• ...and so much more!
  • DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Personally I'm a big fan of old Mossberg bolt actions. They were reasonably priced when they were new, and can still be had for reasonable prices. All of mine are accurate and they're built like tanks.

SAILORGOLF46

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Feb 14, 2012
    Greenwood
    If you are just kicking cans and having fun and not bulls eye shooting then I suggest an older Ruger 10-22. Every part is available on line as well as enough after market parts to turn it into a star wars gun. And welcome aboard, you will learn alot and laugh alot.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    Personally I'm a big fan of old Mossberg bolt actions. They were reasonably priced when they were new, and can still be had for reasonable prices. All of mine are accurate and they're built like tanks.

^^^This
    I have 3 old Mossberg bolt guns and they are all still tack-drivers.
    One I got for $50, the other two were somewhat more, but I don't think I gave more than $150 for any of them.
    You will not be disappointed if you go this direction.

Seancass

Master
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 12, 2008
    Near Whiteland, IN
    The standard, boring, and correct answer is always Ruger 10/22.

Then it's just a question of why NOT a 10/22:

• No 'soul' in the new plastic-y ones at the store? Find an old Mossberg and see if it lights your fire.

• Your kid thinks it looks boring and doesn't want to shoot with you? Check out the S&W M&P-22 line.

• I would normally sneak in a recommendation for the CZ 22's, but I don't know if there's a current production USA equivalent, so... shop the used rack for a classic? Edit: Ruger American can have a wood stock, it's not bad.

Last edited:

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    I sold a like new 10/22 build, was sub .5" at 50 yards.
    It had the Titan stock, which I liked pretty well (except for grip angle).
    Green Mountain heavy taper 19", which was still pretty heavy.

Good bench gun, but not what I liked for a field rig (heavy hunter).

Ended up buying a CZ455 as a general hunting rifle. Its doable, not perfect though.
    Still have another 10/22, old fingergroove from '70.

Have had Marlins, shot OK.........but none ever felt right.

My next rimfire would be a Sav Anschutz 141 M. Prices have gone stoopid on em though.
    Currently fetch 600 or so, and no they aint worth it.
    I had a reg .22 lr w nice wood and it shot GREAT.

Trigger funky though ( I don't like long take up).
    Dunno if aftermarket avail or have to mod to make the trigger more American.

jwamplerusa

High drag, low speed...
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 21, 2018
    Boone County

^^^ I'll second DoggyDaddy! I have a Mossberg 46B-B 22LR. Far more accurate than I am and just a joy to shoot!

Trogski

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 21, 2020
    New Carlisle
    If you are just kicking cans and having fun and not bulls eye shooting then I suggest an older Ruger 10-22. Every part is available on line as well as enough after market parts to turn it into a star wars gun. And welcome aboard, you will learn alot and laugh alot.

Its kind of a bit of both. Its something id be plinking with every now and again. But the wife likes the .22 rifles and wants one for the anniversary. She is a good shot but more of a target shooter than hunting. But then if its any good id take it out hunting.

TJ Kackowski

Let it begin here.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    133   0   1
    Jun 8, 2012
    Hendricks County
    Its kind of a bit of both. Its something id be plinking with every now and again. But the wife likes the .22 rifles and wants one for the anniversary. She is a good shot but more of a target shooter than hunting. But then if its any good id take it out hunting.
    You will need to buy two rifles if your wife expects to shoot the rifle on a regular basis ... she will not want to rezero the sighting system after you've had the rifle out for a spin. Save yourself a ton of headaches and buy her her own rifle.

If she's a target shooter and wants to test her mettle, CMP Rimfire Sporter is something she should try. They run this competition on a regular basis at the Bedford Contingent Gun Range. One of the regular shooters at Bedford (Rayne) is a recent National Champion in this event. Best part is she truly likes to help other shooters get better.

DeadeyeChrista'sdad

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Feb 28, 2009
    winchester/farmland
    We got Pop's old mossy out a few years ago and I told Christa it was time for her to shoot a big girl gun. She said " What do I shoot?". I told her I used to cut down wildflowers in the field with it. (It was about this time of year.). She tried a couple of times and missed. I suggested she sit down. Instead she flipped down in the grass on her belly and went to work. It was a bad day for the wildflowers, and I've seldom been as proud

Restroyer

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 13, 2015
    SE Indiana
    I know everyone always praises the Ruger 10-22 but I've never owned one so I can't say anything about them.
    The .22LR rifles I use and like are: Marlin 795 (semi-auto with a mag), the Savage Mark II (Bolt action with a mag), the Henry Lever Action .22LR, and the S&W M&P 22 (.22 AR style).

sheepdog697

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Sep 2, 2015
    Cedar Lake
    10-22s are awesome and plenty accurate for a .22. I guess the question is what is your accuracy expectation? Another reason the 10-22 is awesome is that it has huge aftermarket support. I have a volquartsen carbon fiber barrel on mine. It is plenty accruate and a blast to shoot.

marksman1023

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 28, 2019
    Columbus
    if you like building ARs, CMMG sells dedicated 22LR bolts and BCGs that go into a standard AR stripped receiver and will go on a standard AR lower.

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    I know everyone always praises the Ruger 10-22 but I've never owned one so I can't say anything about them.
    The .22LR rifles I use and like are: Marlin 795 (semi-auto with a mag), the Savage Mark II (Bolt action with a mag), the Henry Lever Action .22LR, and the S&W M&P 22 (.22 AR style).
    I have the last three and love all of them. Especially with a suppressor.

Top Bottom