• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • daddyusmaximus

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.8%
    82   1   0
    Aug 21, 2013
    Remington
    I put together the perfect .308 AR. I've posted a photo of if before, but I haven't explained the build yet.

Now keep in mind, when I say that it's the "perfect.308 AR", I mean it's the perfect one... for me. I was looking to get into a .308 because I wanted the better terminal ballistics of the heavier round. What I didn't really need, was the increased range. This was to be a defensive combat carbine. As it was to be "defensive" in nature, it's not one I would need to reach out long distances, at least not in my area, and not that I would be able to justify any long distance shooting in any court... I just wanted something with a bit more oomph than the 5.56, or should things go really bad, the ability to punch through cover better.

I did still want to keep it in as small, and light a package as I could. I like a patrol carbine, not a full on sniper rifle.

On the other hand, I've seen guys go way too far with the "smaller is better" theory too building 10" .308 pistols that though probably fun to play with, would pretty much cut the .308 off at the knees. I tried to make a decent compromise, and I'm pretty happy with the result.

Receivers... Aero Precision with their LPK
    Barrel... BA Hanson 14" with pin-and-welded Warcomp
    Rail system... Midwest Industries
    Scope... Primary Arms 1-8 with the ACSS reticle
    BUIS... Troy with tritium
    BCG... Lantac enhanced
    Recoil system... JP Captured
    Trigger... Geissele SSA-E
    Furniture... Magpul CTR stock, MOE grip, MVG M-LOK
    Weaponlight... Surefire M300 Scout Light
    Leftover ambidextrous safety that I can't remember where I got...
    Leftover scope mount... same deal... just happened to work out well.

Anyway, the end result is the rifle is a bit heavier that the typical AR (as expected being a .308) but still very easily carried as a patrol carbine. I lose some velocity, and power going down to 14", but not as much as going crazy, and doing the full on SBR 10" thing. It still packs a lot more punch than a 5.56. It's very controllable. Not sure if that's because I'm a big dude (6'1" 280) with 28 years of Army experience, or the very effective Warcomp (probably both) but I like it. I really like the ACSS reticle.

VRiDcyr.jpg

DocIndy

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    38   0   0
    Mar 30, 2010
    Franklin
    Nice build! What are your accuracy expectations from it? I have a SOCOM 16 in a Troy MCS, but have often thought about a AR based build....

daddyusmaximus

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.8%
    82   1   0
    Aug 21, 2013
    Remington
    I've only had it out a couple times, and was getting right at 1.5", but had some groups under (none under 1") with 168gr Fed GMM. BA says their Hanson barrels are 1" barrels, so I either got a dud, or need to shoot better... Either way, that's still very respectable in my book. We all have this "every gun has to shoot 1" mentality these days... Plus I'm getting older, and I shoot less often than I used to. Hoping to get better, but I'm happy with it as it sits.

EDIT... 1.5" is from a bench, but still plenty accurate for a combat carbine.

bjenkins

Master
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Jul 4, 2014
    jeffersonville
    I put together the perfect .308 AR. I've posted a photo of if before, but I haven't explained the build yet.

Now keep in mind, when I say that it's the "perfect.308 AR", I mean it's the perfect one... for me. I was looking to get into a .308 because I wanted the better terminal ballistics of the heavier round. What I didn't really need, was the increased range. This was to be a defensive combat carbine. As it was to be "defensive" in nature, it's not one I would need to reach out long distances, at least not in my area, and not that I would be able to justify any long distance shooting in any court... I just wanted something with a bit more oomph than the 5.56, or should things go really bad, the ability to punch through cover better.

I did still want to keep it in as small, and light a package as I could. I like a patrol carbine, not a full on sniper rifle.

On the other hand, I've seen guys go way too far with the "smaller is better" theory too building 10" .308 pistols that though probably fun to play with, would pretty much cut the .308 off at the knees. I tried to make a decent compromise, and I'm pretty happy with the result.

BCG... Lantac enhanced

Anyway, the end result is the rifle is a bit heavier that the typical AR (as expected being a .308) but still very easily carried as a patrol carbine. I lose some velocity, and power going down to 14", but not as much as going crazy, and doing the full on SBR 10" thing. It still packs a lot more punch than a 5.56. It's very controllable. Not sure if that's because I'm a big dude (6'1" 280) with 28 years of Army experience, or the very effective Warcomp (probably both) but I like it. I really like the ACSS reticle.

VRiDcyr.jpg
    That looks very sweet!psyko

roscott

Master
    Rating - 97.5%
    39   1   0
    Mar 1, 2009
    Very cool. I’ve considered a similar build, but really looks like you nailed it. What’s the finished weight?

Did the BA barrel come as a 14” or did you have it cut down?

cmamath13

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Mar 3, 2013
    Greenwood
    Daddyusmaximus,

I really like what you have put together! It must feel pretty cool to have your rifle exactly like you wanted it to be!

I am considering building something similar to yours.
    1. Do you have a recommendation on a beginners tutorial how?
    2. Roughly, how much did you invest?
    3. Where did you pick the parts?
    4. Did you have any trouble finding in-stock items?
    5. Did you have any compatibility issues with parts?
    6. How's reliability?
    Thanks!

daddyusmaximus

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.8%
    82   1   0
    Aug 21, 2013
    Remington
    Very cool. I’ve considered a similar build, but really looks like you nailed it. What’s the finished weight?

Did the BA barrel come as a 14” or did you have it cut down?

Came that way. It was a discontinued barrel, and was on sale, plus black Friday, plus my military discount...

No idea on weight. It's not like I can walk in to the post office, and ask then to weigh it...

daddyusmaximus

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.8%
    82   1   0
    Aug 21, 2013
    Remington
    Daddyusmaximus,

I really like what you have put together! It must feel pretty cool to have your rifle exactly like you wanted it to be!

I am considering building something similar to yours.
    1. Do you have a recommendation on a beginners tutorial how?
    2. Roughly, how much did you invest?
    3. Where did you pick the parts?
    4. Did you have any trouble finding in-stock items?
    5. Did you have any compatibility issues with parts?
    6. How's reliability?
    Thanks!

1. I'm on other forums too. One of them is M4Carbine.net, and they are very knowledgeable on the two different .308 platforms... Having two different .308 styles can get confusing as everything isn't as standardized as with the 5.56 AR world, because there isn't a government standard.
    2. No clue. I bought the parts over the course of about a year. Look up the parts, wait for sales..
    3. Online... I looked around for the least expensive place that had a good rep.
    4. Not that I remember, but there may have been a couple times where I bought a different part if one was out of stock. Now it may be different because people are panic buying everything.
    5. NO. If you get all the parts for the same platform (I went with the DPMS style) and they're good quality parts that are well matched (same as with any AR) everything should work. Or you could start with a factory rifle, then just change a few things if that's all you need.
    6. Good so far, but it's only been out a few times. Mostly because my stash of .308 isn't that big, and I'm not able to afford to build it up right now with so many other projects going on. I keep getting sidetracked into spending money on other crap... My 7mm Mauser, my .303 British, my CJ7... Hell, I just picked up an old stereo console today for a bluetooth build.

crazygunner1

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 5, 2020
    Kokomo

BCG... Lantac enhanced

VRiDcyr.jpg

I like the fact you said the perfect one for you. This statement will cause a lot less argument lol

MontereyC6

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 16, 2008
    Greenwood
    Nice build! My only. 308 AR has a 20" barrel. Its built for longer ranges. I've been contemplating for quite a while to do a "lighter" 16" gun.

cmamath13

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Mar 3, 2013
    Greenwood
    1. I'm on other forums too. One of them is M4Carbine.net, and they are very knowledgeable on the two different .308 platforms... Having two different .308 styles can get confusing as everything isn't as standardized as with the 5.56 AR world, because there isn't a government standard.
    2. No clue. I bought the parts over the course of about a year. Look up the parts, wait for sales..
    3. Online... I looked around for the least expensive place that had a good rep.
    4. Not that I remember, but there may have been a couple times where I bought a different part if one was out of stock. Now it may be different because people are panic buying everything.
    5. NO. If you get all the parts for the same platform (I went with the DPMS style) and they're good quality parts that are well matched (same as with any AR) everything should work. Or you could start with a factory rifle, then just change a few things if that's all you need.
    6. Good so far, but it's only been out a few times. Mostly because my stash of .308 isn't that big, and I'm not able to afford to build it up right now with so many other projects going on. I keep getting sidetracked into spending money on other crap... My 7mm Mauser, my .303 British, my CJ7... Hell, I just picked up an old stereo console today for a bluetooth build.

Thank you very much for the prompt and detailed response. I particularly appreciate the "DPMS" style. That's helpful!

LEaSH

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Aug 10, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Thank you very much for the prompt and detailed response. I particularly appreciate the "DPMS" style. That's helpful!

I've learned a little about this platform, or I should say, these platforms, because as stated: nothing is standardized.

I bought a stripped DPMS gen2 upper but can't seem to find any bcg nor barrel that works. Silly me, wasting the money. I knew beforehand and bought them thinking it would be easy to find.

Definitely staying with DPMS gen 1, and Aero seems to have a great following. I'm probably going to post some Aero stuff up in the longun classified later if you're interested. I won't be pricing it higher than what I have in them either. So check it out if you want to get into Aero.

LEaSH

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Aug 10, 2009
    Indianapolis
    I like daddyusmaximus' build, and while it's the exact size and shape of what I'd like to build, ive already tried and failed - but haven't given up just yet.

Definitely want to do one similar to this.

cmamath13

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Mar 3, 2013
    Greenwood
    I've learned a little about this platform, or I should say, these platforms, because as stated: nothing is standardized.

I bought a stripped DPMS gen2 upper but can't seem to find any bcg nor barrel that works. Silly me, wasting the money. I knew beforehand and bought them thinking it would be easy to find.

Definitely staying with DPMS gen 1, and Aero seems to have a great following. I'm probably going to post some Aero stuff up in the longun classified later if you're interested. I won't be pricing it higher than what I have in them either. So check it out if you want to get into Aero.

Thanks for the info LEaSH!

LEaSH

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Aug 10, 2009
    Indianapolis
    You want I can pm you my ad prior to posting?
    I'm not trying to be pushy or anything. Just trying to make it easy on myself.

I'm putting together ad now.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    I've only had it out a couple times, and was getting right at 1.5", but had some groups under (none under 1") with 168gr Fed GMM. BA says their Hanson barrels are 1" barrels, so I either got a dud, or need to shoot better... Either way, that's still very respectable in my book. We all have this "every gun has to shoot 1" mentality these days... Plus I'm getting older, and I shoot less often than I used to. Hoping to get better, but I'm happy with it as it sits.

EDIT... 1.5" is from a bench, but still plenty accurate for a combat carbine.

Have you a chronograph to see what velocity you are getting with the different loads? I'd love to see what velocity you are getting with your perfect rifle.

daddyusmaximus

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.8%
    82   1   0
    Aug 21, 2013
    Remington
    Have you a chronograph to see what velocity you are getting with the different loads? I'd love to see what velocity you are getting with your perfect rifle.

Don't have a chrono, or know anyone with one...

Was thinking of maybe trying some of the MK319 Mod 0 130 gr SOST OTM. That round was supposed to be optimized for the MK 17 SCAR program. It will do 2925 fps @ 25 ft from the 16" barrel, or 2750 fps @ 25" from the 13" CQC barrel, so my going with a 14" wouldn't be a problem for it...

Last edited:
    Top Bottom