• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Danville
    What 7.62 x 39 ammo does the hive prefer to feed your AK-47s? I've read good things about Red Army Standard and Wolf Performance Ammo, but I've not experienced any steel ammo outside of some Silver Bear and Brown Bear in .223.

What do you like for your AKs and why? Also, please tell me if you know of any good deals.

Thanks!

Last edited:

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    I've shot every brand of cheap '39 ammo I could find.
    AKs eat anything.
    I'll edit here::::
    I did have some trouble out of the poly coated stuff after about 1200 rounds. It got gummy and empty cases didn't want to come out.

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    SGAmmo has consistently had the best deals, along with the stock to back it. Red Army Standard is decent enough as is the Wolf. Not a lot of “performance” ammo out there for the AK as the general AK public won’t pay for anything other than Wolf. My Fuller AK didn’t really care what you fed it but could do some pretty amazing things with Black Hills 150 gr SP. I don’t think they make that anymore though.

Ricnzak

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Nov 15, 2008
    Noblesville
    ^^^^ SGAmmo is your friend for cheap steel. Mine eat whatever is on sale and I have not had a problem with any of it including Wolf and Tula.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    Yeah, sorry about that.
    I'm a natural smart aleck.

I've never heard of an AK that was picky about ammo.
    Quite the contrary, most every AK I've ever seen are known for chewing up and spitting out most ANYTHING you feed them.
    It's one of the reasons people like them so much.

Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Danville
    Yeah, sorry about that.
    I'm a natural smart aleck.

I've never heard of an AK that was picky about ammo.
    Quite the contrary, most every AK I've ever seen are known for chewing up and spitting out most ANYTHING you feed them.
    It's one of the reasons people like them so much.

Lol, no problem and I can take some ribbing.

I was just curious as to what folks like and what their guns like out there.

snorko

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    361   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Evansville, IN
    +1 for the Golden Tiger. Funny it used to be more expensive than tula or wolf. For other than blasting Tula is loading the 8m3 bullet now. It is supposed to have superior expansion. I think it's cool that with the gfeater popularity of AKs more unusual rounds are now available . I recently picked up some ppu 182 gr subsonic. Haven't shot it yet but should be interesting. Especially out of a bolt gun.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    I like like Golden Tiger 124gr HP. My Russia AK loves them. They seem to be a little hotter, and I get good groups with them.
    My AK47 was from a 1957 Russian Milled reciever parts kit I got 25 years ago.
    https://www.sgammo.com/product/gold...pbt-124-grain-hollow-point-golden-tiger-ammo-

Oh cool, they do still have it in stock. They just haven't been advertising it in their emails lately. They've just been listing the FMJBT and the HPBT with the "expansion" bullets (I think they're similar to the 8M3 from Tula that snorko mentioned).

IUKalash429

Bullet Hose
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Apr 6, 2019
    Rum Ham
    Anything from Vympel (GT, RAS) or Barnaul (Wolf, Monarch, various Bears, etc.) cartridge plants. I shoot about 85% Wolf Military Classic, 10% Monarch, and the rest a mix of everything else I just listed. I have a lot of GT, RAS, and 8M3 squirreled away. I tend to ignore Tula ammo because it always runs dirtier, and seems less consistent powder and quality-wise. YMMV, but unless Tula is the only thing available I don't buy it.

Hornady SST if you're looking for a dependable (albeit pricey) home defense round.

If you're looking to store any ammo, look for lacquered cases with sealed necks and primers.

snorko

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    361   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Evansville, IN
    If you're looking to store any ammo, look for lacquered cases with sealed necks and primers.

Indeed. I had a flood in my basement and had about 5,000 rounds submerged for 7 hours or so. Most was in the original cardboard shipping boxes. I dragged it out and dumped it on a table till the insurance folks came 3 days later. Rust set in moderately to heavy on the poly coated but minimal to none on the laquer. But, so far none has failed to fire.

I posted a thread with greater detail when it happened 5 or 6 years ago.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    Indeed. I had a flood in my basement and had about 5,000 rounds submerged for 7 hours or so. Most was in the original cardboard shipping boxes. I dragged it out and dumped it on a table till the insurance folks came 3 days later. Rust set in moderately to heavy on the poly coated but minimal to none on the laquer. But, so far none has failed to fire.

I posted a thread with greater detail when it happened 5 or 6 years ago.

I dont know how deep your flood was. I use those plastic tubs from Rural king, Dollar stores, etc, and put them in those. Then take a bead of silicone around the lid and put it on. Throw in a moisture eater and you are all set.

I've stored ammo in a block shed that is full of moisture year round water runs in on the floor if it rains hard enough. Last summer I finally got through my Y2K stockpiles lol.

Last edited:

Karl-just-Karl

Retired
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 5, 2014
    NE
    So, does anyone know which of these recommended ammos are using 0.312 diameter bullets?

I have some old Chinese Norinco ammo ammo that measures 0.312 dia. but my supply is very limited. It vastly outperforms any of the 0.308 dia. stuff that I have in Tula and Wolf.

snorko

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    361   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Evansville, IN
    I dont know how deep your flood was. I use those plastic tubs from Rural king, Dollar stores, etc, and put them in those. Then take a bead of silicone around the lid and put it on. Throw in a moisture eater and you are all set.

I've stored ammo in a block shed that is full of moisture year round water runs in on the floor if it rains hard enough. Last summer I finally got through my Y2K stockpiles lol.

Close to two feet at the shelving. Couple surplus .30 cal ammo cans were bone dry inside as well.

Top Bottom