• ...and so much more!
  • smythe012

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 99.3%
    147   1   0
    Nov 9, 2011
    Northwest Indiana
    Hey all,

I’m looking for a 13.7”-13.9” barrel and want something of very good quality. So far I’ve considered BA’s Hanson series, SOLGW (although I know little about their barrels), and Criterion.

Price point preferred is $300 or less.

I like accuracy which drew me to Criterion but I’m open to feedback, suggestions, etc.

magic man

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   1
    Mar 7, 2010
    NWI
    I’m planning out the same type of build. I’ve got BA barrels currently that I’m very happy with, but I’ve considered the SOLGW also.

Probably end up with the SOLGW due to the lighter weight, mid length gas system, and the fact that I don’t need the low pro gas block that comes on the BA.

Last edited:

smythe012

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 99.3%
    147   1   0
    Nov 9, 2011
    Northwest Indiana
    I can’t find weights for either the SOLGW or Criterion, but other comparisons:

SOLGW
    Price: $170ish
    Caliber: 556
    Gas Block: .750
    Twist: 1:7

Criterion
    Price: $290ish
    Caiber: 223 Wylde
    Gas Block: .625
    Twist: 1:8

Cost difference is a decent chunk of change which I’m not opposed to spending if it’s worth it. This is going to be my “if I could only have one” rifle.

Last edited:

magic man

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   1
    Mar 7, 2010
    NWI
    I can’t find weights for either the SOLGW or Criterion, but other comparisons:

SOLGW
    Price: $170ish
    Caliber: 556
    Gas Block: .750
    Twist: 1:7

Criterion
    Price: $290ish
    Caiber: 223 Wylde
    Gas Block: .625
    Twist: 1:8

Cost difference is a decent chunk of change which I’m not opposed to spending if it’s worth it. This is going to be my “if I could only have one” rifle.

SOLGW is listed as 21oz. on their website. https://sonsoflibertygw.com/13-7-combat-grade-barrel-mid-length-gas-system-5-56-nato/

Ggreen

Person
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Sep 19, 2016
    SouthEast
    Iiiiiinteresting. And based on what I have seen on here, you highly endorse SOLGW.

Previously. They make good stuff, but a co-owner decided to be a scumbag to a dealer friend of mine going a long way to ruin him.

Tldr,
    Dealer was on backorder with solgw beyond posted timeliness. Dealer asked for updates with cryptic jerk responses from solgw, dealer asked if they would drop ship, solgw goes dark. This all got aired on social media after dealer made a friendly post for them to contact him.

This solgw owner has a cultish following on social media and they drug my guy in every group for trying to get his customers faster service.

Ps... Solgw has distributors dropship a lot of items they sell other than branded items.

Solgw does a good job putting only quality parts out. But you can get what they use.

Zev fully makes their recievers and handguards. BA makes their bbls, sprinco springs,

So yes, I like their product, I don't like their owner. He will probably show up here too cyberbully anytime now.

Hohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    USA
    NO idea why SOLGW gets such high praise when they make almost nothing.

CRITERION CORE is the barrel you want. A smart taper design puts the weight where you want it (closer to you) and need it (by the chamber) while keeping the pointy part nice and thin. It's the smartest barrel profile out there.

And criterion is GOOD stuff. Offshoot of Krieger, one of the biggest names in match barrels.

You cannot do much better than a Criterion at any price. (no affiliation, just a happy customer).

I'd also recommend DD barrels based on firsthand quality, but they don't offer anyhting in that length range. 14.5 isn't so bad.

Ggreen

Person
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Sep 19, 2016
    SouthEast

Fanboys, edgy memes, and honest quality ar15s. They make nothing, but they do have input on designs. They have extremely tight qa, and assemble proper ar's. In a market filled with garbage tier rifles they are about the easiest brand to recommend.

Even with my feelings about their ownership, I could never put down their products.

smythe012

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 99.3%
    147   1   0
    Nov 9, 2011
    Northwest Indiana

CRITERION CORE is the barrel you want. A smart taper design puts the weight where you want it (closer to you) and need it (by the chamber) while keeping the pointy part nice and thin. It's the smartest barrel profile out there.

And criterion is GOOD stuff. Offshoot of Krieger, one of the biggest names in match barrels.

You cannot do much better than a Criterion at any price. (no affiliation, just a happy customer).

I'd also recommend DD barrels based on firsthand quality, but they don't offer anyhting in that length range. 14.5 isn't so bad.

There we go! That’s what I was thinking/ hoping to hear. Their barrel is about $100 more than SOLGW or BA but I am okay with buying once crying once.

Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo
    Criterion. A while back, I bought a Criterion barrel for my 6.5 creedmoor. First time out, I was getting 2.5-3 inch groups. I emailed them, explained that I didn't think it was the barrel, and asked them for suggestions. They asked me to send them my upper. When they got it, they made some suggestions, I shipped them the parts, and they rebuilt my upper free of charge and shipped it back free of charge. Now I get sub MOA with factory ammo.

Hohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    USA
    Even with my feelings about their ownership, I could never put down their products.
    I wouldn't put down their products either. But seems like many of the fans are willing to create daylight between SOLGW and other solid options that frankly doesn't exist. And cannot exist, to the extent they are using the same parts and assembling them properly.

There are only a few ways to screw up an AR assembly. Nail those with good parts and you'll have a solid rifle, regardless who put it together.

Sure SOLGW is top tier. But it's not like they are top of that tier. They occupy a space filled with many reputable options if you are willing to step up past the commodity-grade AR. I personally think there's only one brand that can arguably be stated to be the "best" of all, and that's KAC. But I don't see much point in arguing once you get into the DD/SOLGW/BCM/Geissele grade of rifle-- they are all far more than sufficient.

smythe012

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 99.3%
    147   1   0
    Nov 9, 2011
    Northwest Indiana
    I’ve decided on the Criterion barrel for this build. I’m using a muzzle device that should put it juuuuust over 16” (literally by a hair).

Now I need to figure out which handguard. I’m looking at the BCM MCMR 13 but I’m concerned it’s too long as it states the actual length when measured to the flair is 13.4”. The other brand I love is Midwest Industries but the closest they have to 13” is 12.6ish.

Ggreen

Person
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Sep 19, 2016
    SouthEast
    Picloc by bootleg is my favorite non geissele. Uses the Bcm bbl nut as a bonus.
    Available in. 13.4
    https://bootleginc.com/product/bootleg-piclok-handguard/

20200602150358.jpg

smythe012

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 99.3%
    147   1   0
    Nov 9, 2011
    Northwest Indiana
    I called Criterion and asked if a true OAL of 13.4” on a handguard would be a problem for what I need and they said they wouldn’t advise it.

Side note: The guy at Criterion was super friendly, helpful, etc. If the barrel is accurate as i expect it was already money well worth spent.

I am leaning towards the MI 12.65” combat rail but I am still looking.

Top Bottom