• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • indykid

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2008
    Westfield
    One of the best of the AKM variants you can buy. The Chinese trigger has arguably the best feel of any factory trigger. The Chinese used a thicker metal in their receiver.

For a reasonable price these days which is anything under $1000 if the rifle is in excellent condition, I would not hesitate to purchase.

The above is for the normally found stamped receiver version obviously. If a milled version an even nicer one to have.

IUKalash429

Bullet Hose
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Apr 6, 2019
    Rum Ham
    Solid all-around rifles. $650-$1000 depending on condition, accessories, and where you buy (more expensive on GB due to seller fees, shipping, transfers; cheaper in private FTF deals on Armslist and local forums) Straight-backed receivers are more desirable than slant/angle-cut receivers. These sporters were neutered - generally missing bayonet lugs, featuring welded muzzle caps or turned downed threads (or never threaded at all), and with thumbhole stock/grip combos which some find atrocious (myself included). If you want to replace the furniture with a standard AK fixed stock and pistol grip, you'll have more options with a straight receiver. Also of note - surplus Chinese stocks are hard to find and quite expensive. Expect to spend a few hundred dollars on a Chinese stock, pistol grip, and hardware. Cheaper standard combloc stocks can be made to fit with some sanding due to the thicker receiver. Ironwood Designs also makes excellent copies for the MAK series of guns.

This is not gospel, but one way to gauge whether you have a a straight or slant receiver without removing the thumbhole stock is to look for the Norinco star logo on the left side of the receiver in front of the trigger pin. It seems the majority of straight receivers feature this logo, while it seems to be lacking on a lot of slant receivers.

I'm with Trigger Time on this ... I wouldn't spend more than $750 and that's if I was in the market for one, which I am not.

LarryC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 18, 2012
    Frankfort
    I purchased a Mak 90 a few years ago from local lad for as I remember around $350.00. He said it had not been fired and after disassembly I believe it. I changed the stock and parts to make it 922(R) compliant and also added a POSP Russian Scope with quick mount. I saved all the original parts as they are somewhat collectable. The only non reversible alteration is that I had to drill and tap one hole to mount the scope. Ended up with optics and part changes with about $1500 in it - don't know if anyone would pay that but don't intend to sell anyhow!

Sgt7330

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 25, 2011
    Rush Co.
    If U can find one at reasonable today’s price it is a good one to have. Back in the day everyone said they were junk, but here we are 30 years later and seeing the mak-90 is a durable, solid AKM

indykid

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2008
    Westfield
    If U can find one at reasonable today’s price it is a good one to have. Back in the day everyone said they were junk, but here we are 30 years later and seeing the mak-90 is a durable, solid AKM

I think the reason they were perceived as junk is that we had just finished a major bloodbath in which enemy combatants were using that commie weapon. Fresh off of Vietnam the AK/AKM variants were a hard sale because nobody wanted "that commie rifle". Like you said, it wasn't until years later that many realized the high quality of the Chinese commercial variants. Unfortunately it was just in time for a combined republican and democrat presidents to first ban them by looks, and then by name. So much for shall not be infringed!

Okimar

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 9, 2020
    Tampa
    For about the same price, you would be better off buying a newly manufacturered VZ-58 by Czech Small Arms. (CSA) They are far more accurate than any AK-47. t(Up to 10x the distance with the same round and more reliable)

IUKalash429

Bullet Hose
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Apr 6, 2019
    Rum Ham
    For about the same price, you would be better off buying a newly manufacturered VZ-58 by Czech Small Arms. (CSA)

A solid gun for sure, but probably not the best choice for many AK fans since VZ-58 mags are proprietary and do not fit AKs, and vice versa. Same goes for VZ furniture and most aftermarket accessories, which are not interchangeable with AKs.

They are far more accurate than any AK-47. t(Up to 10x the distance with the same round and more reliable)

Also, this one piqued my interest. That's a pretty bold claim and I'd argue many AK models hold their own or best the VZ-58 in accuracy, especially fellow milled receiver guns. Same goes for reliability, at least regarding factory imports - not mixmaster Century abominations. And hitting steel at 300 yards with the irons on my lowly WASR-10 is no problem ... can't imagine I'd be able to do that at 3,000 yards with a VZ-58 (though I'd certainly love to have that much land to try).

Ricnzak

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Nov 15, 2008
    Noblesville
    For about the same price, you would be better off buying a newly manufacturered VZ-58 by Czech Small Arms. (CSA) They are far more accurate than any AK-47. t(Up to 10x the distance with the same round and more reliable)

This is so full of fail.

Last edited:

Clay Pigeon

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Aug 3, 2016
    Summitville
    A solid gun for sure, but probably not the best choice for many AK fans since VZ-58 mags are proprietary and do not fit AKs, and vice versa. Same goes for VZ furniture and most aftermarket accessories, which are not interchangeable with AKs.

Also, this one piqued my interest. That's a pretty bold claim and I'd argue many AK models hold their own or best the VZ-58 in accuracy, especially fellow milled receiver guns. Same goes for reliability, at least regarding factory imports - not mixmaster Century abominations. And hitting steel at 300 yards with the irons on my lowly WASR-10 is no problem ... can't imagine I'd be able to do that at 3,000 yards with a VZ-58 (though I'd certainly love to have that much land to try).

And now my interest is piqued, what size steel are you killing with no problem at 300 yards with your WASR? 7.62x39?

Clay Pigeon

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Aug 3, 2016
    Summitville

Are you sure you understand the ballistics and reasoning for the germans to design the 7.62X39 round? And then why the Russians used it in the SKS.

IUKalash429

Bullet Hose
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Apr 6, 2019
    Rum Ham
    And now my interest is piqued, what size steel are you killing with no problem at 300 yards with your WASR? 7.62x39?

It was pretty big ... I want to say 16" or 18". It belonged to the gun club so I never measured, but would walk out there to spray paint it before shooting sessions and remember it was wider than a foot.

And yes, not a problem with good old fashioned match grade 20 cent-per-round Wolf or GT steel cased 7.62x39...

Clay Pigeon

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Aug 3, 2016
    Summitville
    It was pretty big ... I want to say 16" or 18". It belonged to the gun club so I never measured, but would walk out there to spray paint it before shooting sessions and remember it was wider than a foot.

And yes, not a problem with good old fashioned match grade 20 cent-per-round Wolf or GT steel cased 7.62x39...

I would like to see that being done, 7.62x39 is a 4moa round and with 300 yds being its maxium designed range and after 200 yards its falling like wet towel.
    Add the AK's rudimentry sights with its anemicly underpowdered inaccurate 39 cartridge and its lucky to hit a platoon much less a man at medium ranges.

Top Bottom