Wanting to buy a Tikka TX3 Tac A1 but....

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TiMMaY

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 19, 2014
    Martinsville
    I can not seem to find a gun shop in Indiana that carries one in stock and I am hesitant in purchasing one online without putting my hands on one first. Is there any one in central Indiana that already owns one that would not mind meeting up somewhere?

Tim

NyleRN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Dec 14, 2013
    Scottsburg
    What's your reservations about it that makes you feel like you need to handle before buying? Is it just generalizations about the firearm model or do you feel the need to actually handle the actual gun you will purchase?

TiMMaY

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 19, 2014
    Martinsville
    I will answer your question with a question, would you go buy a new car without testing driving it or atleast sitting in it to make sure you can fit inside? I guess before I drop $1800 on a rifle, I want to make sure that I am comfortable with it.

ibwaltb

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Jan 23, 2018
    Fishers
    Before I start a new post, I'll tag onto this one. Found the Tikka T3x TAC for $1200 online. I'm considering the 20" 308 due to weight savings. Here's the link: https://www.scopelist.com/tikka-t3x-tac-a1-rifles.aspx?affid=gundeals-12-MAY-2020

Would be selling my CZ500 308 and replace it with this one, as it provides more flexibility with attachments. Which barrel length (20" vs 24") one would you suggest and why? Is there a clear advantage over the other besides muzzle velocity? More flexibility with the 24" for off-the-shelf loads?

Last edited:

ibwaltb

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Jan 23, 2018
    Fishers
    I bought mine through buds I believe back when they first came out. I love it. 6.5cm

Is this a rifle that you would consider keeping for the next decade and well worth the $1300 spent? I like to be frugal, but if this is a rifle that can 'do it all' then I'm OK with spending the cash if it's a good deal.

sheepdog697

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Sep 2, 2015
    Cedar Lake
    Buying The ctr version and dropping it in an aftermarket stock is an option.

1. same EXACT action, minus the 2 stage trigger. I use the yo Dave spring and have my tikka ctr trigger at about 3lbs even

2. you can pick any chassis you want, probably end up saving weight

3. ability to use AI pattern mags vs the proprietary tikka mags

tac a1 is a solid rifle. Just giving you another option.

sheepdog697

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Sep 2, 2015
    Cedar Lake

That’s mine.

tikka ctr 6.5 24”
    krg X-ray chassis
    yo Dave trigger spring
    Silencerco omega
    vortex razor 5-20

They really do shoot lights out for factory guns. Sub 1/2 moa is capable when the user does their part. Only “downside” is their barrels are slightly slower than say a bartlein or Krieger. For most people that isn’t an issue, and it’s not for me.

ibwaltb

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Jan 23, 2018
    Fishers
    Thanks for your input guys. Really impressed with the 6.5 Creedmoor results above..not to mention the very nice accessories.
    I'm thinking this might be the one center-fire bolt action rifle I'll need to cover all my bases and become proficient with. There many chassis options out there as well once I started looking across different websites. Once I part with the CZ550, I know where the money will be used towards. I've debated in my mind about 6.5 vs. 308 and I've decided to stick with 308 for future reloading purposes.

sheepdog697

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Sep 2, 2015
    Cedar Lake
    Thanks for your input guys. Really impressed with the 6.5 Creedmoor results above..not to mention the very nice accessories.
    I'm thinking this might be the one center-fire bolt action rifle I'll need to cover all my bases and become proficient with. There many chassis options out there as well once I started looking across different websites. Once I part with the CZ550, I know where the money will be used towards. I've debated in my mind about 6.5 vs. 308 and I've decided to stick with 308 for future reloading purposes.

The krg bravo is a solid choice and probably one of the most cost effective. My friend has his in the mpa BA chassis and its AMAZING.

What kind of range access do you have? Do you have the opportunity to shoot out beyond 1000yds often? Im not an "experienced" long range shooter(amateur at best), but for me i get way more first round hits out to distance with the 6.5 than the .308. Wind is the big player here especially when you are shooting across cornfields and the wind is gusting.

I had the tikka ctr in .308 as well for a little while. Here is some dope for comparison between the .308 20" CTR and the 6.5 24" CTR

6.5CM 140gr ELD hornady(2680 fps) at 800yards 6.0 MIL elevation, and .85mil for 5mph wind 1.58 for 10mph wind
    .308 175gr SMK FGMM (2490fps) at 800yds 8.56 MIL elevation, and 1.36mil for 5mph wind, 2.55mil for 10mph wind.

**** 9 o clock wind values ****

Last edited:

Hohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    USA
    I think one could do really well buying the cheapest Tikka in the caliber you want, then shucking off the stock for a chassis, and maybe installed a prefit barrel as an upgrade from the (likely) sporter weight that it came with.

$600 gets you the cheapest Tikka in a short action. Add $1000 for a good chassis and $450 for a Bix'n Andy and you've got something. Put another $500 into a prefit match barrel and you'll have a $2500 rig that will run with any full on custom because it's 90% of the same parts. The action is the best part of a Tikka anyway, and the chassis solves the mag issue.

ibwaltb

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Jan 23, 2018
    Fishers
    sheepdog697, appreciate the shared knowledge and subtle advice :bash: of choosing the 6.5CM. One big perk was the TAC + Vortex combo, only in 308. If you've already sold your 308 and kept the 6.5CM I think I can wait a couple months to see what happens with the 6.5CM models...I just need to resist the temptation to buy a Bren 2 carbine with the gun-fund money. I was settled on the 308 due to the rifle cost and to minimize the number of calibers I have but with results you're posing above, my mind can be changed.
    I usually shoot out to 310yds only a few (2-3) times each year across fields and usually with 223's. Never shot past 310yd mark and no availability in the near future to shoot any further than that.

sheepdog697

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Sep 2, 2015
    Cedar Lake
    I think one could do really well buying the cheapest Tikka in the caliber you want, then shucking off the stock for a chassis, and maybe installed a prefit barrel as an upgrade from the (likely) sporter weight that it came with.

$600 gets you the cheapest Tikka in a short action. Add $1000 for a good chassis and $450 for a Bix'n Andy and you've got something. Put another $500 into a prefit match barrel and you'll have a $2500 rig that will run with any full on custom because it's 90% of the same parts. The action is the best part of a Tikka anyway, and the chassis solves the mag issue.

I agree with you here. However, i think unless you want to squeeze more fps out of your barrel the factory does just fine. I can see a barrel swap if someone was shooting matches and they needed the extra velocity.

TANK BOSS

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 27, 2021
    Fishers
    A question from ignorance: why are after-market/custom/high-end barrels "faster" than factory barrels? Are they machined to far higher tolerances, different design, or some composition material factors? Just curious. Thx all.

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    A question from ignorance: why are after-market/custom/high-end barrels "faster" than factory barrels? Are they machined to far higher tolerances, different design, or some composition material factors? Just curious. Thx all.
    When you say faster, are you talking about actual FPS or twist rates?

TANK BOSS

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 27, 2021
    Fishers
    I assume the orginal comment was addressing FPS. In context, I don't think it was addressing twist rate, but that an AM barrel could produce better velocities (?).

Different but related: I assume my SBR (5.56 & 11.5") is gaining some velocity when I shoot it suppressed.
    Once I mount my new can on my T3X (.308), what kind of FPS increase could I expect?
    I'm planning on running the Tikka all-factory parts + a YHM Nitro N20 can. Going to start with 168 & 175 gr.
    Thoughts? Thx!

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    tatdale2
    Top Bottom