• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • diveski11

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 14, 2016
    Indianapolis
    I was introduced to sporting clays recently and want to get recommendations for a shotgun that has a shorter length of pull for a 5' 2" "mature adult" female and definitely not a skinny minnie. If I recall, LOP on my rifles for target shooting are approx. 12.5" LOP. From the guns we briefly looked at in the shop it seems I will probably need to build up a higher cheek comb and might also need a bit of cast. Arthritis and Fibromyalgia are my biggest physical limitations so I also need to find a balance between weight and felt recoil.

We plan to go back and spend more time with the sales staff since it was pretty busy yesterday. I understand that I can also shoot some of their used guns, if any seem close to being a good fit.

While I am a true beginner at this we aren't afraid to spend a little to get a well fitting gun, but it would be silly at this phase to get very spendy. I'm never going to be a serious competitor. This is going to be another fun form of hobby shooting for me. I'd like to do some research before getting overwhelmed when working with the pro shop staff.

CampingJosh

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 16, 2010
    The best recommendation I can give is to head up to Indiana Gun Club. They will show you what you need, and they will make sure that you find something that fits you perfectly. And they have a lot of options in stock.

https://indianagunclub.com/

Matthews

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 14, 2019
    Dyer
    Ill chime in that there are a lot of youth models available if a shorter LOP is needed. That or find a shotgun she likes and see if a shorter stock with the specified comb is available for purchase and switch it out.

Tombs

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Martinsville
    If it's a remmy or a mossberg, take a look at the hogue short stock.

If it's a benelli, look at the mesa 12" LOP stock.

While not getting into cast or comb height, that's an easy to find option you can order to your door and install yourself. Someone may make shims to change the cast, at least.

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Look at the Browning Citori CXS Micro adjustable. These are designed for shooters who need a shorter LOP and the grip radius on the stock is reduced to allow better finger placement on the trigger. The CXS line is designed for sporting clays shooting and has some features specifically found on higher end target guns such as a slight palm swell in the grip and a trigger that can be adjusted to fine tune LOP as well as the trigger shoe can be replace with 3 different styles.

If you buy something that needs an adjustable comb or butt plate added, google Tronspace gunworks (Joe has an incredible reputation and has quick turn around time). Also if you decide you need to adjust cast, Kickeez sells shims that have to be sanded to fit.
    And, if you just need to add a little comb height a couple inexpensive options are Cheekeez pads or a comb pad from Midwest Industries.

My daughter has been looking for a new clays gun and she 5' 1" so we will probably be hitting the gun club this week.
    I recently bough a CX which is basically the same gun except it has a little taller rib which is beneficial for trap shooting since the targets in trap are always rising. A sporting clays gun usually has more of a field type rib height so it shoots flatter for the simulated hunting scenarios the targets present. Either way in clays games 12g rules. A 20g tends to not be as good for longer distance shots, but are fine for closer shooting..but honestly there's not as much recoil difference between the two as many people think.

Last edited:

autogun

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 30, 2016
    NWI
    You should look at beretta semi autos. The gas action will dissipate some recoil and stretch out the recoil impulse. They also use shims to raise and lower comb height and provide cast on or cast off. You will need a longer length of pull for a shotgun vs a rifle.

IsThatLegal?

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 11, 2017
    Whitestown
    I would also suggest heading to The Indiana Gun Club. They are quite knowledgeable and have a wide selection. And I would also suggest looking at Beretta semiauto shotguns. My better half likes shooting hers in terms of reliabikity and softer recoil.

diveski11

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 14, 2016
    Indianapolis
    Thanks everyone!

I did my first, very much unplanned, quick look at shotguns at IN Gun Club last week after our intro session there. I was unprepared and overwhelmed with terminology and not knowing what I should be able to see/feel. After a bit of self-education from the innerwebs we went back on Friday when they weren't busy. After looking at just 3 or 4 options I walked out with something I hadn't even considered. I ended up with a nice semi-auto 12 ga intended for ladies. It is a little bit lighter and has a smaller grip than the "unisex" (aka 5'10" men). Turns out I really don't need adjustable cheek riser or stock. Might add a bit of cast once I practice a bit.

Saturday we were there before doors officially opened to try our hand at sporting clays. We were telling the first pair also arriving at Stage 1 to go ahead of us as we got ourselves sorted out. Instead, they very graciously offered to let us join them and they would mentor us a bit. That was awesome for many reasons. We had long-time enthusiasts making sure we were safe and they didn't let us learn bad habits right off the bat. And, we now know two more friendly people there. The shop dog already loves us :) Pew pew time is great mental therapy but when coupled with interacting with other like-minded humans and a new activity it is priceless. And bonus: I actually broke a few pigeons! I have to practice something very different than rifle target shooting where moving while shooting doesn't cut it. We will take lessons and hope to get out there often.

rosejm

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 28, 2013
    NWI
    HOORAY! :rockwoot:

Glad you found something that fit up well AND you had a great time out there.
    (I can't say much about all the lingo, but IMO that's for folks who do this a LOT more often than we do :ar15:)

It's a very different skill set to be sure. Not like "OOoo, shooting a pistol isn't the same a shooting a rifle..."
    More like golf clubs & baseball bats: sure they're both swung with 2 hands at round, white balls but that's not the meat of it, is it?

Practice will help change the aiming/firing mindset, though I always have some fouling to clear each time I switch.

Sporting Clays is a wonderful way to enjoy this part of the sport, but can be difficult to jump right into! I love the different types of shots/setups and some of them are near on impossible for my slowness.
    Getting a feel for speed/distance and the necessary lead will take some experimentation/experience, but I have confidence an afternoon or two at the range or a quality mobile thrower will get some of that muscle memory built up pretty quickly.

ProTip (from a friend):
    BEFORE calling "pull", ALWAYS be sure:

1. round(s) CHAMBERED + tube/mag LOADED
    2. safety OFF
    3. eyes DOWNRANGE

(you scoff now...)

And if you thought folks had money in their rifle setups, oof. :spend:
    Even if some of those O/Us are really more akin to watches, that's some high-society there.

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Thanks everyone!

I did my first, very much unplanned, quick look at shotguns at IN Gun Club last week after our intro session there. I was unprepared and overwhelmed with terminology and not knowing what I should be able to see/feel. After a bit of self-education from the innerwebs we went back on Friday when they weren't busy. After looking at just 3 or 4 options I walked out with something I hadn't even considered. I ended up with a nice semi-auto 12 ga intended for ladies. It is a little bit lighter and has a smaller grip than the "unisex" (aka 5'10" men). Turns out I really don't need adjustable cheek riser or stock. Might add a bit of cast once I practice a bit.

Saturday we were there before doors officially opened to try our hand at sporting clays. We were telling the first pair also arriving at Stage 1 to go ahead of us as we got ourselves sorted out. Instead, they very graciously offered to let us join them and they would mentor us a bit. That was awesome for many reasons. We had long-time enthusiasts making sure we were safe and they didn't let us learn bad habits right off the bat. And, we now know two more friendly people there. The shop dog already loves us :) Pew pew time is great mental therapy but when coupled with interacting with other like-minded humans and a new activity it is priceless. And bonus: I actually broke a few pigeons! I have to practice something very different than rifle target shooting where moving while shooting doesn't cut it. We will take lessons and hope to get out there often.

Glad you found a gun that fits and that you are enjoying breaking clays.
    Have fun and remeber...break 'em all

Top Bottom