• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rooster

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 4, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Like the title says, I run a glock 10mm as my edc. Love how it shoots and no one can argue that it lacks knockdown power. However it seems that the 10mm has a lot of potential out of Longer barreled weapon like a PCC. Why is there a real lack of options? Is there some kind of problem with 10mm in an AR platform?

Areoflyer09

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Feb 28, 2017
    Indianapolis
    CMMG has the Banshee in 10mm with their radial system. New Frontier Armory lists it as well.

From comments on Arfcom, 10mm is hard on the blowback systems.

JStang314

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 8, 2011
    Not as easy as 9mm etc I assume because I don’t think that the blowback option works. Rudy at Macon Armory makes a DI 10mm. That would honestly be the only place I would even think about buying one from.

shootersix

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2009
    Keep an eye out for freedom ordnance’s new product, it should be out soon, it’s an ar9 platform that’ll be convertible for 9,40,45, and..yes 10mm! I know they’re working on it and should be out soon, and the best part is it takes glock mags!

ISP3435

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 27, 2011
    Seems to be growing rapidly to me. I wish there was more 454 cass lever guns to pair up with my revolver. Come on Henry.

Ggreen

Person
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Sep 19, 2016
    SouthEast
    I've dived into this extensively with a very well known pcc builder.

The problem with 40 and 10mm pcc's is the ammo. Flat nose rounds do not feed into a fixed chamber reliably without a good deal of tuning. Pistols feed differently cmc that allows hollow points and flat tip ammo feed fine. The fixed feed ramp and chamber of pcc's tend to be very picky eaters when it comes to flat tip ammo

You see this on range report after range report on the available 40cal bullet based pcc's. Guys will spend a lot of money just to figure out what their carbine will feed.

So going back to my time talking with the manufacturer, it ended up being too risky to put out an upper that only liked "x brand ammo" as most gun owners are uneducated and will smear the brand after their rifle wouldn't feed the cheapest bulk ammo available.

45acp has an extensive history of reliability in carbines with great performance out of longer bbls. 9mm +p is super hot out of a 12" bbl. Kind of negates 10mm anyway

mmpsteve

Real CZ's have a long barrel!!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 14, 2016
    ..... formerly near the Wild Turkey
    I've dived into this extensively with a very well known pcc builder.

The problem with 40 and 10mm pcc's is the ammo. Flat nose rounds do not feed into a fixed chamber reliably without a good deal of tuning. Pistols feed differently cmc that allows hollow points and flat tip ammo feed fine. The fixed feed ramp and chamber of pcc's tend to be very picky eaters when it comes to flat tip ammo

You see this on range report after range report on the available 40cal bullet based pcc's. Guys will spend a lot of money just to figure out what their carbine will feed.

So going back to my time talking with the manufacturer, it ended up being too risky to put out an upper that only liked "x brand ammo" as most gun owners are uneducated and will smear the brand after their rifle wouldn't feed the cheapest bulk ammo available.

45acp has an extensive history of reliability in carbines with great performance out of longer bbls. 9mm +p is super hot out of a 12" bbl. Kind of negates 10mm anyway

I'm really liking my CMMG 10mm so far. Has the 8" barrel, so I'm anxious to get it on the chronograph to compare it to the velocity ratings stated on the boxes. So far, I've only shot the Sig 180 gr. FMJ rated at 1250 fps (out of a 4.6" barrel). No issues so far, but I'll keep my fingers crossed for the HP rounds. Underwood has a 135 gr offering at 1600 fps out of a pistol, a 150 gr round at 1500 fps, and a 165 gr at 1400. I've read that you can push these 40 cal bullets too fast to perform well, so we shall see. I also need to chrono some of the hotter 9mm rounds out of my carbines.

Ggreen

Person
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Sep 19, 2016
    SouthEast
    I'm really liking my CMMG 10mm so far. Has the 8" barrel, so I'm anxious to get it on the chronograph to compare it to the velocity ratings stated on the boxes. So far, I've only shot the Sig 180 gr. FMJ rated at 1250 fps (out of a 4.6" barrel). No issues so far, but I'll keep my fingers crossed for the HP rounds. Underwood has a 135 gr offering at 1600 fps out of a pistol, a 150 gr round at 1500 fps, and a 165 gr at 1400. I've read that you can push these 40 cal bullets too fast to perform well, so we shall see. I also need to chrono some of the hotter 9mm rounds out of my carbines.

Terminal effectiveness is another issue. Some say the extra speed and energy fragments standard hp ammo reducing its effectiveness on targets. I'm not an expert in defensive carbine, I just like shooting so I exclusively use fmj. The extreme penetrator ammo seems to be the answer in the groups I hang out in for those that want to use them for protection.

If you're planning on a self defense pcc plan on spending 3 or 400 in ammo testing. Most pcc's are designed for ball ammo with hopes of defense contracts. Check out any of the major manufacturers social groups and they basically all tell users to use nato rounds when they complain about running issues.

Top Bottom