• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • kawtech87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 17, 2011
    Martinsville
    Anyone have any experience with these? Looking for a decent cheap O/U or SxS shotgun just for fun. I've also looked at the Stoger Condor line if anyone wants to chime in on those too, any info is much welcomed.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    LOVE my Condor. Its not pretty, but for $400 it runs well. I'd not expect it to last if I ran a full run of sporting clays ever single weekend, but for a casual clay buster she works beautifully.

My only complaint is the auto safety. (safety engages automatically when it is broken open) But that can be fixed by removing a bar in the internals and inserting an 8 cent roll pin.

kawtech87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 17, 2011
    Martinsville
    That's one thing I didn't like about the Condor. I don't know if the BAT has auto safety though. The BAT also has barrel selectors which I like over the Condor also.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    The Black Aces is very different than the Stoeger Condor. SXS's are cool. You just need to decide what you will use it for, I guess. I always liked the look of a SXS, especially a coach gun, but for actual use, I prefer the O/U.

Budget friendly shotguns like Stoegers, CZ's, etc are fine for all but avid clays shooters. I had a CZ that got fairly loose after one season of Trap. I sold it to a guy who was going to use it occasionally. I imagine it will last him forever.

Investment grade shotguns are for the serious shotgunner that wants to maintain a tight lock up 100,000 shells down the road. They have the added benefit of holding their value as time goes on.

Beyond one of the "B" brands, I think it becomes an ego thing to own an uber expensive shotgun. Unless you earn your living with it. :twocents: I have shot a $10,000 shotgun. It was nice but there is no way I would own one.

kawtech87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 17, 2011
    Martinsville
    Not looking for an investment shotgun, my dad has a few of those I don't really want to shoot. Something to beat around the woods with. Shoot for fun because double barreled shotguns look cool and just to have something I can use and abuse and not spend 3k+ on. Leaning toward the O/U because I like the look better

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    That's one thing I didn't like about the Condor. I don't know if the BAT has auto safety though. The BAT also has barrel selectors which I like over the Condor also.

Its a trivial fix. Remove one piece, and replace with a cheap pin you can buy at Ace Hardware. I think you might have to cut down the pin. I dont recall. I have the pin and instructions somewhere, I just havent taken the time to do the fix.

two70

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Feb 5, 2016
    Johnson
    They may be a bit hard to find but the EAA/Baikal Bounty Hunter/Remington Spartan line of competitively priced SXSs and O/Us are where I would start looking if I wanted a fun gun to shoot a lot. They are built like tanks.

Ricnzak

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Nov 15, 2008
    Noblesville
    Might be fun to find a older full size gun and cut it down. Post up what you get. My wife bought me the stainless Stoeger coach gun. I feel like pimp daddy when I get that bad boy out. :pimp:

Banbuddy

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 28, 2020
    Indianapolis
    Other than aesthetics, and the aforementioned auto safety, does anyone have anything negative to say about the operation of either the BAT or the Condor? I've had an eye on a Condor for a while, just never pulled the trigger.

Banbuddy

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 28, 2020
    Indianapolis
    I just saw that there's not just one type of Condor ... there's like 20. Kind of cool they have different setups for waterfowl, home defense, skeet.

kawtech87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 17, 2011
    Martinsville
    Other than aesthetics, and the aforementioned auto safety, does anyone have anything negative to say about the operation of either the BAT or the Condor? I've had an eye on a Condor for a while, just never pulled the trigger.

I've heard tails of them occasionally firing both barrels at the same time. This goes for both manufacturers. Personally I'm leaning towards the Condor mostly because there may be better post purchase support from a larger company. Hard to say though

I just saw that there's not just one type of Condor ... there's like 20. Kind of cool they have different setups for waterfowl, home defense, skeet.

Yeah crazy isn't it. I'm looking at the Outback model.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Thanks for the nudge, OP. After having the roll pin for only 4 or 5 years, I FINALLY took the time to disable the auto safety tonight on my Condor. Took about 30 mins because I had to sand down the roll pin a bit for it to fit, then polish the ends because that pin also rides along a flat piece of spring steel for the detent action. Just too gritty and hard without polishing the pin smooth.

Nazgul

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 2, 2012
    Near the big river.
    imagejpeg

I have one one of these, CZ Coach gun. Very well made sold lock up. About $700.

Don

kawtech87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 17, 2011
    Martinsville
    Thanks for the nudge, OP. After having the roll pin for only 4 or 5 years, I FINALLY took the time to disable the auto safety tonight on my Condor. Took about 30 mins because I had to sand down the roll pin a bit for it to fit, then polish the ends because that pin also rides along a flat piece of spring steel for the detent action. Just too gritty and hard without polishing the pin smooth.

:yesway:

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area

If only it was cut for chokes I wouldn't have made this thread. It is a little more expensive but I love the case hardened look

[STRIKE]The Condors now have chokes? Mine doesnt.[/STRIKE]

Disregard. I'm smoking crack. It does.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom