• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • drm-hp

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 23, 2019
    Brownsburg
    Does anyone have any experience with the 6mm Fat Rat? This could be a great way to spend some hard earned money on a new toy. Push a 105-107 match bullet very fast in an AR-15 platform.

Clay Pigeon

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Aug 3, 2016
    Summitville
    Does anyone have any experience with the 6mm Fat Rat? This could be a great way to spend some hard earned money on a new toy. Push a 105-107 match bullet very fast in an AR-15 platform.

One guy in my shooting group has built one, case life is short, 3-5 loads per case (pockets get loose) and I remember he used a 5 series VV powder and swelled primer pockets the first or second loading using it.

jrh84

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 9, 2009
    Columbus
    A guy we shoot with at CIHPRS has one for his across the course "match rifle" and prone gun. It's a hammer, and he knows how to point it.

drm-hp

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 23, 2019
    Brownsburg
    A guy we shoot with at CIHPRS has one for his across the course "match rifle" and prone gun. It's a hammer, and he knows how to point it.

I was squaded with him this weekend at Camp Atterbury. I was just curious if there was anyone else shooting this round.

Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo
    Pressure kills, with some cases over pressure will swell or blowout primer pockets.
    It generally happens with small/medium rimmed/semi rimmed cases with a large primer and small rimmed cases like 22 Hornet. It happens quickly when these parent cases are reformed to better performance rounds.

The 6mm creedmoor will do it as well. Peterson and Lapua has small primer brass to help with it. Even then, it's still hard on brass.

NKBJ

at the ark
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2010
    Wow. Never got swelled out pockets with my 6-06.
    It was a twig triggered detonation photon torpedo and never got loaded that hot.

Clay Pigeon

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Aug 3, 2016
    Summitville
    The 6mm creedmoor will do it as well. Peterson and Lapua has small primer brass to help with it. Even then, it's still hard on brass.

Thanks, folks wonder why some brass is available in large and small primers, thats one of the main reasons. :yesway:

Have you used Petersons before?
    I have never used Peterson brass before, I almost did years back when I was looking for some 22 CCM brass but I was lucky and found a lifetime supply at a show from a old man selling out of his stuff. With Quality Cartridge is only a few miles from my family farm in southern Md anything hard to find that I can't form I go and get it from them or order it and wait for it to get to the front of the line.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom