• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • chef1231

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Apr 23, 2014
    NWI
    So I decided that I want another shotgun. I have narrowed it down to the 870, unless someone could shed light on another brand. Has to be pump.

I really like the way the 870 all wood home defense one looks. Holds 6+1

There is also a Marine version that comes in silver for lack of the technical term. It is almost twice the cost so I am wondering if there are any advantages to it other than the coating? Same mechanical features? I can not seem to find much info even on the company website.

the 3rd option is the tac 14 with arm brace.

On a side note people have lost their minds with Guns & ammo... I hope prices come back down soon and all the non gun people that ran out and bought stuff sell what they bought cheap lol.

chef1231

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Apr 23, 2014
    NWI
    Well.... now the M4 seems to be calling my name.. LOL. I might just go that route and buy a smaller barrel for the 870 I already have

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    Do you have a budget in mind?

Some of the newer semi-auto guns coming out are full of promise - like the new Rem V3 Tactical. https://www.remington.com/shotguns/tactical/v3-tactical

I do not know how Remington QA / QC is these days. But in the recent past, it's been highly derided. Plus their corrosion resistance is...poor. Breathe on an 870 barrel and it'll be rusted by morning.

The new Mossberg JM940 is supposed to be a lot better than the 935, too. But I think for now, it's set up as a 3-gun shotgun and not much in the way of "tactical" or Home defense.

ETA: I swear when I wrote this post that it wasn't just an 870 thread. LOL. My bad.

Last edited:

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    I have a POS 870 Express Supermag.
    It has the J lock trigger guard.
    No rust issues. No rust issues w any SP or Express I've had.
    But I use the dreaded Remoil.

The matte finish means water will not sheet, and neither will most oils. So that leaves stuff unprotected, with the bad stuff staying in spots.

Seriously, my Express is at least 10 yrs old and it's fine, finish wise. Looks new.
    The rib is aligned at front and rear but has a bit of curve to the left halfway.
    Very slight, have seen way worse.

Perfectly usable, paid 215 for it used. Kills turkeys and doves like a champ.
    Its been drenched turkey hunting several times.

No rust.

Of course, I don't half arse clean it after a hunt and toss it in a case, like most people do.

Do that? and yeah, a matte finish gun is gonna go orange.

So IMHO the finish isn't bad, it just doesn't let one half arse things.
    You could always degrease and Gunkote it.

Paints like that, while popular, are not as durable as touted. But then run one til it looks like hell and repaint.

Last edited:

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    I hunt, and find a thick wristed shotgun to be clunky.
    Maybe no big deal for a loaded up tactical blaster.

My turkey gun is also my HD gun. I could do the ext mag (has been modified for it).
    But those really change the swing/feel.

Of course I also have an 1100 magnum set up for HD

Yrs of use, shooting things on the quick............field style Remingtons......they just feel so good to me.
    Effortless in deployment.

THAT might be something of advantage beyond the woods and fields.

Are they the best? Probably not.
    They just work very well for me.

Have had some other pumps, autos and over unders. More expensive too.
    But dang if a cheap ol Remington doesn't just fit me.

I quit fighting it and went back to em. Years ago.

chef1231

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Apr 23, 2014
    NWI
    Don’t really have a budget. I fly by the seat of my pants and am super impulsive. That’s the car salesman side of me. Lol. I had a M2 back in the day and sold it to another member. I remember buying that in the first Obama scare and I had an m4 in my hands at gander that was a floor model and they wanted full price, I choked and literally 10seconds later a guy grabbed it and bought it. Lol. I settled for the M2 and liked it but it was never the m4. The m4 H2O would be the model and street price looks right at $2k so I would say that’s my budget for that gun but I wouldn’t come anywhere near that for some other brands

that v3 tactical looks Pretty interesting it less than $1000 trying to find some reviews online .

Last edited:
    Top Bottom