Join INGunOwners For Free
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4
    Hop

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by viiiupndhead View Post
    Are you plinking for general marksmanship or trying to drill a specific manual of arms? I just sold one of my 10/22s to finance a Tippmann for this reason.
    I'm a small group chasing junkie. I sometimes spend too much time & $ trying to get a poor platform working up to my standards. That's all too easy to do with a 10/22 & a S&W 15/22 imo.
    I'm trying to get my guns to hold a consistent 1.5-3.5 MOA group size but prefer sub MOA of course. Who wouldn't?

I've been modding a 10/22 for a while now trying to shoot dimes at 100 yards, unsupported, prone position. I've trying to beat the guys shooting the >$5k kits without spending that in mods myself. Everyone's goals can be different of course.

Revere's Riders Instructor - Master Rifle KD, Master Pistol

NRA Pistol instructor | NRA Rifle instructor | NRA RSO
    Classes and info here: https://www.reveresriders.org/

User Info Menu

Henry lever action if you want to feel like a cowboy
    S&W 15-22 if you want to feel tactical (or want a ar trainer rifle)
    Ruger 1022 if you want a mag fed plinker
    Marlin Model 60 if you want a tube fed plinker.

User Info Menu

IMHO start with a bolt gun. Back that up with a nice single action 22 pistol. Both will last forever.

User Info Menu

My vote is always Anschutz, but there pricey...savage will.not break tne bank and will.do a good job....
    What is your price range and will this be a plinking toy or are you wanting something more for competitive shooting
    Quote Originally Posted by MarkC View Post
    To those of who lack such mad skills, your work, sir, is like magic!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Hookeye View Post
    I have never liked the old Mossbergs, in feel or look.
    You've never really had any class.
    Parkerizing lollipops since 1973.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by v8thunder27 View Post
    Of all the 22's that i have shot i would have to recommend the Henry classic lever 22 as one of my favorites. It comes with me almost every time I go to the range and it is easy to teach anyone how to shoot it. I use it to introduce new shooters to rifles.
    Just ordered the Henry .22 carbine with the oversized lever. FEDEX dropped it at the local kitchen-table FFL, but I haven't been there yet to get it. I am dying to try it out.

Plinker

User Info Menu

I have owned or currently own a Ruger 10-22 semi-auto, a Savage Mark 2 bolt action, a Henry lever action, a Marlin 795 semi-auto, and a CZ 455 bolt action. I could never get the Henry to be very accurate. The Ruger is now accurate but it cost hundreds of extra dollars to do so! My Savage Mark 2 was not accurate at all but my good friends was quite accurate...go figure! The CZ is very accurate and considerably more expensive than all the others. For good old plinking fun, it is hard to beat my Marlin 795 (I paid $85 new) and it is every bit as accurate as the CZ with CCI Standard Velocity ammo. I added an inexpensive Cabela's rimfire scope for $100 and I really enjoy using the gun and don't feel guilty banging it around when I take it with me. The only thing that stinks is the trigger, but I recently found a YouTube video by FogCityTactical that allowed me to decrease trigger pull to under 4 lbs. with a few simple modifications.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by patience0830 View Post
    You've never really had any class.

Maybe, but I've had some OK rifles

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Hop View Post
    I'm a small group chasing junkie. I sometimes spend too much time & $ trying to get a poor platform working up to my standards. That's all too easy to do with a 10/22 & a S&W 15/22 imo.
    I'm trying to get my guns to hold a consistent 1.5-3.5 MOA group size but prefer sub MOA of course. Who wouldn't?

I've been modding a 10/22 for a while now trying to shoot dimes at 100 yards, unsupported, prone position. I've trying to beat the guys shooting the >$5k kits without spending that in mods myself. Everyone's goals can be different of course.
    Worthy goal IMHO.

I wanted sub half inch at 50 yards for under $500 (not counting scope). Think I was under $400.
    Titan stock and GM bbl got me there w SK match (five shots .4" repeatable).
    Bought a used but like new international at good price and dumped the stock, Volq hammer the only internal change,
    Hell I still have the receiver laying around someplace.
    Kinda neat, has a 243 prefix (and I blow up groundhogs w .243 so yeah....

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4