• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Hawkeye7br

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 9, 2015
    Terre Haute
    For those with reasonable knowledge of both, is there an advantage of one over the other? The Creed is no doubt popular, but the 260 has more case capacity.

Why isn't the 260 the match winner that the Creed is?

edwea

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Jan 25, 2015
    New Dolan
    I've wondered this same thing. The loading manuals show nearly identical loads and nearly identical velocities. Perhaps each has different twists that would favor different weight bullets. Don't know.:popcorn:

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    The 6.5 creedmoore was marketed better from conception. That is why it's more popular. I've owned both, and have thousands of rounds through each. You would think there is more to it than that, but you would be wrong.

The popularity has given the creedmoore an advantage in factory ammo offerings.

sheepdog697

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Sep 2, 2015
    Cedar Lake
    Cost and availability for the most part. Ballistics wise they are very similar. Do you reload? If yes, maybe do more research and see if you would prefer the .260. If not, i would stick with the 6.5cm.

LeverGunFan

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 15, 2008
    Bartholomew County
    For those with reasonable knowledge of both, is there an advantage of one over the other? The Creed is no doubt popular, but the 260 has more case capacity.

Why isn't the 260 the match winner that the Creed is?

There are some subtle but important differences between the two. The 6.5 Creedmoor has a shorter case and a longer neck, so bullets can be seated farther out of the case at the same overall length as the 260 Remington. The bullets don't intrude into the powder space of the cartridge, and the longer neck provides better support and alignment of the bullet. To gain back some powder capacity, the 6.5 CM has less body taper and a shoulder angle increased from 20 degrees to 30 degrees. The less tapered case aligns better in sizing dies, possibly improving the neck sizing operation. The 30 degree shoulder angle is in line with many successful target cartridges. The standard twist rate for the 6.5 CM is 1 in 8 vs 1 in 9 for the 260 Rem, so it better stabilizes the longer bullets that are popular in the long range game. Essentially the 6.5 CM is an improved version of the 260 Rem, using many of the design details from the PPC series of target cartridges.

Macdaddy

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 17, 2020
    Winchester
    I've owned both and ballistically, the difference is insignificant. At this time though, as was pointed out earlier, availability of factory ammo and reloading supplies (cases), load data, etc. are far exceeded by the 6.5 CM. Even though I reload, I find the 6.5 CM to be the better choice today for those reasons alone. Also, good luck trying to sell a 260 Rem these days. The 6.5 CMs tend to hold on to their value much better due to their popularity and sell much quicker than the 260s.

Hawkeye7br

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 9, 2015
    Terre Haute
    There are some subtle but important differences between the two. The 6.5 Creedmoor has a shorter case and a longer neck, so bullets can be seated farther out of the case at the same overall length as the 260 Remington. The bullets don't intrude into the powder space of the cartridge, and the longer neck provides better support and alignment of the bullet. To gain back some powder capacity, the 6.5 CM has less body taper and a shoulder angle increased from 20 degrees to 30 degrees. The less tapered case aligns better in sizing dies, possibly improving the neck sizing operation. The 30 degree shoulder angle is in line with many successful target cartridges. The standard twist rate for the 6.5 CM is 1 in 8 vs 1 in 9 for the 260 Rem, so it better stabilizes the longer bullets that are popular in the long range game. Essentially the 6.5 CM is an improved version of the 260 Rem, using many of the design details from the PPC series of target cartridges.

I knew the shoulder angle was 30 degrees like a BR case, but didn't think about body taper. The 260 & 243 were pretty simple, just necking down the 308.

Hawkeye7br

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 9, 2015
    Terre Haute
    A friend & I were looking at doing builds to bridge the gap between 6br & 308. I've taken my 6br & 6.5x47 pistols out to 500m, and the 6br rifle to 650 yards. But his rifle is slow twist & 500m is about the limit. There are some affordable old target rifles available on some benchrest sites.

Hohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    USA
    As others have said, the cases are so close ballistically that it's nearly a tie. The slight case capacity advantage of the .260 disappears when you seat a bullet 130gr or more. If you want to run light bullets, the .260 might have a more substantial advantage in terms of case capacity.

However, that comes at a cost. The 6.5cm has every premium brass maker supporting it. Lapua. Peterson. ADG. Alpha. Heck, some makers offer both SRP and LRP versions of it (Starline, Peterson, etc).

That, and Hornady brass is cheap, plentiful, and not bad at all (if you don't push it).

The real reason to prefer the 6.5 is the chamber, not the cartridge. The 260 was afflicted with that stupid Remington 3 degree leade angle that they impose on everything. That leade starts at an OAL of 2.18" and from a freebore diameter of .265. The 6.5 on the other hand has a freebore diameter tighter (0.2645) and shorter (2.14") distance to a modern 1.5 degree leade.

The .260 basically continues the Remington design practice of designing chambers for lighter bullets and slower twists using outdated clearances and specs.

Now, if you are going with a custom reamer and specifying all the details, then by all means, pick whichever you prefer.

But within the realm of SAAMI chambers, it's no contest which is the better, more modern design.

AmmoManAaron

Master
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Feb 20, 2015
    I-get-around
    Along the lines of what Hohn said, you can build a modern take on the 260 Rem buy using a fast twist barrel and a different throat. I'm sure some people are have probably updated their old 260 Rem rigs in that fashion. Makes sense if you're already invested in the brass and dies. Old barrel is shot out or part way shot out, just get a new custom barrel and roll on.

two70

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Feb 5, 2016
    Johnson
    What's the difference, about $100-$300 depending on the rifle purchased (and your shopping ability). ;) I went with the .260 because I got my stainless laminated Tikka for close to $300 cheaper than the going price for the same model in 6.5 CM.

If you reload and you find a better deal on the rifle, the .260 is a great choice.

If you don't reload or intend to use heavier bullets for target shooting, then the 6.5 is a better choice.

Hohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    USA
    What's the difference, about $100-$300 depending on the rifle purchased (and your shopping ability). ;) I went with the .260 because I got my stainless laminated Tikka for close to $300 cheaper than the going price for the same model in 6.5 CM.

If you reload and you find a better deal on the rifle, the .260 is a great choice.

If you don't reload or intend to use heavier bullets for target shooting, then the 6.5 is a better choice.

That's a really great point.

When two options are close enough in some ways, it's time to move on to other tiebreakers.

brassweight-png.1173822

Goodcat

From a place you cannot see…
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    152   0   0
    Jan 13, 2009
    New Pal
    Both are fantastic choices. I run a 6.5 creedmoor because that’s what got my into the long range game. I’ve taken it from 200 yards to 1,000, to 1,760 and it served me well. Lots of guys doing amazing with 260. I wouldn’t shy away from either caliber, very similar in the concept of high BC and efficiency.

tenring

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 16, 2008
    Martinsville
    Recently saw a post wherein Uncle Sugar [think MCB Quantico] had ordered about 100K of .260 for more testing as the final coice for sniper rifles. Must have still been a close decision yet on that round or the 6.5 Creedmoor. Who know what will eventually happen, remembering it's the Gooberment that is in charge.

Top Bottom