• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Oct 3, 2008
    On a hill in Perry C
    No more juggling of rifle, light, and call for me!
    On advice of our very own rookie decided to make a foray into the world of night vision. True tubed NV was out of the picture $wise and it was recommended that I try a Sightmark Wraith digital scope. Mounted it on a Ruger AR that I picked up on sale a few months ago that was just sitting around.
    Finally got around to sighting it in and I'm impressed! In the limited shooting (~100 rds) I've done so far, the rifle itself has been flawless functionally and accuracy actually quite good for a relatively inexpensive rifle. The scope is taking some getting used to so I'm sure I'm not getting all the accuracy the combo is capable of. It has a definite preference for 55 gr bullets, unfortunately it hates one of my favorite 75 gr factory loads. Only real complaint I've got is the trigger is little on the rough side but that's easily solved.
    Now a couple of pics.
    smnEuPD.jpg

yieQr6n.jpg

All groups are 5 shots, fired at 100 yards. And yes, it is now zeroed with Hornady American Gunner 55 gr HPBTs. Final group is top right of second pic, flyer was me, saw how small the group was and got the yips on the last shot.
    OLsrEYO.jpg

LSAjAva.jpg

And a gratuitous pic of some other rifles I had out the same day.
    dQEXGAS.jpg

Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Oct 3, 2008
    On a hill in Perry C
    Awesome! Are you planning to add an IR light, or are you sticking with the stock light?

Yes, going to upgrade the IR. I've messed around with the stock unit and it works good to about 75-100 yards on coons and rabbits, past that it gets hard to I.D. I imagine on a yote 200 yards would be pushing it. No, didn't shoot the coons and rabbits, just looking around.

Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Oct 3, 2008
    On a hill in Perry C
    I've got a memory card to put in the scope so I can take pics and videos. Once I find it I'll get some pics, day and night, and post them. Hopefully some of the local wildlife will be out to give you an idea on what things look like.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    What does a decent thermal scope run? Something that you can hit a coyote at around 200-300yds. I've got to many running around the back 40 again and they are getting numerous. I thinned them out a few years ago.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Oct 3, 2008
    On a hill in Perry C
    A couple scope pics. Ignore the date in the daylight pic, I messed up when setting date and didn't catch it until this morning. One really neat thing about the scope is you can set 5 different profiles for different loads and other settings. Change ammo, change profile, ready to go.
    Daylight at 4x, box is at about 50 yards.
    tvOg0x2.jpg

Black and white night at 4x. Same box, same distance. IR on low.
    UDCLUwe.jpg

Our old Miss Doe from about 10-12 yards.
    0eIYIrw.jpg

And I just noticed I got the month right but the day is still wrong. I really need a keeper. :n00b:

Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Oct 3, 2008
    On a hill in Perry C
    Reviving this old thread. With everything else going on getting a different IR kinda got put on the back burner, then forgot about until today. Made a couple of changes to the appearance of the rig, the brown is a quite a bit darker than I had hoped so that portion will need fixed, but otherwise for a first attempt at sponge painting, I think it turned out fairly decent.
    dnkXK3A.jpg

tS1MRFy.jpg

LRh952R.jpg

Jaybird1980

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    North Central
    Paint turned out pretty good, like Rookie I'm not sure I could do my own. I did do some tape on my old Savage coyote rifle that was probably worse than painting it.

Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Oct 3, 2008
    On a hill in Perry C
    Thanks guys! The painting was easy, just take a piece of sponge and dip it in paint and make a pattern. I started with earth brown and made bands around the rifle, then repeated with forest green, then last added some sand blotches to kinda break up the solid bands and add a little contrast. Including wiping it down with acetone before the paint, took maybe a hour and a half of actual work. I think using some coyote brown in addition to or in place of the earth brown would be the only thing I'd do different. Also if you're not happy with something a little acetone on a rag will take the paint off pronto before it completely dries.
    One other note. I used a plain ol kitchen sponge that I cut into 1" squares for all of it. I think a natural sponge that is torn would be better for the contrast areas as the holes in it would be bigger and would make a more random blotch.

Last edited:

BankShot

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 3, 2020
    Clark County
    Thanks guys! The painting was easy, just take a piece of sponge and dip it in paint and make a pattern. I started with earth brown and made bands around the rifle, then repeated with forest green, then last added some sand blotches to kinda break up the solid bands and add a little contrast. Including wiping it down with acetone before the paint, took maybe a hour and a half of actual work. I think using some coyote brown in addition to or in place of the earth brown would be the only thing I'd do different. Also if you're not happy with something a little acetone on a rag will take the paint off pronto before it completely dries.
    One other note. I used a plain ol kitchen sponge that I cut into 1" squares for all of it. I think a natural sponge that is torn would be better for the contrast areas as the holes in it would be bigger and would make a more random blotch.

I like the paint job, but like some of the others have said I would be afraid to try it. You make it sound too easy. My wife and daughter can paint just about anything. If I tried to paint a person it would probably look a lot like your avatar.:dunno:

Top Bottom