• ...and so much more!
  • ACC

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    134   0   1
    Mar 7, 2012
    N. Side of Indy
    A friend of mine recently purchased a property and has begun setting up a 300 yard rifle range. This is the first time I will have ever had the chance to shoot distances of more than 100 yards.

I have many rifles in .223/5.56, 300 BLK & 7.62x39 and I can probably stretch them out to 300 yards. But I am now using this as an excuse to get more of a long range rifle.

So my first question is...what caliber to go with? 6.5 creedmoor? .308? .224 valkerie?

Once that is determined...what rifle? I prefer semi autos, but might go with a bolt action for this gun. Not wanting to spend a ton of money as this will not be a competition or hunting gun. Just a fun gun to go out and shoot long distance.

Alright, INGO. Any feedback is greatly appreciate as this is new territory for me.

Usmccookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 28, 2017
    nwi
    What size groups are you hoping for?

I really enjoy my savage 10 in .223 rem. It shoots better than i do out the box @$5-600.

That's the best i have personal experience with. Good luck

TJ Kackowski

Let it begin here.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    133   0   1
    Jun 8, 2012
    Hendricks County
    If this truly is just for fun, get a U.S. Rifle, Caliber .30 M1 from the CMP. Using iron sights for 300 yd. shooting is where it's at if fun is what you want. You should be able to hit a man sized target in any position at 300 yds. with an M1.

Tombs

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Martinsville
    There's not many center fire rifle cartridges that are unsuitable for 300 yards.

You can push 9mm out there.

I'd start by asking, what do you have currently that's giving you problems? And have you tried some different loadings to see if maybe that particular loading is just performing poorly for you?

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    Use what you have to learn what you can. Then step up. Everything you listed above is suited for 300 yard paper and steel hits.

Now with that said, we can enable you. Semi's will be more expensive for an entire gun as most "long range" calibers will be on the AR-10 platform. Maybe buy an upper in 6.5 Grendel, put decent glass on it and throw in on a lower you already have.

But the best bang for the buck will be something like the Ruger American, Mossberg Patriot and the like. Caliber? How much do you plan on shooting and do you or will you reload? 6.5 Creedmoor is all the rage. Lower recoil and great BC bullets that will reach out there. The ammo cost is about average like 308, 243, 30-06, etc.

Since it's just a fun gun, cost is really the only limit. You can be doing 300 yards for under $400 easily, including glass with something like this.
    https://www.academy.com/shop/pdp/mossberg-patriot-65-creedmoor-bolt-action-scoped-rifle-combo

And it just goes up from there.

rosejm

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 28, 2013
    NWI
    Since it's just a fun gun, cost is really the only limit. You can be doing 600+ yards for under $400 easily, including glass with something like this.
    https://www.academy.com/shop/pdp/mossberg-patriot-65-creedmoor-bolt-action-scoped-rifle-combo

FTFY
    Though the difference between the two will be behind the rifle w/ an accurate DOPE card

Shoot what ya' got. Unless it's <2000 fps, you're not going to have any trouble that you wouldn't have at 200y.
    Even rifle caliber pistols with iron sights can make hits @ 300y

Sniper 79

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Oct 7, 2012
    I would use what you have for sure. Spend your money on ammo and get into hand loading if you're not already.

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    Short range is anything out to 300 yards. Any AR or bolt gun or any rifle with a 9 or faster twist will work with 69 or 75BTHP bullets will be accurate. Shoot prone with a rifleman's sling and learn how to be a rifleman.

Usmccookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 28, 2017
    nwi
    Use what you have to learn what you can. Then step up. Everything you listed above is suited for 300 yard paper and steel hits.

Now with that said, we can enable you. Semi's will be more expensive for an entire gun as most "long range" calibers will be on the AR-10 platform. Maybe buy an upper in 6.5 Grendel, put decent glass on it and throw in on a lower you already have.

But the best bang for the buck will be something like the Ruger American, Mossberg Patriot and the like. Caliber? How much do you plan on shooting and do you or will you reload? 6.5 Creedmoor is all the rage. Lower recoil and great BC bullets that will reach out there. The ammo cost is about average like 308, 243, 30-06, etc.

Since it's just a fun gun, cost is really the only limit. You can be doing 300 yards for under $400 easily, including glass with something like this.

Did you have to post that link??? I didn't realize you could get into 6.5cm that economically...

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    Did you have to post that link??? I didn't realize you could get into 6.5cm that economically...

I have that same rifle in .30-06.
    It will do 300 yards standing on it's head. Me, not so much...

Those Mossberg Patriots are quite nice rifles for the price.

Now, to the O.P.
    It's been stated before upthread. Use what you have, then figure out what you'd like.
    In Marine Corps boot camp we had to qualify with the M16 (AR15) at 500 yards.
    Three hundred yards is easily doable with the 5.56/.223 if all you're doing is punching holes.

indyjohn

PATRIOT
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    78   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    In the trees
    Short range is anything out to 300 yards. Any AR or bolt gun or any rifle with a 9 or faster twist will work with 69 or 75BTHP bullets will be accurate. Shoot prone with a rifleman's sling and learn how to be a rifleman.

Learning to be a Rifleman is a lost art my friend.

[video=youtube_share;mrkp025iKr0]https://youtu.be/mrkp025iKr0[/video]

Except for those nutty Highpower guys that shoot out to 600 yds (& sometimes 1000 yds).

Atterbury-Sept2014b.jpg

Tombs

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Martinsville
    Except for those nutty Highpower guys that shoot out to 600 yds (& sometimes 1000 yds).

I'd love to be able to go past 300, but there's no where locally to safely do so. With some rifles it feels a bit underwhelming to be that close.

cAzVXup.jpg

The steel is to the right of the reticle.

mcapo

aka Bandit
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 19, 2016
    East of Hoosier45 - West of T-dogg
    There are 100's of different caliber and rifle cartridges that will meet your needs.

6.5 creedmoor is the flavor of the day with lots of match ammo available. Would be the caliber I would suggest starting with then deciding on what your appetite is for ammo cost, recoil, etc and adjust up or down from 6.5 creedmoor - or choose that caliber. 223, 6.5 grendel, 308, 30-06 and on and on.

I'd suggest a bolt action rifle. Again, tons of options.

Personally, I like the Howa based action for a less than $600 option: https://www.budsgunshop.com/product...nthetic+bolt+65-300+weatherby+magnum+26+3+1+s

Savage has great lower priced options, Thompson, Ruger American, Mossberg Patriot. Again, lots of options and many bolt actions guns that have sub moa guarantees.

If your idea of "budget" is a bit more, I start with a CZ: https://www.budsgunshop.com/product...+65+grendel+24+5+1+turkish+walnut+stock+black

but again, other great options exist. Begara, Ruger 77, Tika, Savage 10/110, etc.

I have this rifle (basically) in 6.5 creedmoor that will easily shoot 1/2 moa with factory match ammo: https://www.budsgunshop.com/product...+rifle+bolt+65+crd+22+5+1+synthetic+hs+precis

If your idea of budget exceeds $1000 - then you are gonna get a really nice rifle!

Contact AAoptics and get set up with a good Vortex scope that'll meet your budget and needs.

Top Bottom