• ...and so much more!
  • ACC

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    134   0   1
    Mar 7, 2012
    N. Side of Indy
    I have had my eyes on a getting a Galil for a while now. With being stuck at home more than ever, my research on these guns is ramping up. The today, I came across the ATI Galeo, which is a 922r compliant US made Galil clone. These can be had for about 50% less than a true IWI Galil. But I do not have any experience with either of these guns. Wondering if INGO can provide me with its experience and thoughts on adding one of these to my collection?

smythe012

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 99.3%
    147   1   0
    Nov 9, 2011
    Northwest Indiana
    I have a Galil Ace in 308. If I had to have one battle rifle to end all battle rifles, this would be it. It feels great in the hand, manages recoil very well, has a good trigger, isn’t too heavy and is built like a tank.

I’ve considered selling a few things to pick up a second.

Midwest industries has a handguard that makes it even better looking and useful. If you’re planning on adding a light, vertical grip, etc, plan on spending a other $200.

ACC

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    134   0   1
    Mar 7, 2012
    N. Side of Indy
    Well, I'd say there's a reason they're priced 50% of a real one.

I totally get this. I understand I am talking about a USA reproduction vs a real Israeli Galil. However, this is not going to be a battle rifle and I am not collecting it to have a REAL one. I just like the design of the gun and would like to own one. Therefore, I am looking to see if anyone says "Yeah....the ATI Galeo is a good gun!" so I feel better about not spending hundreds more for an IWI.

rob63

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    May 9, 2013
    I too have been tempted by the Galeo. I used to own a Golani, which is a Century built Galil clone. It has a bad reputation, but mine was great and I really regret selling it.

That said, I have read a number of complaints on the Galeo that the receiver has an interference issue with using original magazines. Apparently they designed it to work well with the plastic Tapco magazines and there is a slight difference between them. Some people have said it is a simple fix involving doing a little grinding with a Dremel tool, or you can just stick to the Tapco magazines because they work great with it.

I'm guessing you have likely came across the same threads, and I don't have any personal experience with it to share, but thought I would mention it.

I can share about my experience with the Golani Galil clone. It is a very heavy rifle, but even so has a pretty violent recoil due to being over-gassed. It's not uncomfortable to shoot, but is noticeably different from an AR. I always found that mine was not as accurate off a bench as an AR, but that I could shoot it better off-hand than I could an AR. It also tended to draw a crowd at the range, partly because it was something different, and also because it threw the ejected cartridges so far that it was comical.

IUKalash429

Bullet Hose
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Apr 6, 2019
    Rum Ham
    OP check the usual YT channels and internet forums for more real-world reviews. I've not shot one of its newer Galil clones but do know that ATI did a pretty heinous job with the AKs it brought to market awhile ago. One guy I know with a Galeo had to do some light DIY work on his gun to get surplus Galil mags to work, but overall he's happy. And although you can still open bottles with this thing, if you get one I'd respectfully request you add a bipod post haste to enjoy that full bottle opening experience.

Also...

I have a Galil Ace in 308. If I had to have one battle rifle to end all battle rifles, this would be it. It feels great in the hand, manages recoil very well, has a good trigger, isn’t too heavy and is built like a tank.

I’ve considered selling a few things to pick up a second.

Midwest industries has a handguard that makes it even better looking and useful. If you’re planning on adding a light, vertical grip, etc, plan on spending a other $200.

QFT (although mine is chambered in 7.62x39). I LOVE this gun.

jWQoJxFl.jpg

jspy5

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Sep 8, 2012
    Southern Marion County
    I've been pining for one of the ATI Galils since they first came out. Even had a chance to handle one at last years NRA show in Indy. What rob63 mentioned upstream was the only complaints I was hearing about but a lot of users were quite happy with them. I believe JRA was/is offering one as well but I'm not sure if its as well received as the ATI. I've given up my search for one for a bit now, but I'm curious if these are available now since the first run on them went fairly quick.
    BTW I also would recommend the Ace, mine is 62x39 and I've been debating dressing it up with a different hand guard, etc.

ACC

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    134   0   1
    Mar 7, 2012
    N. Side of Indy
    UPDATE: I purchased an ATI Galeo. I decided to go this route because the gun is brand new and was about $600 cheaper that the lowest priced Galil I could find. I am pretty impressed with the fit & finish of the gun even though the grip was obviously surplus as it was a bit dinged up. All other parts look high quality. I also picked up a bipod from Atlantic as well as 5 surplus magazines.

The best news is that I got it out to the range over the weekend and the surplus mags work perfectly. Not one of them failed to have the bolt pick up the next round. Maybe ATI figured out that issue?

Regardless, I am very pleased I went this route. Now if I could just find a carry handle assembly....

Top Bottom