• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Was thinking a boomer for 500 yard or a bit farther chucks.
    Double as a long range deer rig.

Savage medium heavy bbl, 7mm mag w a SWFA 10X.

Or maybe .25-06 (if just a varmint rig).

Found a channel on YT called "Chuckin TV".
    Man I sure do miss the old days of nuking grass grizzlies.

Of course, I still want a Ruger #1B w good wood in .243 for a gentleman's varminter.

Tombs

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Martinsville
    If you want to nuke small wildlife in a hell of fireworks, and you're bored with excessive time on your hands, go after a wildcat in a rifle. 22/243 middlestead should be quite the interesting tactical varmint nuke, there's load data that can push over 5000fps.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Oh I still think it'd be a hoot to get a Weatherby Mk V w pretty wood in .257 WM and ignite stuff w Nosler 85gr BTs :)

I always ran 70-75 gr handloads in my .243wins.
    Bud gave me some 55gr Nosler BT to try but I never did.

Used to run the old Speer 75gr HP, it'd whop a chuck pretty good, but once in a while get a dust up w chunks passing through.
    70gr Nosler BT won't do that unless I hit the neck. Body shots they don't exit.

4350 what I run, have to tap the cases too.
    Have no desire to push a bullet faster in that cartridge.

Better IMHO, to buy another rifle :)

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Alas, haven't hunted chucks for yrs, my old spots sold, or farmers kids built houses on em.
    Not a serious yote hunter, just something to do after deer season.
    Bud and I didn't even go last yr.
    Still good enough of an excuse to buy another rifle :)

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    If you want to nuke small wildlife in a hell of fireworks, and you're bored with excessive time on your hands, go after a wildcat in a rifle. 22/243 middlestead should be quite the interesting tactical varmint nuke, there's load data that can push over 5000fps.

Well THAT should burn up a barrel in short order!

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Yup, you shoot an area down and the coyotes keep it down.
    In the old days a bean field would be corn the next yr and not hunted.......so the groundhog survivors from the yr before would repopulate it.
    70's and 80's................never saw a coyote.
    Plenty of chucks though.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County

I looked it up and found this on it.

"I have only ever met one person who owned a .22-243 Middlestead, and he could do nothing but sing its praises – although he was reluctant to tell me how many barrels he had gone through over the 10 years he had owned it. That aside, it was an awesome bit of kit, with an impressive ballistic spec.

As can be deduced from the name, it’s based on a .243 Win case necked down with a 30-degree shoulder to .224, firing the same bullet as a .220 Swift. It pushes a tiny bullet at velocities that exceed 4,000fps, which can have detrimental effect on both your barrel and your wallet, with a lifespan unlikely to exceed 1,500 rounds. I guess that’s the price you pay for such flat trajectories."

drm-hp

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 23, 2019
    Brownsburg
    My first dedicated varmint rifle was a 220 Swift; I am still enamored at what you can do with one. First kill was a crow at 473 yards, after recoil all I saw was a purple haze. The rifle thereafter was named "Purple Haze". I was a dumb ass and sold it for some stupid reason. It was a Ruger 77 that I sent to Hart for a 26" full diameter barrel, that rifle would shoot! I have had several since, but none at this time. I am looking at a Cooper that may come to my home to fill my Swift hole.
    I built a dedicated coyote rifle several years ago that I really like but it is a waste on smaller things. Montana action, 26" Krieger #5 barrel, McMillan stock chambered in 6mm x 284 Win. I push 107gr matchkings faster than I will admit too.
    All in all, I I would recommend a Swift for all around fun, "Long Live the King".

Tombs

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Martinsville
    I looked it up and found this on it.

"I have only ever met one person who owned a .22-243 Middlestead, and he could do nothing but sing its praises – although he was reluctant to tell me how many barrels he had gone through over the 10 years he had owned it. That aside, it was an awesome bit of kit, with an impressive ballistic spec.

As can be deduced from the name, it’s based on a .243 Win case necked down with a 30-degree shoulder to .224, firing the same bullet as a .220 Swift. It pushes a tiny bullet at velocities that exceed 4,000fps, which can have detrimental effect on both your barrel and your wallet, with a lifespan unlikely to exceed 1,500 rounds. I guess that’s the price you pay for such flat trajectories."

Anything pushing tank level velocities is going to have a short barrel life.

It's the price you pay for ZOOOOOOM.

Top Bottom