Decided that I need a 18 inch shotgun in my live again, any thoughts?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • chef1231

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Apr 23, 2014
    NWI
    So I had a M2 before and sold it to a INGO member and like other guns in the past, kick myself for it now. I am thinking this time around I would like to get a pump though. I currently have a old stand by 870 Express with a 28inch barrel and was just going to buy the 18 barrel but seems like they are half the price of a shotgun and then tube ext, etc... Was thinking Benelli Nova but am really leaning to the 870 Marine. Want it mostly for buckshot but would also like to run slugs though it.

Not to sound totally dumb but can I run buckshot and slugs though the same barrel and choke? I do not hunt anything other then some clay pigeons and just don't want to screw up a new gun. I am under the impression that you can but I know there are also rifled barrels for slugs?

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    Just buy a tube extension got the 870 and buy whatever choke you like for what you are going to shoot. Turkey choke for tight groups, and cylinder bore for spread and or slugs.

CampingJosh

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 16, 2010
    I picked up a spare 18" 870 with extended tube on sale for $300 + tax just over a year ago. It was set up that way from the factory; the only thing I had to change was to a more reliable extractor.

I really appreciate having it set up and ready to go all the time, even if I just got back from shooting clays with another shotgun.

I'm hardly the accumulator of firearms that many here are, but a dedicated defensive shotgun makes sense to me.

CampingJosh

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 16, 2010
    isn't the min barrel 18.5 to avoid SBS? Or is it understood that 18=18.5?

NFA applies to shotguns with a barrel (or barrels) "less than 18 in length." If I were modifying a shotgun myself, I would leave some wiggle room and cut to 18.5", but since my barrel is factory made, I trust the factory to have made a legal barrel.

For fun though, I just checked, and my factory 18" barrel is about 18 3/8" long, measured by dropping a dowel down the barrel to rest against the closed bolt. So even the factory leaves some extra.

chef1231

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Apr 23, 2014
    NWI
    I think technically they are all 18.5, I just said 18. My bad. I did look at those CDNN barrels and would really prefer the Remmy brand. Not in a hurry obvious everything is sold out or too much dough right now. If I could find a Remmy Barrel I would just go that route to save some cash for now, I guess. So no problems shooting buck and slug though the same barrel with the same choke then, right?

CampingJosh

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 16, 2010
    What you want is a Tac 14, if you want to stay with Remington.
    I prefer the Mossberg Shockwave myself...

I have both an 18" shotgun and a 7" AOW. If I were really wanting to hit something, I would choose the weapon that can be shouldered 10 times out of 10.

63PGP

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 28, 2018
    Boone
    My current favorite in this realm is my Browning A5 (new model). Barrel is cut down from 26" to about 19" and threaded for chokes. Added a Briley extension for 8+1 capacity. Extension and barrel with choke match up exactly to the same length. Runs great.

rosejm

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 28, 2013
    NWI
    Michael Biehn and I both suggest an older Ithaca 37

[video=youtube;fEs8j4_hrUY]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fEs8j4_hrUY[/video]

DMTJAGER

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 15, 2020
    WHITING
    Mossberg 590A1 is what you seek.
    What he said. If I didn't already own four 870's, a Benelli SN and a Mossberg 835 I'd have a 590A1 in my stable. Once this virus BS goes away likely still get a 590A1 for HD.
    Hard to beat a 870 or 590A1 set up for HD.
    When it comes to making a uninvited guest on your property STP, nothing will beat a 12 gauge for setting both their bowels and feet moving in overdrive simultaneously.

Last edited:

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    How about a 20" double barrel coach gun. Light reliable and easy to operate.

Why no double barrel 12ga "pistol shotguns"? Not black powder but ones that can take 12 gauge shotgun shells. Or even 20 gauge. I'd want at least 12" barrels on mine.

Last edited:

crazygunner1

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 5, 2020
    Kokomo
    Think about getting a Remington TAC 13/14. The only problem is they come in shorter barrel I wouldn't know if that is an alternative for you?. Thank me later.

Top Bottom