• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BoilerWes

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 2, 2010
    Pendleton
    Hello all! Ive owned and shot guns my whole life. I have owned several AR's, but have never had a real interest in building one until now. I want to build a precision type carbine for hunting purposes (mainly coyotes, but perhaps hogs in the future). So far I have mainly been looking at JP Enterprises and Precision Firearms. I am interested in a side charging type upper. Based on my intended purposes I don't plan on shooting past 400 yards and most shots under 200.

With those things in mind, anyone have any recommendations or advice in regards to going 6.5 grendel vs 223 Wylde? Is there a significant difference in felt recoil? At these distances will the Grendel consistently out perform the 223 from a precision standpoint? I don't plan on reloading and outside of killing critters don't expect it to be a high volume range gun.

Thank in advance. Look forward to hearing from you!

roscott

Master
    Rating - 97.5%
    39   1   0
    Mar 1, 2009
    Precision gas guns and hunting? My favorite topics!

Right off the bat, if you really intend to use it as a hog gun, you’ll love the energy advantage in Grendel. That round has around 1800 ft/lbs of energy, compared to about 1100 ft/lbs in 5.56/223. I have been extremely disappointed with 5.56 on hogs, and even on coyotes I’ll gladly take the extra bullet weight and energy.

5.56 will have less drop due to higher velocities, but the lower BC’s will allow more wind drift than Grendel. IMHO, I’ll gladly take more drop as I can always add a couple clicks, but wind calls are really tough.

Also keep in mind that weight=stability=accuracy. So the heavier you build it, the easier it will be to shoot accurately, but the less you’ll enjoy toting it around. I became a lightweight fanatic for a while, but I’ve changed my outlook a little bit.

roscott

Master
    Rating - 97.5%
    39   1   0
    Mar 1, 2009
    I have also found recoil to insignificantly different between the two.

Let us know what you decide to do, preferably with pictures of dead coyotes and pigs!

roscott

Master
    Rating - 97.5%
    39   1   0
    Mar 1, 2009
    All firearms deserve a good suppressor, but it changes the balance and maneuverability quite a bit. I run a 12.5” Grendel for most things, but you lose a good bit of velocity to get there.

A 16” suppressed Grendel is tough to beat as a do-it-all rifle. I have an 18” 5.56 that gets some love too, but if I had it to do over I think that one would be a 16” as well.

smythe012

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 99.3%
    147   1   0
    Nov 9, 2011
    Northwest Indiana
    No Suppressor?: 18" 6.5 Grendel

Suppressor?: 12.5" 6.5 Grendel

6.5 Grendel is one of the best cartridges for what you're talking about, if not the best cartridge.

OP if you're interested I have an 18" barrel I'm looking to sell. The only reason I'm selling is to get Larue's Ultimate Upper kit in...6.5 Grendel. :)

drm-hp

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 23, 2019
    Brownsburg
    I have no intention too, or experience with suppressors.
    For killing animals the Grendel is better than the 5.56. Both can get the job done, but easier with a 6.5. As mentioned earlier, wind calls are more forgiving, and a better selection of hunting bullets.
    My suggestion for you would be this; get a similar upper of both, with a single lower with an excellent trigger. Shoot cheap 5.56 ammo at 200 yards until you trash that barrel. When you want to hunt, exchange uppers on that lower that you know the trigger intimately. It is amazing what you can do with a good trigger that you know.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    I think you will love the 6.5 Grendel. It out shoots my 556 accuracy wise as well as energy wise. My 6.5 loves hornady black 123gr ELD match ammo, and Hornady 123gr SST that I hand load. I think you will be happier with a 6.5 Grendel.

55fairlane

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 15, 2016
    New Haven
    If you are not planning on reloading , go 223 cheaper to shoot, but the only way you are going to get pinpoint accuracy out of either rig is to hand load for it.

My first match rifle was in 223, I went to 6.5G and went back to 223

roscott

Master
    Rating - 97.5%
    39   1   0
    Mar 1, 2009
    If you are not planning on reloading , go 223 cheaper to shoot, but the only way you are going to get pinpoint accuracy out of either rig is to hand load for it.

My first match rifle was in 223, I went to 6.5G and went back to 223

I’ll respectfully disagree on two points-

Wolf makes steel ammo in 6.5 Grendel, and it’s available as cheap as the cheap 223 stuff.

Handloading isn’t always required to reach accuracy. My Grendel is sub moa with SST, and I have a creedmoor that is consistently sub half-moa with factory bergers. I agree that handloading certainly helps, but it’s not a requirement.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    I’ll respectfully disagree on two points-

Wolf makes steel ammo in 6.5 Grendel, and it’s available as cheap as the cheap 223 stuff.

Handloading isn’t always required to reach accuracy. My Grendel is sub moa with SST, and I have a creedmoor that is consistently sub half-moa with factory bergers. I agree that handloading certainly helps, but it’s not a requirement.

I agree I'm getting 0.68" 5 shot groups at 100 yds with Hornady Black 123gr ELD Match. The Wolf is 2.27" avg 5 shot groups at 100 yds. My reloads 123gr SST are 0.438 5 shot groups at 100 yds. I have some Speer 90gr TNT I need to load up and try out yet.

The problem with the Wolf at least the lot I bought is the bullets are only .260 not .264. I would say that is the reason the accuracy is so bad.

Hohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    USA
    A precision hunting carbine? Grendel all day long. 18" is a good all around length. Lots of great options in the 120ish gr range, although watching the 90TNT results that Carpe Sus (youtube him) is getting on hogs might make a believer out of you on the 90TNTs.

Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo
    My 6.5 grendel is an 18 inch barrel. I've been using the 90 grain TNT with success. Very few coyotes have gotten away after being hit with one.

Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo
    One thing to check is the extractor. I was having issues with Federal brass until I found this picture. A little bit of work and the problem is solved.

Hohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    USA
    Ideally, there would be a grendel-specific extractor for the larger case rim. Is anyone making one?

roscott

Master
    Rating - 97.5%
    39   1   0
    Mar 1, 2009
    That’s interesting Rookie. Were you running into that with both heavy and light grain ammo?

I have brownells and Ballistic Advantage bolts, and extraction has been good thus far.

Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo
    No. I had zero issues with Hornady brass, but federal brass would do it enough that it was beyond annoying. I missed quite a few chances at doubles and triples because the extractor would hang on the brass.

Take a look at your used brass. If you have two lines on the rim, that's the extractor digging in.

jwright2882

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 13, 2019
    Greenwood
    You've all convinced me that I want 6.5 Grendel for my next AR-15 caliber. Seems to have a lot of fans; hoping this caliber becomes more popular so that price/round starts to come down.

FN USA

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 90.9%
    10   1   0
    Jul 25, 2011
    Sellersburg
    Honestly both rounds do well for hog hunting, for distance the 6.5 is more effective however 400 yards on a hog is a really far shot. Most of the time your hunting 150 yards and in where a .223 Wylde would be most cost efficient with quality ammo. If your shooting 250+ yards, I'd recommend 6.5 for its superior stopping power/velocity at distance. I personally would go .223 and buy more ammo.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom