• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • FN USA

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 90.9%
    10   1   0
    Jul 25, 2011
    Sellersburg
    I've had a Rock River Arms Elite Operator LH for years now. I love the rifle but have come to the realization that the 16" bull barrel is much too heavy. I want to switch it out for something similar thats lighter weight. Anyone have good suggestions? I'm not trying to make a featherweight rifle here or spend $300+.

FN USA

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 90.9%
    10   1   0
    Jul 25, 2011
    Sellersburg
    Any company's you'd suggest for barrels? I currently get 1" MOA at 100 yards and would like to stay with a company that gets 1.25" or better. Pencil profile seems too light for my coyote gun

Shower thought, can I send my barrel to someone to flute it? Does anyone know a company that performs this service?

Last edited:

bcannon

QC Dept aka Picky F'er
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    55   0   0
    Apr 13, 2012
    Boiler Country
    I would go with a Faxon. I have one on a AR10 and it holds moa. I havent tried one on a small frame AR but they do get good reviews from what Ive read.

bcannon

QC Dept aka Picky F'er
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    55   0   0
    Apr 13, 2012
    Boiler Country
    Any company's you'd suggest for barrels? I currently get 1" MOA at 100 yards and would like to stay with a company that gets 1.25" or better. Pencil profile seems too light for my coyote gun

Shower thought, can I send my barrel to someone to flute it? Does anyone know a company that performs this service?

Zack at ZR Tactical in Noblesville. He does awesome cnc work.

masterdekoy

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Feb 12, 2013
    Columbus
    I have one of the faxon gunner profile barrels in 14.5 length and feel it’s a great compromise for a do all rifle. Beefy where it needs to be and lightweight out front. I can’t say it shoots 1” groups but I mostly shoot bulk ammo through it, never shot match ammo for groups. It’s well gassed and I like it, would get another if I had a reason.

For another option, Criterion just released a new profile, their “Core” line. Similar tapered profile to the faxon gunner and criterion has a reputation for accuracy. Also chrome lined for durability. https://criterionbarrels.com/product-tag/criterion-core-series/

ws6duramax

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Nov 21, 2011
    Metamora
    I'm a fan of Rock River stuff . I have several bull barrel setups for prairie dogs and the Advance Tactical Hunter (ATH) for coyotes . The ATH is what I call a medium contour barrel . It's stainless , so it's not exactly light , but not to bad . I like a little weight , it seems to be a little more stable for me . I've never shot their pencil barrel setups , but I would venture to say they're pretty good as well .

All of mine are shooters . As long as I keep in practice and do my part , they are pretty consistent at about .700-.800 MOA with factory rounds .

Sniper 79

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Oct 7, 2012
    Faxon or PSA would be my first shopping spots

If it's a hunting rig go pencil. I also ditched my bull 16" for a heavy profile and wish I went lighter. Sold it as well and assembled a 10" "pistol".

14" pencil gun with light weight accessories would be nice.

IndianaDave

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 8, 2011
    There's a company called AR Performance that makes really high quality barrels for under $300. He melonites them so they have a long life and actually slightly higher bullet speed.

Merk

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 22, 2015
    Jasper
    Not sure what hand guard you have currently, but there is some potential for savings there as well. A pencil or light weight profile barrel will net your the biggest gain.

Usmccookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 28, 2017
    nwi
    I was turned onto b.a. for a high end build. Initially i was looking at Christiansen and bsf. While the difference is real, for <$200 the ballistic advantage hansen break was going to out last and out shot me, or so i was told. I was told correctly. So far at least, about 5k rounds

FN USA

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 90.9%
    10   1   0
    Jul 25, 2011
    Sellersburg
    Thanks all, I currently have a Midwest Industries 13" keymod handguard. I love the setup, but am not a fan of the weight. For just plinking it perfect, however I set this up to be my coyote gun and 1st time out I realized I wanted to go lighter. I'm looking for a different profile barrel, I think I want to stay away from pencil as I still do go out plinking with this rifle as well. Its carrying a Primary Arms 1-6x optic so I think optic and rail would stay the same. Thanks for all the suggestions so far. I've been checking up on all the links you guys have been posting.

Hohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    USA
    Check out the new Criterion Core series. Smartest AR barrel profile around. Excellent quality and under $300.

Top Bottom