• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • yetti462

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 18, 2016
    Unglaciated heaven
    Looking for any reviews on this rifle. I have a hankering for either a Henry or jm Marlin. Leaning towards a Henry and would like to hear a little more from the ingo brotherhood.

Ziggidy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 7, 2018
    Ziggidyville
    It's a beautiful rifle that cycles llike butter; backed by a great company. My only concern is it gets heavier the older I get. I'd love to put a skinner sight on it

fastwally

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 4, 2010
    Peru
    I have the same rifle in 44mag, action is like butter and the wood is beautiful. I do have a Skinner peep sight on mine.

700 LTR 223

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 5, 2008
    I have the Big Boy Silver in 357 mag and like the others mentioned the action cycles so smoothly. The accuracy is quite good with all bullet weights (125, 158 and 180) I have tried.

I did have a couple of issues at first - the barrel copper fouled and the loading tube required extreme effort to turn in its slot. Henry sent out a label and took care of the issues and even exchanged the standard lever for a large loop per my request. I am really pleased with my Henry.

I have a used Marlin 1894 in 357 too , around a 2008 production. Action not as smooth as the Henry and not as accurate with all bullet weights like the Henry - best results with 158s.

About the only upgrade I might perform on either might be some trigger work.
    View attachment 85488

augdog

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 7, 2013
    Sheridan
    I had A Henry 357 with the large loop.I had real problems with 38 ammo just wasn’t able to get any brand to cycle.Henry sent me A return label.In less than two weeks they sent me A brand new one.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Can't speak for the 357, but the 45 Colt digests everything I feed it including heavy loads behind a 325 grain cast lead bullet. I've shot these through a deer lengthwise, probably drop anything on the continent hunted at woods ranges.

mmpsteve

Real CZ's have a long barrel!!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 14, 2016
    ..... formerly near the Wild Turkey
    I have the .327 Steel Carbine model. It's a quality piece. No complaint other than the lack of half-cock safety. I like that feature with a hammer. Some don't like the tube-feed. I have no issue with it, and Henry is making side-feed versions now, but not in every caliber.

ashby koss

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jan 24, 2013
    Connersville
    I love that big boy 357. I have the tube feed lever action. They now make a side gate load, which you may prefer due to loading speed / safety. (Yes I call it safety since your in front of the barrel)

there is also an all weather model which I probabaly would have preferred over the brass and walnut, but only in rain durability. The brass and walnut is gorgeous and was my option at the time.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    I've only had it for a little while. But I liked it. Went through .38 and .357 with it.
    If you're in NWI, come on by and I'll let you shoot it.

Ark

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 18, 2017
    Indy
    I have the Big Boy Steel in 45LC. Excellent gun, highly recommend anything built by Henry.

They are beginning to introduce loading gates (finally), but not for pistol calibers right now and it may be a while before the feature trickles down to the more affordable models.

Hopper

Master
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Nov 6, 2013
    Hamilton County
    I've had both the Big Boy and Big Boy Steel in 357. Both very accurate and completely reliable. As someone else upstream mentioned, the Big Boy with the octagon barrel is absolutely beautiful, but kept getting heavier. I ended up letting go of that, but the Big Boy Steel is in my stash to stay. Same pretty Henry wood but no brass receiver bling. It has a round barrel, is lighter, is a pleasure to shoot, and it cycles 357 and 38 equally well.

Ziggidy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 7, 2018
    Ziggidyville
    I've had both the Big Boy and Big Boy Steel in 357. Both very accurate and completely reliable. As someone else upstream mentioned, the Big Boy with the octagon barrel is absolutely beautiful, but kept getting heavier. I ended up letting go of that, but the Big Boy Steel is in my stash to stay. Same pretty Henry wood but no brass receiver bling. It has a round barrel, is lighter, is a pleasure to shoot, and it cycles 357 and 38 equally well.

I'll have to check that out. IF I ever indulged again, it would be an addition, not a replacement. That brass big boy is a beauty that would be hard to give up.

700 LTR 223

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 5, 2008
    Found a good deal on a steel model with 16" barrel and a large loop. Will probably order this week.

Great choice -that was the one I was going to buy originally , but was hard to find locally. I bought the Big Boy Silver online as I had never seen one and already had a Marlin 1894 which has similar handling/weight of the Henry steel 16".

1nderbeard

Master
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Apr 3, 2017
    Hendricks County
    I have a JM stamped 357. Action is amazing, accuracy is great. Nothing bad to say about it.

My brother has a Henry and likes it.
    The only thing I don't like about Henry's is the tube loading; I prefer the loading gate.

Hopper

Master
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Nov 6, 2013
    Hamilton County
    I'll have to check that out. IF I ever indulged again, it would be an addition, not a replacement. That brass big boy is a beauty that would be hard to give up.
    Believe me, it was really hard to let go of the Big Boy. It's SUCH a pretty combination of that Henry wood and the brass receiver with the blued octagon barrel. But the Steel option suited me better for everything I wanted to do with it.

To be fair, my Henry Golden Boy 22LR has *the* smoothest action of any lever action I've ever cycled, including the Henry Big Boy models and a Henry Long Ranger I have in 223/556. And of course now I'm keeping watch over the new generation of Henry side loading gate models, which I love... quick to unload with the tube mag, and easy to top off with the side loading gate. It's the best of both approaches. But there's something a little more Cowboy about a side loading gate. I absolutely love that Henry has finally added this feature.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    I like having two different S&W revolvers in .357, then a Taurus Thunderbolt pump carbine in .357, and now a Henry in .357.
    Two carbines, and two revolvers in .357.
    :yesway:

Top Bottom