. They just have a real cool look that I thought was handy, and could lend them to the scout rifle concept. I wanted to stay with a bolt gun though, and the Lee Enfield has always fascinated me by the cock on close design, and 10 round magazine. I decided to make a "tanker" Lee Enfield version of a Scout Rifle.

I like the design, and the look of the No4 Mk 1 more than any other, so that had to be the one. Also, I wanted it to look very close to a normal issue rifle when I got done, just with the enhancements to suit me that I wanted. That meant I was going to need a complete rifle to start with. I couldn't just grab up any old bubbaed up sporter. I needed all the top wood, everything. Well, I found one. I found one so nice I started second guessing if I wanted to do this, but I'm not a collector. Never have been, never will be. I care zero about dollar value, only my enjoyment of what I buy. I got the gun, and I started in. BTW, the receiver had previously been drilled and tapped for a scope mount, but the mount was not on it, and one screw was broke off in a hole...

I took it apart, and off to the gunsmith she went. A week later, and the 25" barrel is now 18" with an 11 degree target crown. The original front sight has been moved back with about 1.75" or barrel poking out in front of it just as in the original. However, it doesn't have the little tabs for mounting a bayonet anymore... They don't make the Clifton mounts for the Lee Enfield anymore, so he took some bar stock and turned me down a custom mount to fit the barrel. It's pressed on, then two set screws hold it in place as he dimpled the barrel. On top of that is a section of picatinny rail I gave him to work with.

The rear sight will be in the way of the scope as it will sit pretty low, so I had him remove the long range (600M) peep. I can't see very far to shoot with irons anyhow. I'll leave the 300M peep pointed back, (flat) to use the scope, then flip it up should I have to remove the scope and use the iron sights. As it sits now, I'm starting in on the wood work modifying the stock to shorten it so that it maintains the classic looks, but in a shorter package. The top wood has the front piece shortened, the rear piece a hole cut for the mount to stick up through. The fore end has been shortened and reshaped (roughly) to fit the black metal end cap. I'm replacing the butt stock with one from Boyd's as I want more of a pistol grip style, but I'm going to attempt to affix the brass butt plate, and original sling swivel to it. Then everything will be refinished to match. There's still a lot of wood work to do to get the shape the way I want it, but the idea is there... My first try at reshaping a stock too, so I'm trying not to screw it up, and have to go shopping for another stock... Scope is the 2.5 Leupold, and a set of low QD Leupold rings, and a pair of scope caps are on the way. Then I'll have to find a sling.

ua22W01.jpg

sGJEUXg.jpg

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 6, 2014
    Columbus
    I dig it, but I'm more of a performance guy vs appearance so I'm curious about the before and after accuracy of the barrel modifications. Did you put any holes in paper beforehand?

daddyusmaximus

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.9%
    87   1   0
    Aug 21, 2013
    Remington
    I dig it, but I'm more of a performance guy vs appearance so I'm curious about the before and after accuracy of the barrel modifications. Did you put any holes in paper beforehand?

Nope. These are not known to be target grade rifles, but they can do fairly well sometimes. Typically they have the wood pushing on the barrel at the muzzle. With me having to shorten the wood, the barrel is at a point where it is free floating within the stock on the bottom, and just barely touching on the top wood. It is touching at the point of the scope mount. This is probably why it's touching on top as of right now, but I could relieve under that more if need be. I could always go back and glass in a pressure point up front if need be too like they originally had, but I'm gonna wait to see if it needs it with the short barrel first. I just need it to be able to hit minute of deer size game, or minute of bad guy at say 250 yds or so. With my eyes, and the 2.5 power scope, that's all I'll be able to engage. If I can get it to shoot a 2" group, (@100) I'll be happy as hell.

daddyusmaximus

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.9%
    87   1   0
    Aug 21, 2013
    Remington
    Did the sanding, and two coats of stain today, but not sure I'm gonna come out with a perfect match. The 80+ year old Canadian front wood, and the bran new Boyd's butt stock isn't made of the same stuff... Probably close enough for me normally, but I really wanted this to be nice, so I may look for someone who does refinishing of furniture look at it. My woodworking skills are make stuff strong, not pretty.

daddyusmaximus

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.9%
    87   1   0
    Aug 21, 2013
    Remington
    One of my college roommates passed this morning. He stood up with me when I got married. Things will be hectic now for a bit, and I'll be heading out of town to see him one last time, but I found a local lady who does stain for a living to re-finish the stock on the Lee Enfield for me. At least now the 75+ year old Cherry, and the bran new Pine will look all the same color when I go pick it up. Also dropped the action back off at the smith to have the mount lowered a bit.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    I'd like to find a nice Swedish m1894 carbine. Chambed in 6.5x55. I've wanted one since I first saw one at a flea market. I was to young to buy it nor did I have the money to get it.

Top Bottom