• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • freekforge

Master
    Jul 20, 2012
    marion
    Decided to start another thread on pellet rifles so i can stop threadjacking the other thread.

I picked up some gamo ts-22 pellets that are complete garbage. the ones i measured varied by .006" one fell through my benjamin titan barrel then another i had to use both thumbs to push it in. kind of disappointing.

I ordered some delrin rod to make a pellet starter to use to get a consistent depth on the pellets when loading i think that will help with accuracy across the board.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Good idea freekforge!

And thanks for the heads up about the Gamo pellets. I thought about trying some, but even in the pictures for their "ads" they looked kind of rough. Didn't seem to be nearly as precisely cast/machined as some of the others, even Crossman.

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Aug 15, 2008
    I rediscovered a Crosman 1377 American Classic pellet pistol in the closet during this whole "stay at home" business. Bought it back in the late 90's I think. Couldn't resist tweaking it a bit so I put a stock on it, swapped out the plastic receiver for a steel one, and mounted a cheap red dot I had that wasn't being used for anything else. Does this qualify for a pellet "rifle" thread now? Kinda, sort of?

Even with my aging eyes it's shooting sub 1" groups at 20 yrds with the upgrades using some 7.9 gr Crosman Premier hollowpoint pellets that were laying around. Ordered up a variety of "premium" pellets to see if that can be tightened up a bit.

Backyard fun.

mR4o111.jpg

Target A is 12 shots.

78gubS0.jpg

Last edited:

freekforge

Master
    Jul 20, 2012
    marion
    I was really excited about the gamo pellets they looked really good but shot roughly 8" CTC at 20 yards. If you took the time to sort them by diameter then I think you could get some pretty good groups out of the tighter ones.

I have a 1377 that I put a stock on. I'm planning on getting a steel receiver and possibly a longer lothar Walther barrel.

freekforge

Master
    Jul 20, 2012
    marion
    Last night I made a prototype of my pellet seater out of a nylon toilet bolt. It tightened up the groups considerably. I'm not sure whether it's a consistent depth that's helping or less chance of damage to the skirt or both. but it shrunk down the groups out of both my Benjamin and hatsan

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Aug 15, 2008
    Last night I made a prototype of my pellet seater out of a nylon toilet bolt. It tightened up the groups considerably. I'm not sure whether it's a consistent depth that's helping or less chance of damage to the skirt or both. but it shrunk down the groups out of both my Benjamin and hatsan

This article suggests trying a Bic pen in a pinch (though I might remove the ballpoint first). - https://www.pyramydair.com/article/...ns_Part_1_spring_piston_guns_November_2010/80

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy

This article suggests trying a Bic pen in a pinch (though I might remove the ballpoint first). - https://www.pyramydair.com/article/...ns_Part_1_spring_piston_guns_November_2010/80

Man, pellet gun shooting has gotten a lot more sophisticated since I was a kid! I was just seating them with my thumb so they were flush with the rear of the chamber in my Gamo. Never considered that it might have an effect. Still it seems like it would be fairly consistent as long as I make sure they're just flush.

freekforge

Master
    Jul 20, 2012
    marion
    I was using the backside of a sharpie but I wanted to over complicate it:): When I'm just plinking I use my thumb but during sight in and hunting I use something to seat the pellet

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    I was using the backside of a sharpie but I wanted to over complicate it:): When I'm just plinking I use my thumb but during sight in and hunting I use something to seat the pellet

Well it makes sense that you'd want consistency. So this device you're making, does it actually seat the pellet below flush? Like down in the chamber a little way? I guess I'm picturing some kind of "T" shaped device.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Dang it. Had 4 starlings out in the yard just now but by the time I went in and got my rifle they were gone. Guess I should keep it out here on the deck with me.

freekforge

Master
    Jul 20, 2012
    marion
    Yea i have it where it pushes the pellet just below flush. When i make the finished one im going to make it about the size of a golf pencil with a split ring on it.

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Aug 15, 2008
    airgundepot.com and pyramydair.com have them, but you might want to add a few more items to the order to make the shipping worthwhile.

One of the Air Venturi models includes a pellet seater (Pell-Set they call it, with adjustable depth) on the opposite end:

https://www.pyramydair.com/s/a/Pellet_Pen_and_Pellet_Seater_Loads_Seats_177_Pellets/4140
    https://www.airgundepot.com/pellet-pen-pellet-seater-177-caliber-pellets.html

Here's a video that shows how it works:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=127&v=cy2pOTaqr_U&feature=emb_title

Last edited:

ljk

Master
    May 21, 2013
    Decided to start another thread on pellet rifles so i can stop threadjacking the other thread.

I picked up some gamo ts-22 pellets that are complete garbage. the ones i measured varied by .006" one fell through my benjamin titan barrel then another i had to use both thumbs to push it in. kind of disappointing.

I ordered some delrin rod to make a pellet starter to use to get a consistent depth on the pellets when loading i think that will help with accuracy across the board.

I haven't played with pallet guns for a long time, but back then a dozen years ago, JSB Exact was the shizzle. Not cheap, but very good.

https://www.airgunsofarizona.com/pellets/jsb-exact-.22-pellets/

5 shots on a phonebook trap at 17 yards indoors:

05gaWTR.jpg

My LD pistol converted to run on 3000psi compressed air, regulated tank valve with 830psi output.

kAIzFSM.jpg

Last edited:

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Nice looking rig ljk! I ran across those JSB Diabolo pellets when I was searching. They make them in some even heavier weights too, like up to almost 25 grains IIRC, but I figured those would be too heavy for my break barrel gun. The 15.89 grain might be okay though. May try some if the ones I have coming don't show promise.

Top Bottom