• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • E7Wrangler

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 21, 2016
    Central
    Once the panic is over and gun/ammo prices return to more normal levels (hopefully) I am considering a larger caliber upper to add to my existing AR-15. I currently have a complete gun with a .223 Wylde chamber for defense, play, competition. Even with quality ammo, IMHO, the .223/5.56 is to light for hog/deer sized game hunting. So I seek the wisdom of Ingo. What caliber upper would you advise for use with a standard AR-15 lower to take hog/deer sized game and provide a, just for fun not serious competition, longer range rifle.

I am not in the market for a whole new platform (AR-10, SCAR, etc.) just a new reasonably priced upper. Budget is DEFINITELY a consideration. Cost and availability of ammo and magazines are a consideration as well.

I have been researching the 6.5 Grendel and looked a little at the 6.8 SPC but am open to suggestions within the parameters I mentioned and am happy to answer questions.

I await your wisdom (not being sarcastic, I am seriously interested in your thoughts and comments. Even the smart a$$ ones).

drm-hp

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 23, 2019
    Brownsburg
    There are several versions of the 5.56 x 45 (223 Rem.) necked to 6mm to choose from.
    The 6.5mm Grendel is a terrific cartridge, as is the same case in .257. Another thought would be 450 Bushmaster. All of these will kill deer cleanly, although I have no experience with hogs.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    I have a Franken15 in 6.5 Grendel. I built it with multiple parts from multiple companies. My barrel is actually a Bear Creek Arsenal 20" 6.5 Grendel II barrel. When I do my part with my reloaded 123gr SST it will shoot .438" 5 shot groups at 100yds. That's my smallest it usually avg around .75" 5 shot groups. I also built my nephew a 7.62x39 rifle and used a BCA 16" barrel it shoots moa with Golden Tiger HP.

That said I wonder if just buying a BCA complete upper will produce the same results? Both barrels were excellent for both of the rifles i built.

Sling10mm

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 12, 2012
    I really like the 6.8mm SPC, and have used mine to take deer, but either would serve you well I think depending on what you consider long range. My understanding is that the 6.5 G has better BC bullets, and will start outperforming the 6.8 at longer ranges.

In your case I would just evaluate your use versus cost and availability of components. Honestly, I stocked up on 6.8mm brass and bullets and haven't really kept up with availability, so it may be that one has overtaken the other, which may factor into your decision as well.

1nderbeard

Master
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    39   0   0
    Apr 3, 2017
    Hendricks County
    I have a Franken15 in 6.5 Grendel. I built it with multiple parts from multiple companies. My barrel is actually a Bear Creek Arsenal 20" 6.5 Grendel II barrel. .

I basically did the same thing. Used an Anderson receiver and mostly cheap parts with the same barrel. Found it to be very accurate also. Around 1 inch at 100 yds, and able to consistently hit targets at 200. Didn't have a chance to shoot a deer with it this year, but I think it would be up to the job.

TWEAKD4

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 31, 2012
    NE Indiana
    Another possibility that was just SAAMI approved this year is the 300 HAM'R. It was development by Bill Wilson for Texas hog hunting.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    I basically did the same thing. Used an Anderson receiver and mostly cheap parts with the same barrel. Found it to be very accurate also. Around 1 inch at 100 yds, and able to consistently hit targets at 200. Didn't have a chance to shoot a deer with it this year, but I think it would be up to the job.

I mainly use it for target practice, coyote and deer. I plan on getting a 7.62x39 and maybe a 350 legend upper built as well. Can never have to much variety. The more the better.

LarryC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 18, 2012
    Frankfort
    Once the panic is over and gun/ammo prices return to more normal levels (hopefully) I am considering a larger caliber upper to add to my existing AR-15. I currently have a complete gun with a .223 Wylde chamber for defense, play, competition. Even with quality ammo, IMHO, the .223/5.56 is to light for hog/deer sized game hunting. So I seek the wisdom of Ingo. What caliber upper would you advise for use with a standard AR-15 lower to take hog/deer sized game and provide a, just for fun not serious competition, longer range rifle. I am not in the market for a whole new platform (AR-10, SCAR, etc.) just a new reasonably priced upper. Budget is DEFINITELY a consideration. Cost and availability of ammo and magazines are a consideration as well. I have been researching the 6.5 Grendel and looked a little at the 6.8 SPC but am open to suggestions within the parameters I mentioned and am happy to answer questions.

I await your wisdom (not being sarcastic, I am seriously interested in your thoughts and comments. Even the smart a$$ ones).

My son and I have assembled 3 Grendel AR's in the last year. Due to my wife's health issues I have not been able to shoot mine yet.

However my son has done quite a bit of targeting at his home range with his, and the one I gifted to my DIL has also been shot some. She is pretty proud that she just killed a Ground hog about two weeks ago with hers! Think it was a 50 -60 yard shot.

I installed Vortex scopes on all three - all were assembled with Bear Creek uppers. Son only has a 60 yard or so range max but thinks his is around 1 or 1 1/2 moa with the cheap Wolf ammo. The availability of cheap plinking ammo is another reason for those on a budget as the cartridge cost is around $.30 - $.35 / round. If I were a serious target shooter (which I'm not) there are many great rounds at much higher cost for long range shooting.

We have assembled several AR's with BC uppers and/or barrels and all appear to be under 1 MOA with good ammo. Not trying to tell anyone they are the best but for the low cost all have been trouble free and plenty accurate for our use. I have an LR .308 I assembled with a DPMS upper - cost with optics was almost what I have in 3 of the AR's. I don't know what the BC AR' s would do in a SHTF situation but I have several other firearms I would be turning to before an AR-15, like my Garands, SVD, AK & SKS's, and Mauser's etc. for that purpose!

Last edited:

1nderbeard

Master
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    39   0   0
    Apr 3, 2017
    Hendricks County
    I mainly use it for target practice, coyote and deer. I plan on getting a 7.62x39 and maybe a 350 legend upper built as well. Can never have to much variety. The more the better.

I have the same rifle in 7.62x39. Not shot it a ton but I've found it to be similarly accurate. I was going to do 350 legend, but decided against it because the cartridge was so new. If IN goes back to non-high powered rifle hunting it will be on the top of my list.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    I have the same rifle in 7.62x39. Not shot it a ton but I've found it to be similarly accurate. I was going to do 350 legend, but decided against it because the cartridge was so new. If IN goes back to non-high powered rifle hunting it will be on the top of my list.

450 Bushmaster looks appealing also :ar15:

E7Wrangler

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 21, 2016
    Central
    Thank you all for the thoughts. I was especially interested to hear the report on Bear Creek Armory. Someone else told me about them. Their prices are great but their reviews are mixed so glad to hear you have had good luck with them. They are a lot cheaper than most.

My research say get and 18-24" barrel for hunting with the 6.5 Grendel, which is my intended use. I really want to take it hog hunting in Texas or Oklahoma.

I have read about the 350 Legend and 300 Hammr but like some of you I am going to let those see a little more use before I bite on an expensive new caliber.

Hohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    USA
    What are you wanting this larger caliber upper to do? Hunt? If so, what game? Out to what distance?

You are pretty limited in getting more actual performance from an AR because of the mag length and size limitations. A 6.8spc or 6.5G is about the biggest reasonable step up that doesnt' involve turning your mags into single stacks with half capacity or so.

I'm partial to the 6.5G because it has better brass available and better bullet selection.

Even out of a AR pistol, and 6.5G is a good performer. In fact, a 6.5G on a 12.5" bbl will outperform 7.62x39 fired from a standard AK.

Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo
    What are you wanting this larger caliber upper to do? Hunt? If so, what game? Out to what distance?

You are pretty limited in getting more actual performance from an AR because of the mag length and size limitations. A 6.8spc or 6.5G is about the biggest reasonable step up that doesnt' involve turning your mags into single stacks with half capacity or so.

I'm partial to the 6.5G because it has better brass available and better bullet selection.

Even out of a AR pistol, and 6.5G is a good performer. In fact, a 6.5G on a 12.5" bbl will outperform 7.62x39 fired from a standard AK.

I really want to take it hog hunting in Texas or Oklahoma.

6.5 Grendel has no problem dropping hogs. Google carpe sus and you'll find a guy that drops lots of hogs using 90 grain TNT. They are on the cheaper side, but very effective. I use them for coyotes. I shot one that was facing me the other night at 80 yards. The bullet entered his chest cavity and didn't exit. He didn't even twitch. When I picked him up, it sounded like a bucket of water sloshing around.
    If you're using a suppressor, go 18 inches.

Last edited:
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Oct 3, 2008
    On a hill in Perry C
    6.5 Grendel has no problem dropping hogs. Google carpe sus and you'll find a guy that drops lots of hogs using 90 grain TNT. They are on the cheaper side, but very effective. I use them for coyotes. I shot one that was facing me the other night at 80 yards. The bullet entered his chest cavity and didn't exit. He didn't even twitch. When I picked him up, it sounded like a bucket of water sloshing around.
    If you're using a suppressor, go 18 inches.

:):

Ggreen

Person
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Sep 19, 2016
    SouthEast
    I had been lusting after a grendel shorty for a long time. Eventually picked up about the perfect grendel in a trade.

13.7 pinned and welded with work a keymo hider. I've had it out to 200 with wolf steel ammo with no problems punishing a 6"gong. The performance out of shorter barrels really makes it as close to the perfect ar round as you can get currently. You suffer some capacity, but make up for it in energy.

IndianaDave

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 8, 2011
    I've had 6.8 SPC for about 10 years. There's a 6.8 forum that's pretty helpful, a guy there makes really high quality melonited barrels for about $200. There's a lot of ammo choices
    for it now. I haven't been out hunting but they seem to use it effectively on deer and hogs. Probably would have gotten a Grendel if I hadn't gone 6.8. It would do better at longer
    ranges with a longer barrel to get bullet speed up. 7.69 x 39 seems really interesting because you can use cheap Russian ammo, both the 6.8 and Grendel use the high-priced stuff unless you can reload. I think the main problem with 7.69 is bolt breakage because the width of the rim doesn't leave much room for strong lugs. Just my thoughts, no fanboy on any choice.

Top Bottom