• ...and so much more!
  • Rburney

Marksman
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Dec 15, 2017
    Avon
    I purchased this sporterized Arisaka type 99 long rifle off this site better than a year ago. Could be two years ago. Not really sure. Thankfully the barrel was not shortened.

The “Type 99 Long” is not your standard Arisaka. It is a rare variant of the traditional arisaka. There were roughly 38,000 produced in the early 1940’s. 30,000 of them at the Toyo Koygo arsenal and 8,000 at the Nagoya arsenal. This example was made at the Nagoya arsenal. It is a zero series 4 digit serial number (1092). The mum is even in tact.

Since I purchased it, My son and I have been looking for the proper stock for this rifle. Mostly my son. He finally found one and purchased it. It arrived today. Can’t wait to get it together. Only thing I and missing is the monopod.

I tried to post photos but I have reached some sort of file storage maximum. I will have to try and figure it out.

Last edited:

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    Arisaka's are fun to shoot.
    Still find it hard to believe that the people with the smallest stature in the war carried some of the longest firearms.

Mine is beat all to hell, looking like it went through three world wars, but the bore is still shiny and still shoots straight.
    The intact mum raises the price considerably, all else being equal.

Finding decent ammo at a reasonable price might be a challenge.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    I had one I shot a lot it was my 1st rifle dad bought it at a flea market and gave it to me when I was 14yo. It was in excellent condition. The mum had a little yellow looking paint in it kind of worn but still visible. Don't know if they were done like that at the factory or not. It had the bayonet as well. Very accurate. I used it on several elk hunting trips in my teens to Colorado with my father. It is one I'd like to have kept. Circumstances of life and having three young boys of my own, and their needs outweighed the need of having it. Plus I got a really good deal back 29 years ago for it. Not sure what one like that would be worth today.

Spetasal

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 31, 2012
    The Region
    Arisakas are fun to shoot.

I got a 99 from my grandfather that brought it back from the war. Stock is a bit beat, but otherwise in good shape. Intact mum, all matching #s. Just can’t tell if the bayonet is original to that one or not.

Hornady used to make ammo that was very reasonable (Not the ridiculousness that Norma charges). Haven’t seen it in a while, though I haven’t looked for it in a while either.

Cabelas sells new brass (Norma) for decent prices. Lee makes dies for 7.7, use 303 British (.312) bullets. I’ve heard you can also trim and resize 30-06, haven’t tried it though.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County

I got a 99 from my grandfather that brought it back from the war. Stock is a bit beat, but otherwise in good shape. Intact mum, all matching #s. Just can’t tell if the bayonet is original to that one or not.

Hornady used to make ammo that was very reasonable (Not the ridiculousness that Norma charges). Haven’t seen it in a while, though I haven’t looked for it in a while either.

Cabelas sells new brass (Norma) for decent prices. Lee makes dies for 7.7, use 303 British (.312) bullets. I’ve heard you can also trim and resize 30-06, haven’t tried it though.

I use to reload it. I took 30 06 brass necked them up to .312 and they worked out great. I believe I had to trim the necks down some can't remember it's been a long time ago.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    Well, next time I take the Garand out for some fun I’ll have to save some of the casings to try!

Wow I was just looking around at my ammo dump and ran across a box of my reloads for the 7.7 Jap from 30 06 cases. They need a good tumbler cleaning. They are probably 30+ years old. I took a walk down memory lane after finding them. Good times.

Also when you reform the 06 brass do it slowly and little at a time until the expander gets through the neck. Must have a full length sizing die as well. I used Hornady case spray and dabbed a little in the case mouth before resizing. It did the trick. Just take your time do it slowly and it will work.

Last edited:

Mongo59

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 30, 2018
    Purgatory

The 99's were not intentionally issued with the matching bayonet.

The serial number on the bayonet was more for proof of production and QA.

If someone has the matching bayonet it is more of a fortunate happenstance that by intention.

Every 99 rifle out there has a matching bayonet even though they may have never been introduced to each other...

Mongo59

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 30, 2018
    Purgatory
    I have a type 99 with an intact mum, it is in what you would call 'terrible' shape.

We got it from an old man from south Georgia who was on Okinawa. He spent his time there with the artillery.

To show the effects of his actions he found a 99 that had been too close to the receiving end of a shell and sent it home to his parents.

The wood is splintered at the neck which stretched and broke the trigger guard and the magazine box doesn't line up anymore.

It is all there in it's original battlefield condition, I even found some dark sand impregnated in the wood.

We asked him what he was thinking when he did it and he replied, "sometimes kids do strange things..."

He was happy that we took an interest in it and passed it along to us with the story. You guys now get the story but we keep the gun...

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    I have a type 99 with an intact mum, it is in what you would call 'terrible' shape.

We got it from an old man from south Georgia who was on Okinawa. He spent his time there with the artillery.

To show the effects of his actions he found a 99 that had been too close to the receiving end of a shell and sent it home to his parents.

The wood is splintered at the neck which stretched and broke the trigger guard and the magazine box doesn't line up anymore.

It is all there in it's original battlefield condition, I even found some dark sand impregnated in the wood.

We asked him what he was thinking when he did it and he replied, "sometimes kids do strange things..."

He was happy that we took an interest in it and passed it along to us with the story. You guys now get the story but we keep the gun...

Great story.
    The shape mine is in tells me that it did NOT live life as an armory queen, if there is such a thing.
    Mine has a shiny bore, an intact mum, and the anti-aircraft sights, but other than that it looks beat all to hell!
    I am serious when I say it looks like it's been through three world wars!
    Still shoots great though, and I'll never part with it.

I just wish it could talk.
    I'd love to hear some of the stories about what/where it's been through.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    I need to pick up a Type 99 one of these days. I've got two Type 38's in original military configuration. One of them belonged to my childhood best friend's dad. He was stationed in Japan immediately after they surrendered and allegedly brought it back. Bore is a sewer pipe and it's in pretty rough shape overall, but he's not a gun guy (He's a flaming liberal actually - wouldn't surprise me if he's a Bernie Bro - needless to say we're not close anymore :):) but he knew that I would take good care of it. I remember it hanging in his basement when we were kids and that rifle seemed huge! He also had a sporterized Argentine Mauser 1891 that I got from him as well. Growing up, we both assumed it was a German military rifle. When I got it, I quickly found out what it really was.

The other one, I picked up from INGO's own halfmileharry indirectly. A friend of his got it from his uncle and it too is allegedly a bringback and Harry was helping him get rid of some of his uncle's things after he had passed. It's in great shape and that's the one I shoot. Very accurate, and pleasant to shoot (6.5x50R). I also have a sporterized Type 38 that I got from rob63. It's an awesome little sporter - very well done and not a "bubba" job. It was already scoped and it's a lot of fun to shoot as well.

Last edited:

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Type 38 from childhood friend:

js0J1YG.jpg

Type 38 from halfmileharry:

4G82tW3.jpg

Type 38 sporter from rob63:

84MMUQl.jpg

Jozenbau

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 29, 2020
    Wabash
    The one I have I am told is a series 4 type 99 short rifle. Pretty neat piece in my opinion for bein bout 80 years old.

Attachments

• 2AD91725-E697-478E-89E8-CA42F3FF25A1.jpg
      2AD91725-E697-478E-89E8-CA42F3FF25A1.jpg
      139.5 KB · Views: 10
    Top Bottom