Any recommendations for a compact folding bolt gun?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    I'd love to get my hands on some kind of a truck / backpack type of rifle that's just simple and nothing fancy. I like the idea of a folding stock for ease of transport and saving space. I can find good deals on new or used Rem 700's or Savage with 18" or 16" barrels and something closer to 16" barrel would be ideal. I just can't seem to find a stock like what I'm looking for that's simple and easy.

Ideally, I'd like to find a "Q Fix" or a Sig Cross type of rig, but I don't want to drop thousands of dollars on this project. Trying to make a po-boy version of those guns.

If anyone has any recommendations I'd love to know about it.

roscott

Master
    Rating - 97.5%
    39   1   0
    Mar 1, 2009
    Does it have to be a bolt action? A Ruger Mini 14 with a butler creek folding stock might fit your bill.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    Does it have to be a bolt action? A Ruger Mini 14 with a butler creek folding stock might fit your bill.

I'm leaning towards the bolt because otherwise I can just push two pins and have an AR-15.

jrh84

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 9, 2009
    Columbus
    Ruger Precision 5.56, although it's not exactly a lightweight. You could find one, chop it to 16", and install a lightweight handguard and get it to a reasonable weight. I'm sure there are a lot of areas to pull some weight out of it other than the handguard and barrel, too.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    A 700 in a Black Collar Arms chassis would do it.

I'd love to have one in 300 BLK.

I agree those pork sword chasis rigs look pretty amazing, but for $500 with a brace that's still a little expensive. I'd love to setup a 700-cp in 300 blackout in one of those rigs and I think you'd really have something, but the 700-cp is almost a grand by itself. I was really hoping to find a slightly used 700 16.5" and some beat up and used folding stock but oh I don't think it's out there.

Ggreen

Person
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Sep 19, 2016
    SouthEast
    I agree those pork sword chasis rigs look pretty amazing, but for $500 with a brace that's still a little expensive. I'd love to setup a 700-cp in 300 blackout in one of those rigs and I think you'd really have something, but the 700-cp is almost a grand by itself. I was really hoping to find a slightly used 700 16.5" and some beat up and used folding stock but oh I don't think it's out there.

You won't get this done under 5 unless you do a lot of it at home on discount bin parts

Sniper 79

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Oct 7, 2012
    Take a cheap whatever flavor you like bolt gun and fabricate it to what you want. Hit Harbor Freight for supplies and get er done!

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    That's sounds like an argument against a bolt gun, not for. What features of a bolt gun are going to make it better for this role than a semi?

I'd agree with this for the most part. My only drive to use a bolt gun is that some times I just like that flavor of a rifle instead of an AR. The rifle will likely get a can on it too so being able to toss on something with a QD mount to make it nice and polite from time to time is a bonus.

M67

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 15, 2011
    Southernish Indiana
    Not to be a Debbie Downer, but what you're looking to do probably doesn't exist unless you want to spend at least a grand on just the rifle. Anything else, just build a cheap AR pistol.

I'm in the same boat, want a couple compactish bolt guns with folding chassis. Went with the Howa Mini Actions for the builds but chassis, especially folding ones, are just expensive. Ordered a JTAC Elf Owl for one with a pic rail rear hoping to run a MPX/MCX on that one unless someone makes a fully adjustable stock that attaches to a pic rail, so far I haven't found it

Another one I ordered was a Southern Cross folding chassis, but for the mini action there's no ETA for those chassis, heard anything from April to August.

Unless you get a steal on a rifle and you're patient on a chassis.....you're going to be dropping some money. Won't be Q Fix or Cross money, but still a chunk

https://jtacindustries.com/collections/howa-mini-action-chassis

https://www.scsa-au.com

Might...MIGHT....get a 700 cheap then just wait out until those Southern Cross chassis are available for one. Or JTAC offers one for a 700....maybe a Black Friday deal on one of the chassis with telescoping stock but they're a small shop and probably doubtful they'll need to run a sale

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    Not to be a Debbie Downer, but what you're looking to do probably doesn't exist unless you want to spend at least a grand on just the rifle. Anything else, just build a cheap AR pistol.

I'm in the same boat, want a couple compactish bolt guns with folding chassis. Went with the Howa Mini Actions for the builds but chassis, especially folding ones, are just expensive. Ordered a JTAC Elf Owl for one with a pic rail rear hoping to run a MPX/MCX on that one unless someone makes a fully adjustable stock that attaches to a pic rail, so far I haven't found it

Another one I ordered was a Southern Cross folding chassis, but for the mini action there's no ETA for those chassis, heard anything from April to August.

Unless you get a steal on a rifle and you're patient on a chassis.....you're going to be dropping some money. Won't be Q Fix or Cross money, but still a chunk

https://jtacindustries.com/collections/howa-mini-action-chassis

https://www.scsa-au.com

Might...MIGHT....get a 700 cheap then just wait out until those Southern Cross chassis are available for one. Or JTAC offers one for a 700....maybe a Black Friday deal on one of the chassis with telescoping stock but they're a small shop and probably doubtful they'll need to run a sale

I think you're right. Everything I'd been looking for before posting led me to believe I wasn't going to find just what I wanted to. This thread is confirming it. I was just hoping that I'd missed something or someone else already figured it out.

Dmac22

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Feb 1, 2020
    COLUMBUS
    Look into one of the Howa mini barreled actions. You maybe able to rig up a small Folding chassis for it if you piece it together.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    What about getting a side charging 300 blackout, or whatever caliber you want and put an on/off gas block on it and you can basically have a bolt action or a semiautomatic.

Don't forget the side folding stock adapter.

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1003379640?pid=486198

https://www.brownells.com/rifle-par...6-gen3-m-folding-stock-adapter-prod71553.aspx

I like what you're thinking here, but I'm not completely sold on the side folding adapters. I'm not sure how much I like the little plug loose part thing and for how much $$$ it costs I'd rather save the money and pop two pins together. Along those lines, an AK with folder would work if it held the accuracy I'm looking for. Speaking of which those new PSA AK-E models are getting some pretty sweet reviews and if that gun shoots accurately enough I may get my mind changed for me.

Ggreen

Person
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Sep 19, 2016
    SouthEast
    I like what you're thinking here, but I'm not completely sold on the side folding adapters. I'm not sure how much I like the little plug loose part thing and for how much $$$ it costs I'd rather save the money and pop two pins together. Along those lines, an AK with folder would work if it held the accuracy I'm looking for. Speaking of which those new PSA AK-E models are getting some pretty sweet reviews and if that gun shoots accurately enough I may get my mind changed for me.

It cost me more than the price of a decent used car to get an AK in 762x39 that shoots just over 1moa. AK is a minute of man gun by nature.

Top Bottom