• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Daniel170

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2020
    La Porte
    I don't own many firearms that deserve a write-up quite like my JRA Yugo M72b1. It was the first AKM I've ever owned and has been full of glee as much as frustration. For what it's worth this might be a forever safe gun but as of late I might end up trying to find this one a new home so I can support my new infatuation with SA revolvers/Cowboy Quick Draw. To begin, I typically spend half my time researching a firearm for quite awhile before purchasing and then there are the times that I see something and I just want it. This RPK is of the latter.

I owned a late 70's/early 80s Zastava bolt action in 25-06 years ago and found myself feeling some nostalgia wanting another Serbian firearm (I'm Serbian haha). I purchased the rifle "like new in box" from my local shop and spent a few range visits with it before making any real changes. Typical of Yugo's it did not have a optic rail mount from Zastava and James River Armory kept these things pretty close to the original design when they built it from the parts kits in their shop. I took it to Copper Custom in Valpo to rivet a mount on given their expertise when it comes to AK's with Definitive Arms being in house. Took about 2 weeks and proceeded to purchase a Midwest Industries optic rail and a Primary Arms 3x ACSS reticle optic (specific to 7.62x39). I tried the whole ALG AKT-UL trigger but didn't like how light it was (nearly got me kicked off of the range a couple times.) First experience with an aftermarket trigger and quickly realized there is such thing as too light of a trigger and something that just doesn't really need it. Went back with the milsurp trigger with minor polishing. The action is super smooth, like glass.

Jumping forward a year I decided it was time for another AK purchase; something more practical in size/weight so I took it back to Copper Custom to get it valued/inspected and was disheartened with what their smith told me. According to him and what I could gather online JRA had poor QC with these rifles (even worse with their M1/M14 clones; Do some research on JRA and you will be disappointed). Many had out of spec head-spacing which unfortunately was the case with my rifle. Like a ticking time bomb bad. Chamber was still good but the Smith told me I was lucky I hadn't really broken the rifle in yet. They wouldn't take it off my hands because of this reason; it just needed work. The smith informed me that the store I bought it from, which I won't name, had a 50% return rate on these JRA's that they sold due to this QC issue. Of course they never bothered to mention this to me when I brought it up to the counter but for them to not only know the rifle was out of spec and unsafe to shoot, they put it back on their shelf and sold it anyway. Needless to say I won't be spending my money at that shop anymore. After hearing this info from the smith at Copper Custom and given the option of selling privately and keeping my mouth shut or spending the couple hundred bucks to have one of their qualified builders re-pin the barrel with proper head spacing I chose to make the rifle right. Took a few months due to the holidays but got it back with all the checks; rifle is gtg. Bought my own head-space gauges to check it out since while I was waiting I went ahead and bought myself another AKM to keep me preoccupied (possible future write up on that one later).

Honestly the beauty of these rifles lies in their look/practicality. Heavy barreled, thick walled receivers, bulged trunnions, trench art on the wood. Probably will remain a rarity in the AK market for some time given the declining AK parts kits drying up. Would I do it again given my experience so far? I honestly don't know. Rifle continues to make me happy when I take it out to the range but given how utilitarian I am with my firearms, the more it sits the more I am likely to find something new worth letting it go for. If you have experience with JRA that can fill/add any info that I've mentioned feel free to let me know below.

Attachments

• IMG_20181122_131023_756.jpg
      IMG_20181122_131023_756.jpg
      1 MB · Views: 31
    Last edited:

223 Gunner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    200   0   0
    Jan 7, 2009
    Red Sector A
    I would get a second opinion, and not just take the Smith's word for it.
    Some people have their own interests at heart, maybe he was hoping you would sell it to him cheap?

FWIW I have JRA Galil clone, have only had it out one time, no issues whatsoever with it.
    From what I have read after the fact with JRA their weapon quality really is hit or miss, no pun...…..

IUKalash429

Bullet Hose
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Apr 6, 2019
    Rum Ham
    For many owners of these, the only thing worse than the problems with their guns (of which there are many, many, many well documented problems) is the utter lack of customer service or even respect from JRA.

It's a real shame, because M72 kits don't exactly grow on trees. OP - another option you might want to consider is Two Rivers Arms - https://www.tworiversarms.com/index.html. They specialize in Yugo/Serbian variants and do incredible work (I can personally attest to this). It'll cost you some money and patience, but both are well worth it in my opinion.

Daniel170

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2020
    La Porte
    He told me they weren't interested in purchasing it based on their own history of dealing with JRA. Copper Custom is an amazing shop and will continue to support their business for years to come.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom