• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Fargo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    In a state of acute Pork-i-docis
    Let's say some hypothetical individual wished to shoot starlings out to about 20y through an open window and was hypothetically willing to spend up to maybe $150-ish, but less is fine as well.

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1022505576?pid=749306 Would this be a good option? What else is out there? I'd rather go with spring or pump then cartridges.

My experience with the break barrels of that class is that they work fine, but are really sensitive to pellet selection. Some pellets will shoot 6 inch patterns, and others will shoot under an inch at 40 yards. Just have to figure out which one it likes, I have generally found pellets made by the same manufacturer of the gun is a good place to start.

indyjohn

PATRIOT
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    77   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    In the trees
    About 10 years ago I bought my eldest a Gamo 640 Carbine. We have run their brand of pellets through it and have been very pleased with the groups it produced. The 640 isn't made anymore but this is the current generation of that line: https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1725145230?pid=627062 Plus Gamo has a respectable company history.

Edit: Not to say Crossman doesn't, just giving you something different to look at.

Last edited:

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Let's say some hypothetical individual wished to shoot starlings out to about 20y through an open window and was hypothetically willing to spend up to maybe $150-ish, but less is fine as well.

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1022505576?pid=749306 Would this be a good option? What else is out there? I'd rather go with spring or pump then cartridges.

I have a Gamo break barrel that puts a hurt on Varmints. It does make a fairly loud "CRACK" when you send one.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Hundreds of dead critters with my Gamo Shadow 1000, sporting a BSA 2-7. Lots and lots of starlings and chipmunks out to 40 yards.

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 5, 2008
    Terre Haute
    I have played this game before. I finally ended up with a .22lr garden gun, basically a .22 caliber shotgun - no rifling. I have found the Federal .22lr shot shells to work the best, the ones with the crimped brass ends. The CCI shot in the blue cup doesn't pattern as well from a garden gun. The one I have has a 16" barrel, and makes about the same amount of noise a good air gun makes. I can take chipmunks out to 25 yds. Or you could go big, and get a Chiappa Little Badger Deluxe in 9mm Flobert, https://www.chiappafirearms.com/product.php?id=186 . I have one. The ammo is unique, and it makes more noise.

Top rifle is a Stevens Little Scout, inherited from an uncle, smooth bore, no serial number. Bottom one is the Chiappa.

Attachments

• rimfire shottys.jpg
      rimfire shottys.jpg
      993 KB · Views: 20

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    Pcp is the way to go. Over your budget though. Some are almost completely silent. My Benjamin Marauder is way fun to shoot.

Break barrel is going to give you the most power for the money, but optics for them can be tricky if you are going that route. They will eat cheap scopes.

freekforge

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 20, 2012
    marion
    I have a Benjamin Titan np in .22 that I pop starlings with. Get them in the neck and it's game over. I even got one while in flight the other day...pure luck no skill involved. The one you list will work just fine. I've killed them with a red rider. Also killed some with a cold steel blowgun

Side note everyone says they are disgusting but I cook starling breasts in butter with minced garlic and crushed red pepper and it's pretty good.

patience0830

.22 magician
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 96.6%
    28   1   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Not far from the tree
    I have a Benjamin Titan np in .22 that I pop starlings with. Get them in the neck and it's game over. I even got one while in flight the other day...pure luck no skill involved. The one you list will work just fine. I've killed them with a red rider. Also killed some with a cold steel blowgun

Side note everyone says they are disgusting but I cook starling breasts in butter with minced garlic and crushed red pepper and it's pretty good.

FF, I usually get 'em with the .17 hmr and it's hard to find a piece that's worth saving.

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    I have a Norinco side cocker in 22 cal that is pretty dang accurate too, even with iron sights. That is what I used to get this mouse at 20 feet.
    (Watch close, it happens fast)

[video=youtube_share;LpymMdEf6Rg]http://youtu.be/LpymMdEf6Rg[/video]

Jaybird1980

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    North Central
    Recently bought my daughter a Crosman Fire Nitro Piston for $100. The thing is a really smooth shooter, not like a Springer at all. I got an asst. of pellets to try and it likes a heavier pellet.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area

My people did something similar when we were kids. Pop starlings all day and they would have a mess of them for a side at dinner.
    Probably one of the many reasons I no longer eat game.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy

My people did something similar when we were kids. Pop starlings all day and they would have a mess of them for a side at dinner.
    Probably one of the many reasons I no longer eat game.

Reminds me of this :)::

Sing a song of sixpence
    A pocket full of rye.
    Four and twenty blackbirds
    Baked in a pie.
    When the pie was opened
    The birds began to sing.
    Wasn't that a dainty dish
    To set before the king?

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Reminds me of this :)::

Sing a song of sixpence
    A pocket full of rye.
    Four and twenty blackbirds
    Baked in a pie.
    When the pie was opened
    The birds began to sing.
    Wasn't that a dainty dish
    To set before the king?

Thanks. Now I have that running in my head.....:_):

My people were not chefs beyond salt and pepper. Nothing anywhere near cool cooking they were of the depression so if you had something on your plate shut up. Be thankful. And you best eat it all. Period. Hard people.

Top Bottom