• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    383M in FMS revenue on table for M16A4 contracts out of Iraq, Afghanistan, Lebanon, and Nepal between FN America and Colt.

FN_M16A4_Rotators_1-1800x750-660x348.jpg

https://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog...n-military-sales-contracts-worth-380-million/

Alamo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 4, 2010
    Texas
    I did some searching around to find out exactly what was in this contract. The original solicitation where the requirements are laid out was online for awhile, but seems to have disappeared while I was perusing it. Oh well.

What I did find out was:

Five order contract, each order is basically a year. One or two contractors could be chosen for award, so there are actually two contracts. I believe three competed.

Each contractor had to provide a "ceiling price" for each order. Not sure if that was by item, or a general ceiling on the entire order. Each contractor will compete for each order (each year), and provide his best price not exceeding the ceiling he already agreed to. The ceiling keeps the contractor from running wild with the price after he gets the contract locked in. I didn't find it before the solicitation disappeared, but generally each order would be for so many rifles, plus accessories like slings, cleaning kits, lubricant, etc.

FN was awarded a contract valued at $166,080,417

Colt was awarded a contract valued at $217,231,524

The two award amounts added together gets you to the figure quoted in the article.

I think the maximum number of rifles per contract is 215,024. Times two contracts, that's 430,048. Dividing the total contract amount by that gives about $891 per rifle, but keep in mind that the total amount would also include all the extras: slings, magazines, kits, any training, spares armorers tools, packaging and shipping, etc. Since it is an FMS program, the overhead of the program may be built in as well to some degree, i.e. paying US personnel to supervise, coordinate with recipient country, etc.

If awarded an order, the contractor is expected to produce 4200 units per month until order is fulfilled. There's a ramp up period before the first batch is required, but not sure how long it is.

The contractors will be asked their best price for each order, and the government will choose. I believe the government may choose one or both contractors for each order.

Three configurations of M16A4 are required. I might not have this exactly right, I was not able verify I was reading the final document when I lost access.

- Standard config is 5.56 rifle with BUIS (no carry handle), Adapter Rail System (ARS), and I believe a vertical "pistol" (fore) grip on the fore end.
    - Alternate One is rifle with carry handle and ARS, not sure about VFG
    - Alternate Two is rifle with carry handle and standard hand guard.

binkerton

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 21, 2012
    I'd buy another one. All of my colt's work, including my new cobra. The Python problem sounds more like a hiccup that was corrected pretty quickly. Don't see or hear any more complaints. Hot garbage? I think not.

drillsgt

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    108   0   0
    Nov 29, 2009
    Sioux Falls, SD
    Was through dealers. Every one of ours had to be returned, 120 in the warehouse gone and we had to call every customer that purchased one

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk

If it was an actual recall they would have put something out for those that already owned them. You were sitting on 120 Pythons, ok.

binkerton

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 21, 2012

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    I like the price I paid for my brand new Colt Cobra.
    At $20, it was a pretty good buy.
    Still haven't fired it yet, but maybe soon...

Alamo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 4, 2010
    Texas
    I heard the US gummint just let a couple big contracts for M16A4s. Somebody should start a thread on that.

Top Bottom