Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Staking Messed Up?

User Info Menu

Question Staking Messed Up?

I have a Colt 6920 that I purchased back in 2013. So far, I have 2845 rounds through it and it's been 100% reliable.

Today I was cleaning it and I noticed the staking looks to be misaligned (see picture). IMHO, it looks like staking machine didn't hit the correct location to stake the two bolts.

90348398_201530324458449_7471134579630276608_n.jpg

So, I have I few questions that I was hoping to get feedback on.
    1. Is this something I should be concerned about?
    2. Do you think Colt would replace/repair it? I believe that are out of the civilian AR market now.
    3. If I were to replace bolt, what might you recommend? I don't want a multiple hundred dollar bolt. But I do want one that will work well in my rifle and be reliable.

Thanks in advance.
    The Schofield Kid: Well, I guess they had it... comin'.
    Will Munny: We all got it comin', Kid.

User Info Menu

Damn! They did miss pretty badly, didn't they. I'd either take it to a smith and bring a replacement gas key for him to stake or replace it myself and just stake them with a cold chisel.

If it has been working, you could just restake them yourself and keep using it. Really no reason not to.
    Parkerizing lollipops since 1973.

Grandmaster

User Info Menu

Um, that's not right.
    You are correct, that stake job did not do what it was intended to do.
    I would check the bolts to make sure they haven't loosened up, and then maybe have someone else try to stake them again, properly this time...

You could do it yourself.
    Staking a bolt head is not rocket science.
    All you need is a good center punch, a heavy hammer, and a way to hold your bolt securely.

If nothing else, I would try to mark those bolt heads with a line running across the entire head and onto both sides.
    Watching that line will tell you if your bolts are moving.
    Dormant U.S.Marine/ NRA Benefactor-Life

User Info Menu

staking is a bandaid add on, not a requirement. A messed up staking job or even no staking at all is very unlikely to cause you any issues whatsoever.

User Info Menu

Wow, the piece and/or machine was definitely out of alignment that day. Like Hohn said I wouldn't get too worried about it, definitely don't need to replace the bolt for that.

User Info Menu

Wow! Thank you guys very much for the advice! You know your stuff!

User Info Menu

As others have said, you can find someone to stake it properly or do it yourself. It wouldn't hurt to ask Colt to replace it but since you bought it 7 years ago they may say no or just ignore you.

But that raises a bigger question. How is it that you've had the rifle that long and just now noticed this? You need to spend more time getting to know your guns friend.
    Well, I ain't always right but I've never been wrong,
    seldom turns out the way it does in a song.
    Once in a while you get shown the light
    in the strangest of places if you look at it right.

User Info Menu

1. Yes
    2. Probably not
    3. Grab a carrier from SOLGW, FCD, Sionics

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by MCgrease08 View Post
    As others have said, you can find someone to stake it properly or do it yourself. It wouldn't hurt to ask Colt to replace it but since you bought it 7 years ago they may say no or just ignore you.

But that raises a bigger question. How is it that you've had the rifle that long and just now noticed this? You need to spend more time getting to know your guns friend.
    I agree, I should have noticed sooner. I had heard of staking, but recently watch a video that mentioned it. I wouldn't have guessed my Colt wouldn't be correct.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

User Info Menu

Keep an eye on it. I would advise against using a punch and hammer. Too much force could break your gas key screws.
    Buy this:https://bravocompanyusa.com/bcm-gas-key-with-fasteners/ and find a gunsmith that has a proper staking tool.
    "Eis Aner Oudeis Aner"

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast