• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • cmamath13

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Mar 3, 2013
    Greenwood
    I have a Colt 6920 that I purchased back in 2013. So far, I have 2845 rounds through it and it's been 100% reliable.

Today I was cleaning it and I noticed the staking looks to be misaligned (see picture). IMHO, it looks like staking machine didn't hit the correct location to stake the two bolts.

90348398_201530324458449_7471134579630276608_n.jpg

So, I have I few questions that I was hoping to get feedback on.
    1. Is this something I should be concerned about?
    2. Do you think Colt would replace/repair it? I believe that are out of the civilian AR market now.
    3. If I were to replace bolt, what might you recommend? I don't want a multiple hundred dollar bolt. But I do want one that will work well in my rifle and be reliable.

Thanks in advance.

patience0830

.22 magician
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 96.6%
    28   1   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Not far from the tree
    Damn! They did miss pretty badly, didn't they. I'd either take it to a smith and bring a replacement gas key for him to stake or replace it myself and just stake them with a cold chisel.

If it has been working, you could just restake them yourself and keep using it. Really no reason not to.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    Um, that's not right.
    You are correct, that stake job did not do what it was intended to do.
    I would check the bolts to make sure they haven't loosened up, and then maybe have someone else try to stake them again, properly this time...

You could do it yourself.
    Staking a bolt head is not rocket science.
    All you need is a good center punch, a heavy hammer, and a way to hold your bolt securely.

If nothing else, I would try to mark those bolt heads with a line running across the entire head and onto both sides.
    Watching that line will tell you if your bolts are moving.

Hohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    USA
    staking is a bandaid add on, not a requirement. A messed up staking job or even no staking at all is very unlikely to cause you any issues whatsoever.

drillsgt

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    108   0   0
    Nov 29, 2009
    Sioux Falls, SD
    Wow, the piece and/or machine was definitely out of alignment that day. Like Hohn said I wouldn't get too worried about it, definitely don't need to replace the bolt for that.

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    As others have said, you can find someone to stake it properly or do it yourself. It wouldn't hurt to ask Colt to replace it but since you bought it 7 years ago they may say no or just ignore you.

But that raises a bigger question. How is it that you've had the rifle that long and just now noticed this? You need to spend more time getting to know your guns friend.

EricG

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Nov 19, 2013
    NWI
    1. Yes
    2. Probably not
    3. Grab a carrier from SOLGW, FCD, Sionics

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

cmamath13

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Mar 3, 2013
    Greenwood
    As others have said, you can find someone to stake it properly or do it yourself. It wouldn't hurt to ask Colt to replace it but since you bought it 7 years ago they may say no or just ignore you.

But that raises a bigger question. How is it that you've had the rifle that long and just now noticed this? You need to spend more time getting to know your guns friend.
    I agree, I should have noticed sooner. I had heard of staking, but recently watch a video that mentioned it. I wouldn't have guessed my Colt wouldn't be correct.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Hkindiana

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 19, 2010
    Southern Hills
    Keep an eye on it. I would advise against using a punch and hammer. Too much force could break your gas key screws.
    Buy this:https://bravocompanyusa.com/bcm-gas-key-with-fasteners/ and find a gunsmith that has a proper staking tool.

I have staked 20 or 30 keys and never broken one. So what if I did, replacement keys are cheap. Look for a photo of Vietnam era bolt staking, as it is much easier to do and worked fine for the whole war.

Tombs

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Martinsville
    Yes it's messed up.

BUT, if the screws are torqued correctly, they will not come out. Staking is an extra precaution so that any potential risk of an improperly tightened screw is mitigated.

If you've been shooting it for the past 7 years without issue, it will never become an issue. Smith Enterprises makes the finest BCGs you can buy, and they do not stake them.

Top Bottom