Join INGunOwners For Free
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    Keeper of the Hammer

User Info Menu

Nice build! My only. 308 AR has a 20" barrel. Its built for longer ranges. I've been contemplating for quite a while to do a "lighter" 16" gun.
    INGO Classified Ad Rules
    INGO Forum Rules
    Click here to become an INGO
    Click here if you are interested in advertising

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by daddyusmaximus View Post
    1. I'm on other forums too. One of them is M4Carbine.net, and they are very knowledgeable on the two different .308 platforms... Having two different .308 styles can get confusing as everything isn't as standardized as with the 5.56 AR world, because there isn't a government standard.
    2. No clue. I bought the parts over the course of about a year. Look up the parts, wait for sales..
    3. Online... I looked around for the least expensive place that had a good rep.
    4. Not that I remember, but there may have been a couple times where I bought a different part if one was out of stock. Now it may be different because people are panic buying everything.
    5. NO. If you get all the parts for the same platform (I went with the DPMS style) and they're good quality parts that are well matched (same as with any AR) everything should work. Or you could start with a factory rifle, then just change a few things if that's all you need.
    6. Good so far, but it's only been out a few times. Mostly because my stash of .308 isn't that big, and I'm not able to afford to build it up right now with so many other projects going on. I keep getting sidetracked into spending money on other crap... My 7mm Mauser, my .303 British, my CJ7... Hell, I just picked up an old stereo console today for a bluetooth build.
    Thank you very much for the prompt and detailed response. I particularly appreciate the "DPMS" style. That's helpful!
    The Schofield Kid: Well, I guess they had it... comin'.
    Will Munny: We all got it comin', Kid.

User Info Menu

I like it....I like it real good. Nice work!
    There's lots of ________ on here who don't fit your particular stereotype, smearing us with goofball sophistry is what is out of line. It just makes gunowners look like *******s.

- CarmelHP

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by cmamath13 View Post
    Thank you very much for the prompt and detailed response. I particularly appreciate the "DPMS" style. That's helpful!
    I've learned a little about this platform, or I should say, these platforms, because as stated: nothing is standardized.

I bought a stripped DPMS gen2 upper but can't seem to find any bcg nor barrel that works. Silly me, wasting the money. I knew beforehand and bought them thinking it would be easy to find.

Definitely staying with DPMS gen 1, and Aero seems to have a great following. I'm probably going to post some Aero stuff up in the longun classified later if you're interested. I won't be pricing it higher than what I have in them either. So check it out if you want to get into Aero.

User Info Menu

I like daddyusmaximus' build, and while it's the exact size and shape of what I'd like to build, ive already tried and failed - but haven't given up just yet.

Definitely want to do one similar to this.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by LEaSH View Post
    I've learned a little about this platform, or I should say, these platforms, because as stated: nothing is standardized.

I bought a stripped DPMS gen2 upper but can't seem to find any bcg nor barrel that works. Silly me, wasting the money. I knew beforehand and bought them thinking it would be easy to find.

Definitely staying with DPMS gen 1, and Aero seems to have a great following. I'm probably going to post some Aero stuff up in the longun classified later if you're interested. I won't be pricing it higher than what I have in them either. So check it out if you want to get into Aero.
    Thanks for the info LEaSH!
    The Schofield Kid: Well, I guess they had it... comin'.
    Will Munny: We all got it comin', Kid.

User Info Menu

You want I can pm you my ad prior to posting?
    I'm not trying to be pushy or anything. Just trying to make it easy on myself.

I'm putting together ad now.

User Info Menu

I've only had it out a couple times, and was getting right at 1.5", but had some groups under (none under 1") with 168gr Fed GMM. BA says their Hanson barrels are 1" barrels, so I either got a dud, or need to shoot better... Either way, that's still very respectable in my book. We all have this "every gun has to shoot 1" mentality these days... Plus I'm getting older, and I shoot less often than I used to. Hoping to get better, but I'm happy with it as it sits.

EDIT... 1.5" is from a bench, but still plenty accurate for a combat carbine.
    Have you a chronograph to see what velocity you are getting with the different loads? I'd love to see what velocity you are getting with your perfect rifle.
    Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by DadSmith View Post
    Have you a chronograph to see what velocity you are getting with the different loads? I'd love to see what velocity you are getting with your perfect rifle.
    Don't have a chrono, or know anyone with one...

Was thinking of maybe trying some of the MK319 Mod 0 130 gr SOST OTM. That round was supposed to be optimized for the MK 17 SCAR program. It will do 2925 fps @ 25 ft from the 16" barrel, or 2750 fps @ 25" from the 13" CQC barrel, so my going with a 14" wouldn't be a problem for it...
    Last edited by daddyusmaximus; 03-29-2020 at 12:00.
    You know what I like best about most people? Their dogs.

User Info Menu

I put together the perfect .308 AR. I've posted a photo of if before, but I haven't explained the build yet.
    Now keep in mind, when I say that it's the "perfect.308 AR", I mean it's the perfect one... for me.
    Congrats! Very nice looking build. Hope it serves you well.

Stamp collecting is fun!

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast