• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • sgreen3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Jan 19, 2011
    Scottsburg,In
    I've been wanting another SKS for a while to just add to the collection since they seem to keep getting more and more pricey to get. So when Classic had some "Cracked Stock" rifle on special for a decent price, so I said why not... Be a fun little project and I wanted a shooter anyway not as an investment piece. So I figured at the very least id have to find a replacement stock, which wasn't a huge deal as I have a buddy that had a Chinese set he no longer had the rifle for. So the day came the rifle came in and MY GOSH this was single handedly the most cosmoline I had ever seen on a single rifle lol. It was just drenched, covered, lathered, encased in it! But from what I could tell I couldn't see any cracks in the stock! So I proceeded to get the wood de-cosmoed as well as all the metal parts and clean it all up. So I soaked everything in a mixture of thinner and mineral spirits and let it sit over night most all the cosmo had leached out into the bottom of the tub by morning and after letting the wood dry I hit it with the heat gun and paper towels to finish off the cosmo removal. Then added 3 coats of poly-acrylic to seal off the wood. Then oiled down all the metal parts before reassembly. I did end up finding one small crack in the forend of the stock (see pic) so I just filled it with super glue and sanded it down and it turned out well I believe. This was awesome on a few fronts as this rifle turned out to be an all numbers matching Chinese SKS. So all in all it was fun little project and turned out even better since the crack was minimal. Super stoked to have a SKS back in the safe, their just a ton of fun!

An absolutely ridiculous amount of cosmoline :):

Cosmoed-SKS.jpg

Soaking all the parts in Thinner and mineral spirits. You can see all that stuff melting off and settling in the bottom....

SKS_soaking_in_Solvent.jpg

After the first coat of poly-acrylic (defiantly looks a ton better imo)

SKS_stock_refinishing.jpg

SKS_finished_project.jpg

Here is the finished product. By no means a show piece, but most defiantly a usable shooter! :ar15:

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    Thanks for posting this. I’ve seen those ads and have considered buying one but I hate to buy something like that sight-unseen. Yours looks good to me.

223 Gunner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    199   0   0
    Jan 7, 2009
    Red Sector A
    Can I ask what the hell you did with all that paint thinner and mineral spirits when you were done?

A more eco friendly way is to put it in a black trash bag and let it sit in the sun all day.
    Better done in the summer of course, and also depends on where you live as far as leaving it in your yard all day.
    It all comes right off, and is contained in the trash bag.
    Cheaper that way too.

Back on topic, your SKS has that "battle field pick up" look to it.
    Looks like it has actually seen some action at some point in its life.
    Cool rifle, I've had a few over the years and never seem to hang onto them.

I've had two nice Russians, and 3 or 4 Chinese.

sgreen3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Jan 19, 2011
    Scottsburg,In
    Thanks for posting this. I’ve seen those ads and have considered buying one but I hate to buy something like that sight-unseen. Yours looks good to me.

Not a problem, I wont lie I was a little apprehensive about getting one, but the price was tempting and I had the coin so I took a chance.. Overall Im very happy with the purchase.

sgreen3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Jan 19, 2011
    Scottsburg,In
    A more eco friendly way is to put it in a black trash bag and let it sit in the sun all day.
    Better done in the summer of course, and also depends on where you live as far as leaving it in your yard all day.
    It all comes right off, and is contained in the trash bag.
    Cheaper that way too.

Back on topic, your SKS has that "battle field pick up" look to it.
    Looks like it has actually seen some action at some point in its life.
    Cool rifle, I've had a few over the years and never seem to hang onto them.

I've had two nice Russians, and 3 or 4 Chinese.

I was wondering about that as it has some "character" on the wood for sure!

223 Gunner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    199   0   0
    Jan 7, 2009
    Red Sector A
    May I ask what the markings are on the rifle?

Also, has some bluing completely missing at the muzzle, bayo handle is nicely worn as well. Other areas like the barrel and receiver are thin.
    The battle field pick up look, or distressed look, seems to be trendy these days. I must admit I like it too.

Spyco

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 26, 2012
    NWI
    Nice, I should probably do that for my SKS. I also bought 1 off of classic, but it wasn't listed as a cracked stock. Got it and the stock looks like is had been through the wringer. Won't be buying from Classic again for guns. Still shoots well, the conscripts had it zero'd just fine before it was put away.

Album of my SKS
    https://imgur.com/a/yKjhMmu

Do you think that soaking it in mineral spirits for a few days, drying it for a week, and then poly coating it will work?

sgreen3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Jan 19, 2011
    Scottsburg,In
    Nice, I should probably do that for my SKS. I also bought 1 off of classic, but it wasn't listed as a cracked stock. Got it and the stock looks like is had been through the wringer. Won't be buying from Classic again for guns. Still shoots well, the conscripts had it zero'd just fine before it was put away.

Album of my SKS
    https://imgur.com/a/yKjhMmu

Do you think that soaking it in mineral spirits for a few days, drying it for a week, and then poly coating it will work?

It worked well for mine anyway. My stock albeit looking like it was used a battle implement itself has no greasiness to it all and is very clean feeling. So I think it worked very well considering what I started with..

Spyco

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 26, 2012
    NWI
    It worked well for mine anyway. My stock albeit looking like it was used a battle implement itself has no greasiness to it all and is very clean feeling. So I think it worked very well considering what I started with..

Considering you only had a minor crack, your stock looks loads better than mine does. Does the fore end on your stock have a large gap between the metal fuller cap and the wood?

sgreen3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Jan 19, 2011
    Scottsburg,In
    Considering you only had a minor crack, your stock looks loads better than mine does. Does the fore end on your stock have a large gap between the metal fuller cap and the wood?

There is a small gap, but its not terrible. Im begining to think from a few other guys Ive talked to I just got lucky on thise one I got....

Spyco

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 26, 2012
    NWI
    There is a small gap, but its not terrible. Im begining to think from a few other guys Ive talked to I just got lucky on thise one I got....

I'd say you got one hell of a draw. Hopefully its just as accurate as my rifle.

sgreen3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Jan 19, 2011
    Scottsburg,In

Im hoping so also. I was able to step out back and shoot a few rounds after I got it finished at 110yrds and was able to hit steel with it so I was happy. But defiantly need some more range time with it...

223 Gunner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    199   0   0
    Jan 7, 2009
    Red Sector A
    I am by no means an SKS expert, but I do believe that the true Military rifles only had markings like yours, and NOT marked Norinco or Polytec.
    That's why I asked, I suspected it had been issued and probably has seen some action.
    It also has a rack number near the butt of the stock.

223 Gunner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    199   0   0
    Jan 7, 2009
    Red Sector A

If it makes you feel any better, I looked at your album. I believe yours too is a true Chinese Military rifle, and for what it's worth for both of you the spike bayonet usually adds about $40 dollars in value.
    The "spikers" are more desirable.
    If you hold onto it for 8 years or so, you will see the value climb, as collectors like what they call an "honest" gun. Meaning appreciating it for its honest wear. Of course you can replace your stock or spend time trying to fix it.
    If you do either, it will actually de-value it.

Restroyer

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 13, 2015
    SE Indiana
    Very cool post. My sons have been trying to get me to buy one from Classic but I just don't trust Classic enough. Seems like some people get a nice one like you did and other people get a piece of junk. I know it's the luck of the draw but I'm not a lucky guy.

Top Bottom