• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • thelefthand

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 8, 2008
    Last summer I decided that I wanted to add another AR to the family, but this time I wanted something I could hunt with, AND something I could stretch out for plinking at some distance. I settled on the 6.5 Grendel. After seeing the prices on the finished uppers from some of the more well known brands, I decided to build one instead. Then I stumbled across Sanders Armory. They had complete 24" uppers available for less than I could build one. After spending some time on the phone with them, I decided to give them a try.

The upper arrived within the quoted lead time. I paired it with a lower that I had already assembled using a Rock River NM 2 stage trigger, and a PRS stock, and added 4.5-27 Athlon glass. Accuracy with factory 123 gr SST is right around 1" which is not impressive in my book. However, I've worked up multiple hand loads with the 123gr SST, and the 105 gr MKZ using 3 different powders and they will all shoot under 1/2 MOA out to 400 yards. Some are approaching 1/4 moa when I do my part. The 105 gr MKZ proved very effective on deer. With a BC in the high .4s and a muzzle velocity over 2700 fps, this load gives up very little to the 6.5 Creedmoor.

All in all, I am very happy with it. I've got around 300 rounds down the tube so far with no feed issus. I've been surprised at the lack of copper fowling from the new barrel and the all copper MKZ projectiles from Cavity Back Bullets. Love this combination. I'm looking forward to seeing what I can do with some 123 gr Scenar and N530. While I do wish there were more factory loads available, I'd still highly recommend this cartridge or the 6.8 SPC to anyone looking for an all around cartridge for the AR15 platform. I'd also highly recommend getting the upper from Sanders Armory. Nice folks who build a good product.

Last edited:

luvall

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Noblesville
    I have a 6.5 G with a 16" that I used for the first time this hunting season. First hour I harvested a great 10 point at 275 yards, walking, and quartering away. I had a 1 foot window to shoot through on this deer. I took out both lungs and he went a total of 10 yards before taking the dirt nap. I had tried all the factory ammo but mine likes Federal Fusion the best. I've heard all kinds of (+/-) on my Radical upper, mostly (-) but the proof is in the freezer. I can't argue with the results but it hasn't stopped me from looking at the Sanders because like you, those who have them, love them. If they go on a crazy low price, I just might be tempted. If you see a deal - send me a PM. Enjoy the 6.5 G. I hope they get more popular so more ammo companies enter the market and we have better ammo options and availability. I don't have time to reload so I'm doomed to keep using factory.

thelefthand

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 8, 2008
    Congrats on the good harvest! The two I took with mine were both reasonably close (80ish yds), but it was nice to be able to precicly place the round exactly where I wanted it.

Reloading only takes time if you're doing volume. I can load 20 "match grade" rounds in about 30 min . Working up a good load, on the other hand, does take some time. That has been the fun part though . IMHO, the 6.5 G and the 6.8 SPC are the most ideal whitetail/mule deer rounds on the market. 300 yds is a cake walk for them, and that's a lot farther than most hunters should be shooting...

I don't think Sanders runs crazy sales. As I recall, my complete upper was $525. It was one of the package deals they run frequently. Really good price, but not crazy. Shorter barrel setups are generally less $$, but I wanted the longer barrel for more speed = less drift at dist.

luvall

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Noblesville
    I will retire in a few years and then I will reload. I work 6 days a week and 60+ hours so time doesn’t permit it now. I decided on the 16” for weight and maneuverability. I ground hunt and stalk so weight is important.

thelefthand

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 8, 2008
    Totally get that. I was in a similar situation for a long time. my current job have me most of my weekends back. I started reloading in my late teens, so it's basically built into my general thought process for purchasing a new firearm. That said, you made a great choice. Only reason I went with the 24" barrel is because I would like to venture into F Class at some point, and this will give me a starting point. Otherwise I would have gone with a 16" for the same reason you did. Looks like current pricing from Sanders for a complete 16" 6.5 G upper starts at $450.

Top Bottom