• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • tooleman

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Jul 31, 2010
    looking to get a 350 legend upper. The one I am looking at it side charging. I am mainly wanting to use this as a hunting rifle with a scope. Would a side charging handle be ok or should I get the rear charging handle?

SpaceCowboy

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 1, 2019
    Fort Wayne
    In my opinion a side charging upper is a solution for a problem that doesn’t exist. That being said, there are some decent ones out there and if it’s primarily going to be used for hunting it’ll boil down to personal preference.

ACC

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    133   0   1
    Mar 7, 2012
    N. Side of Indy
    I personally LOVE side charging uppers. Allows you to run the bolt without coming off the rifle. If you get one of a decent quality, it will work and you will dig it IMHO

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    If you are right handed make sure its left side charging and vise versa if your left handed. Or get an ambidextrous side charging upper.

Areoflyer09

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Feb 28, 2017
    Indianapolis
    All of my ARs have left side charging and are non-reciprocating handles. Gibbz is my brand of choice, but my Savage is well built and actually has both the side charger and a rear charging handle (I don’t know why).

jinks

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 5, 2013
    Central
    If you are right handed make sure its left side charging and vise versa if your left handed. Or get an ambidextrous side charging upper.
    Several years ago Bear Creek offered a free barrel to veterans. They had a left-hand receiver/bolt carrier for around $100. I ordered it to go with the free barrel. The only problem was it also has left-handed ejection with a solid receiver on the right side.

rkwhyte2

aka: Vinny
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Sep 26, 2012
    Sheridan
    All of my ARs have left side charging and are non-reciprocating handles. Gibbz is my brand of choice, but my Savage is well built and actually has both the side charger and a rear charging handle (I don’t know why).
    Because your Savage is well a savage and it goes both ways. :rockwoot:

sheepdog697

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Sep 2, 2015
    Cedar Lake
    looking to get a 350 legend upper. The one I am looking at it side charging. I am mainly wanting to use this as a hunting rifle with a scope. Would a side charging handle be ok or should I get the rear charging handle?

the Jp side charger is very nice.
    however, I would think in most cases the rear charging handle is fine.
    IF you do get one, make sure it isn’t a reciprocating side charger.

55fairlane

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 15, 2016
    New Haven
    In my opinion a side charging upper is a solution for a problem that doesn’t exist. That being said, there are some decent ones out there and if it’s primarily going to be used for hunting it’ll boil down to personal preference.

My match rifle "NRA space gun " is a side charger, the charging handle will not clear the check riser. I don't recall NOT seeing a side charger on a match rifle.

indyjohn

PATRIOT
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    77   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    In the trees
    It will chew on you if not careful.

You know that. And I know that.

So how does one not know to keep your hand away from the moving part whilst running it????? I mean, come on man! (said in my Joe Biden voice) You know the thing, it reciprocates, ok?

In all seriousness, I've run hundreds of rounds through my reciprocating side charger and have not experienced one single injury from it.

My follow up question to the sheepdog was "do you own a side charger?"

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    You know that. And I know that.

So how does one not know to keep your hand away from the moving part whilst running it????? I mean, come on man! (said in my Joe Biden voice) You know the thing, it reciprocates, ok?

In all seriousness, I've run hundreds of rounds through my reciprocating side charger and have not experienced one single injury from it.

My follow up question to the sheepdog was "do you own a side charger?"

I got the end of my thumb dinged up when I 1st built it. My fault. Brain fart.

Top Bottom