• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bjenkins

Master
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Jul 4, 2014
    jeffersonville
    Just wondering if any have hands on experience with the Tactical and what your thoughts are? Looking for a nice 308 for target mainly in about the price point of the 110 Tactical. Thanks

madeuce50

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 26, 2009
    Lafayette,In.
    Very accurate but brutal recoil. 26 in”heavy barrel and light stock. I took off the butt pad and put about a pound and half of truck tire weights in the cavity and used rtv silicone to seal them in place. Did a channel and bed on the last 6” or so on the for end. Won’t ever let this one go as it is willed to grandson.

Hohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    USA
    If you are looking for a price point .308, I'd recommend you consider the 12FV Savage that Cabela's carries and has on sale often for <$400. I have two of them, a .223 and a 6.5 and I"d absolutely consider the .308 as a cheap yet reasonably accurate rifle. It's a heavy 26" varmint barrel, so recoil should be not so bad. My 6.5 obvious has less recoil but it's all-day shootable.

mammynun

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 30, 2009
    New Albany
    I have a Savage 10PC. 20" threaded 5R barrel, Accustock and Accutrigger. It shoots very well and the only "gotche" is the price of spare mags.

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    Just wondering if any have hands on experience with the Tactical and what your thoughts are? Looking for a nice 308 for target mainly in about the price point of the 110 Tactical. Thanks

Any particular reason you're wanting .308 Win? Do you already have a supply? Other guns in that chambering?

Not that you're me... But if I were going to start out with something, I'd probably start out with a 6.5CM. New hotness and all.

bjenkins

Master
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Jul 4, 2014
    jeffersonville
    Any particular reason you're wanting .308 Win? Do you already have a supply? Other guns in that chambering?

Not that you're me... But if I were going to start out with something, I'd probably start out with a 6.5CM. New hotness and all.
    Yes I already have a Savage Stealth in the 6.5 just wanted to pick up 308.psyko

Rio

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 18, 2017
    SE Indiana
    I have an older p10 tactical in 308. As mentioned it has a fair bit of recoil. Mine doesn’t have the accutrigger but is a crisp breaking trigger. I like mine but don’t get it out a lot.

DMTJAGER

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 15, 2020
    WHITING
    I have a now discontinued Savage 10FCP in .308 with a 24" heavy fluted barrel Accustock and Accuutrigger and 5R rifling. I was not in the market for another rifle for myself least of all one that really didn't lend itself well to hunting as the 10 FCP is rather heavy. But the my LGS was closing them out because nobody wanted .308s in favor of the 6.5 CM and the price was only literally a few $$$ more than a Axis. So I figured I could use it to enter into longer range shooting, something i had wanted to do for a long time. I was originally going to buy a production precision modular rifle for long range fun shooting and will likely will at some point, but I fugured at less than 1/4 the cost for now this rifle will do.

Well it sat in my gun safe cleaned but unused for two years. My boys wanted to do some rifle shooting and suggested I set of the Savage. Prior to our outing I went to my club and using only Blue Box Federal power-Shock ammo Cabeleas had on sale for $15 a box (cheapest 308 ammo they had) I sighted in the scope. Moving to 100 yards I shot 3 shots and looked through my 20-60x77mm B&L Elite spotter and saw a very tiny group. As I had the range to myself I walked down to check the group and measure for POA adjustment.

I was very presently surprised to see a 3-shot group larger than dime but smaller than a nickle . This group was no fluke and I would imagine the rifle will really impress once I buy some dies and start to reload for it. Strangely enough it shoots both 150 grain and 180 grain Federal Power-Shock ammo to virtually the same POI at 100 and 200 yards. My boys were picking off 3" clay birds with absolute boring regularity seated with a sling at 200 yards and had to try to miss the 5" and 10" steel plates standing off hand with a sling. And this was with factory ammo anmo a B&L 4200 3-9x40mm scope.

If you are looking to get into long range shooting as economical as possible I suggest you consider a Savage 10 or 12 series of rifles. I'm very happy with mine. As far as recoil goes I am likely THE last person anyone should ask about recoil as it simply doesn't bother me and as far the 10 FCP recoil I never noticed it at all. But my first big game rifle was a 12 gauge 870 Wingmaster shooting 2-3/4 and 3' magnum 1oz and 1.25oz foster slugs for the first 23 years of my deer hunting. All my rifles are magnums and all my turkey guns are 3" or 3.5" 12 gauge magnums so like I said recoil is a non factor for me.

Last edited:

crazygunner1

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 5, 2020
    Kokomo
    If you are looking for a price point .308, I'd recommend you consider the 12FV Savage that Cabela's carries and has on sale often for <$400. I have two of them, a .223 and a 6.5 and I"d absolutely consider the .308 as a cheap yet reasonably accurate rifle. It's a heavy 26" varmint barrel, so recoil should be not so bad. My 6.5 obvious has less recoil but it's all-day shootable.

Listen to this one, he knows what he is saying! I am crazy gunner lol I love varmint barrel's. I so agree with your taste.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    Very accurate but brutal recoil. 26 in”heavy barrel and light stock. I took off the butt pad and put about a pound and half of truck tire weights in the cavity and used rtv silicone to seal them in place. Did a channel and bed on the last 6” or so on the for end. Won’t ever let this one go as it is willed to grandson.

Why not get a good muzzle brake? My Ruger PR in 308 has the factory installed brake it works great.

Top Bottom