• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jrh84

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 9, 2009
    Columbus
    I wanted to let everyone know about the upcoming shooting season at Atterbury, and give some info about all the different classes that shoot with us, including a new one for 2020 that lets “normal” rifles compete against each other. See more details on the F-Practical class below.

CIHPRS - CIHPRS Home

Our season is kicking off March 14th with a Midrange match (Midrange = 300, 500, 600 yard). March 15th will be the first long range match (Long range = 800, 900, 1000 yards).

I understand the different classes and matches can get confusing, so I’m going to give a bit of an explanation below.

We shoot 2 main divisions within CIHPRS prone matches: ”sling” and F-class, and more sub categories within those 2 divisions.

Sling
    Shot from 300-1000 yards, some scoped, some only with iron sights. Can only use a sling for support, no front or rear rest. X-ring is 1 MOA, 10 ring is 2 MOA. Within sling there are 3 classes…

Any rifle – may be scoped or iron sights. Some matches will require iron sights to be used for at least 1 of the yardlines. Any caliber is OK as long as it’s .338 or below. The majority here are bolt actions, although some AR type rifles are seen here and there.

Palma rifle – must be .308 or .223 and use iron sights only.

Service rifle – Must be an AR or M1A or M1 Garand. Rules now allow for scopes up to 4.5X magnification. Must use a 1907 sling or web sling.

F-class
    Shot from 300-1000 yards, can use scopes and rests or bipods. No magnification limits on the scopes. X-ring is ½ MOA, 10 ring is 1 MOA. Three main classes within F-Class, with a fourth that's sort of in between...

F-TR (F-Target Rifle) – must be <18 lbs, use a .308 or .223, and must use a bipod for a front rest. Most F-TR rifles will have a specialized bipod with a wide stance and ski feet for better consistency and tracking. The vast majority of F-TR will use a .308, especially for long range. No limits on scope magnification.

F-Open – must be <22 lbs, any caliber .338 or less, can use a bipod or front rest like benchrest. No limits on scope magnification.

NEW FOR 2020 in CIHPRS - F-Practical – Basically any caliber .338 or less, 18 lb weight limit, any sights, and must be shot from a folding bipod (Harris, Atlas, Versapod, Magpul, etc), and a squeeze bag for the rear (no bunny ear bags meant for return-to-battery tracking). We wanted to include this class going forward to get people with “normal” rifles that aren’t custom built for F-class out and competing against each other without having to have some of the exotic front rests or bipods you’ll see in the other classes. A quality hunting rifle, Ruger Precision, Savage Model 10, Bergara, Remington 700, etc would do fine in this class.

AR Midrange Tactical – Must be AR-15 or AR-10 platform rifle, any caliber, 20” barrel or shorter, 15X or less magnification scope, must use a folding bipod and a rear squeeze bag, or can use a single rest like a backpack or ruck bag. No moon-lander bipods or bunny ear rear bags. This is shot at midrange only (300, 500, or 600 yards) on the sling target (1 MOA X-ring, 2 MOA 10-ring), but it’s closer in practice to F-class. If you have a rifle that doesn’t fit the AR MR Tac requirements, no problem, you’ll just shoot in F-class. The idea behind this class is to get some of the millions of AR’s that have been bought in the last 12 years out to a range that goes past 100 yards. It’s fun, it’s addictive, it’s a great learning experience. Try it.

The course if fire for all the different types is basically the same...typically sighters plus 20 rounds per string. For the first string of the day, it’s unlimited sighters (take what you need to get zeroed in), but they don’t count. You declare when you want to “go for record” and your shots count from there on. After the first string, it’s usually 2 convertible sighters.

We use electronic targets vs. pulling the targets down and marking them by hand. This makes the day go much faster and easier. The only stipulation for E-targets is that the bullet has to be supersonic for the system to register (shot is located by triangulating the sonic crack as it passes through 8 microphones on the target face). For midrange (600 yards or closer), this isn’t an issue, but some calibers (.308 and .223) struggle to make it to 1000 yards supersonic, resulting in shots that aren’t scored. You have to push a .308 or .223 REALLY hard and be using a long barrel to get them there over the speed of sound. Pretty much count on having to use 185 gr or heavier bullets in .308, and 88 gr or heavier bullets in .223 over a likely over-book max load of powder to get them there and have them register. Unless you’ve got a powder puff load, a 6.5 Creedmoor or the like should be fine to 1000. Let me know if there are questions on this topic. See attached pic of a screenshot from the E-target system we use.
    Screenshot_20190921-171216_Chrome.jpg

About the only equipment requirements we have are:
    1. No brakes. We're lined up too close to one another, and a brake is painful. If you insist, we'll put you at the far end of the line away from the rest of the crowd. It's a hard requirement for NRA, but we'll still let you shoot.

2. Bring some sort of match bullet. You’ll have more fun, you’ll score higher, and you won’t end up putting a round through an expensive electronic target sensor or frame. It’ll be a better experience all the way around.

There are several folks that shoot with us that are capable of winning just about anything in the country on a good day, both on the F-class and sling side. We’re all helpful, and all had a first match at some point. Come out, let us know that you’re new, and we’ll help get you get a SWAG wind call and elevation adjustment to get you in the aiming black, and you can take it from there.
    If you’ve got a will to learn and can be trusted not to point a rifle at anyone, I can guarantee you’ll have a good time at any match we run.

PM me if there are any questions. I'm happy to help!

See you on the range,
    Ryan Hyslop

Last edited:

Goodcat

From a place you cannot see…
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    151   0   0
    Jan 13, 2009
    New Pal
    Ironically I just emailed Shawn this morning about it. I should be there shooting my first f-class 1000 on 3/15.

Hohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    USA
    Bump. I shot AR Tactical last year as my first foray into match shooting. There's absolutely NO SUBSTITUTE for shooting at real targets at real distance under real conditions to see more what you and your rifle are capable of.

It's fun and very, very educational. And you'll be surrounded by fellow shooters who really want you to succeed.

I'd only add one thing to JRH's excellent OP: if you are shooting a .223 for midrange, plan on having ammo that is at least 68/69gr. Your XM193s and M855 green tip will get manhandled in the wind. It's MUCH easier to stay on target with 69 or (ideally) even heavier. Also, I'm pretty sure the CIHPRS would strongly prefer you not shoot their very expensive electronic target sensors/probes, and your light bullets won't let you confidently avoid that.

Match shooting is a blast. And you will have a much better experience (as well all your fellow shooters) if you prepare appropriately.

Think you and your RPR or other tactical rifle are hot stuff? C'mon out and prove it on a 3" X-ring at 600y!

As was said, 20 rounds per string (up to 10 points and an "X" for each, so a perfect string is 200-20x). Standard match is three strings (60rds) for score, so bring enough ammo to get yourself sighted in and have enough left for scoring. I'd recommend 80 rounds if you are buying 20rd boxes.

See you on the range.

JH

romack991

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 27, 2012
    You mentioned no brakes in the post. Looking on the website, under "any rifle," it say no brakes or suppressors. Would suppressors be allowed in F-Practical?

indyjohn

PATRIOT
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    77   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    In the trees
    You mentioned no brakes in the post. Looking on the website, under "any rifle," it say no brakes or suppressors. Would suppressors be allowed in F-Practical?

No, they would not. And why would you want to shoot competition with one?

That is a rhetorical question, not looking for a response.

natdscott

User Unknown
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 20, 2015

The answer is that yes, if you want to come out and shoot, we’re probably gonna take your money and find a place on the line for ya!

Come out and shoot! It’s way more fun than reading about it here.

Get ahold of Shawn and talk about it.

What you will not be is a classified NRA competitor, nor eligible for winning anything, simply because those sorts of muzzle accoutrements are illegal. Not that that is necessarily a bad thing anyway..it IS just a made-up organization anyway.

If you have a braked rifle, just rest assured you will be shooting by yourself out on the end of the line. Which is fine. The wind is much cooler out there anyway.

Last edited:

jrh84

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 9, 2009
    Columbus
    Nate nailed it. You're welcome to shoot with a suppressor, but you wouldn't be eligible for any records, etc. I understand the rule regarding brakes, but not suppressors. They're welcome to squad with me any day. Weve had a few folks bring suppressed rifles out, and it wasn't an issue at all.

A brake is a different story. You're welcome to being it, just understand we may put you out in the sticks on the far end of the line. It's pretty rough to be in close proximity to a brake for 60/100+ shots per day. Doesnt mean we don't like you, we just like our eardrums to stay intact!

In short, run what ya brung, we'll find a spot for you on the line.

badkyle

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 28, 2020
    West Side
    Question...

I spent a number of years shooting in CMP matches and I am itching to get back into it (I used to live in WA state and had good options there). Atterbury is a bit of a drive for practice but would be worth it for an occasional match....

1. When I went to Atterbury there was only a 100 yard range that I saw. Are the 300, 600, and 1,000 yard ranges part of "Camp Atterbury"? Are they available to the public?

2. Also at Atterbury... I have never been to a range with massive concrete baffles over head. When I got there, I heard someone down on the pistol range and it was the loudest pistol I had ever heard. I thought someone was down there with a hand cannon of some sort.... Nope! Just a 9mm under the baffles. Then I sat down with my .223; Holy hell I have never experienced such a racket from a .223. I typically wear inner ear protection and a pair of muffs so I can focus more and it was still loud. Do the longer ranges also have the concrete baffles over head? I imagine shooting a match with 30 guys down there takes a while to get used to.

3. Practice! I live on the west side of Indy and I am dying for a 100-200 yard outdoor range where I can run my higher power stuff. Does anybody know of anything reasonable (distance and quality of facility)? Atterbury is like an hour and 20 minutes for me which is more of a hike than I prefer for only 100 yards of the loudest shooting imaginable. I saw a possible location called "Custom Cop Corporation" that is about half way to Shelbyville. I saw something about it having a 200 yard range but I can't find any info about the place, there is no website, and I can't get them to call me back. I am dying to shoot some of my high power stuff.

Any guidance and info would be great! Thanks

jrh84

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 9, 2009
    Columbus
    Kyle,
    It'd be good to get you back into shooting some matches again. If you're familiar with the CMP course of fire and protocols, you won't have any issue at all.

Unfortunately we don't have any real "practice" days...just matches, which really are all just practice anyway.

The ranges we shoot on are on the actual base....same ranges the military trains on, same ranges the NRA national matches are held on. We're typically on Range 6, but sometimes on Range 3. They're available to civilian groups like CIHPRS, Revere's Riders, etc. Not completely available to anyone walking in off the street, but available for civilian clubs/organizations who have all the right qualifications.

This is completely separate from the public range that you've been to with the concrete baffles and all that. The guy who runs the public range shoots with us in F-open, and does quite well at it. No baffles, no benches, etc.

Not sure what the "Custom Cop Corporation" in Shelbyville is all about....as far as I know, we're the only game in central Indiana. There's Borden/Southern Indiana Rifle and Pistol Club which is closer to Louisville. They shoot out to 500 yards. Hoosier Hills Rifle and Pistol Club in Nashville, IN has a 200 yard outdoor range, but that's even further of a hike for you.

Gingerbeardman

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Mar 17, 2017
    Anderson
    I'm interested in trying f-practical, I'm zeroed at 150 yards with 55 grain .223 but can bring higher weights. Am I close enough to come out, or do I need to re zero with the higher weight rounds before the event? Currently I'm limited to 150 for max range to zero. I'm new to long range. Thanks!

jrh84

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 9, 2009
    Columbus
    I'm interested in trying f-practical, I'm zeroed at 150 yards with 55 grain .223 but can bring higher weights. Am I close enough to come out, or do I need to re zero with the higher weight rounds before the event? Currently I'm limited to 150 for max range to zero. I'm new to long range. Thanks!

If you've got any zero at all, we'll quickly get you dialed in at 300 yards. The target is pretty big, so it's easy to get "on paper," but the X-ring is tiny.

Come up another 3 moa from your 150 yard zero, and you'll be good to go. Our Silver Mountain electronic targets make it super easy to see how much you need to adjust by giving you a 1 moa grid superimposed on the target.

See attached pic as an example. I needed to come up 1 moa (1 square), and this would have been a 100-8X instead of 100-1X.
    Hope this helps.

Screenshot_20190601-110958_Chrome.jpg

Last edited:

76Too

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Dec 9, 2019
    Just Passing Through
    Is there any advantage in scoring, or a separate class for iron sights rifles? I've got an old pig of an M1A I would like to take out...but if there's no advantage, I might just stick with an AR. I'm definitely more interested in 'sling' mid-range because I want to start competing in high power, but might also consider taking out my Remington 700 a day or two so I can stretch it out a little.

Either way, i'm 100% 'IN' and will be signing up this weekend.

jrh84

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 9, 2009
    Columbus
    Is there any advantage in scoring, or a separate class for iron sights rifles? I've got an old pig of an M1A I would like to take out...but if there's no advantage, I might just stick with an AR. I'm definitely more interested in 'sling' mid-range because I want to start competing in high power, but might also consider taking out my Remington 700 a day or two so I can stretch it out a little.

Either way, i'm 100% 'IN' and will be signing up this weekend.

As a service rifle, you're in your own class, so there's no advantage of shooting irons. If you want to shoot an "any" rifle, some matches require irons for at least one of the strings. The other 2 strings, you can shoot whatever sights you want (scope or irons).

A Palma rifle has to be irons and chambered in .308 or .223.

So technically, a .308 M1A shooting irons could shoot as any of the 3 classes....service rifle, any rifle, or Palma. Put a scope on it, and its service rifle or "any" rifle. Chamber it in 6.5 Creedmoor and keep a scope on, and it's only an "any" rifle.

Clear as mud? It's easier to sort through all the classes and rules once you see it in action.

Gingerbeardman

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Mar 17, 2017
    Anderson
    Thank you, that's very helpful. I've been using a cheap plastic Caldwell front rest and a small bunny ear Caldwell bag, do I need to get a front bipod and a squeeze bag? I certainly can, it looks like f-practical requires it but I could shoot another class if my current gear is acceptable-that would save me some money for more match ammo!

EDIT: looks like f-open would work. On the registration page, 3/5/6 is self explanatory, and it looks like I could ALSO sign up to shoot three strings at 600? What's an acceptable round count to bring? Thanks for the help!

Last edited:

jrh84

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 9, 2009
    Columbus
    Thank you, that's very helpful. I've been using a cheap plastic Caldwell front rest and a small bunny ear Caldwell bag, do I need to get a front bipod and a squeeze bag? I certainly can, it looks like f-practical requires it but I could shoot another class if my current gear is acceptable-that would save me some money for more match ammo!

EDIT: looks like f-open would work. On the registration page, 3/5/6 is self explanatory, and it looks like I could ALSO sign up to shoot three strings at 600? What's an acceptable round count to bring? Thanks for the help!

Yep, if it's a front rest, you'll be in F-open.

If you sign up for the full day, itll be 1 string at 300, 1 at 500 yards, then 3 strings at 600....100 rounds for record. I'd bring at least 120 rounds, maybe 140 if it's your first time at these distances. I dont *think* you'll need them all, but better to have it and not need it. I've got my zeros sorted out, and I'll still bring 120, will probably shoot around 110 or so.

natdscott

User Unknown
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 20, 2015
    A Palma rifle has to be irons and chambered in .308 or .223.

Unless you're Service Palma. In which case the NRA said had to be irons. And then they says it's cool to be 4.5x. But International PALMA wouldn't. But nobody shoots SR at Long Range anyway.

So. More mud. lmao!

-Nate

Top Bottom