Join INGunOwners For Free
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
    wcd

User Info Menu

Looking for some Shotgun answers

In close quarter use does a rear sight offer any specific benefit? My 870 has a front bead only and I have no issues tracking and taking down waterfowl. Which is at much longer distance than any potential home defense use. So I was just curious if the home defense models with rear sight and detachable magazine offered any real benefit?

Thanks

User Info Menu

I like sights for slugs.

wcd

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Hookeye View Post
    I like sights for slugs.
    I am guessing for game application?

User Info Menu

My HD rig has the light recoil slugs in it.

User Info Menu

Close up in a house shot doesn't spread much, so it's pretty much like shooting a rifle at that range. I've always felt that the biggest advantage to a shotgun at very close range is the killing power, it a really big hole.
    Where's the Kaboom? There was supposed to be an earth shattering Kaboom.

Marvin the Martian

User Info Menu

I'm not limiting my defense to spitting distance

wcd

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Leadeye View Post
    Close up in a house shot doesn't spread much, so it's pretty much like shooting a rifle at that range. I've always felt that the biggest advantage to a shotgun at very close range is the killing power, it a really big hole.
    So suggesting up a 870 with 18.5 barrel might not be a bad option. Seems like a middle of the road price point with proven reliability.

wcd

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Hookeye View Post
    I'm not limiting my defense to spitting distance
    Yeah I have read like you donít even have to aim a shotgun. But seriously one of my wifeís friends is considering a home defense tool in an urban environment. I am thinking a 20 gauge and some training may fit the bill.

Grandmaster DeadeyeChrista'sdad's Avatar

User Info Menu

You may be correct. I have an old 1187 beside the bed. And there may be an 870 underneath it. Call me sentimental. But this is definitely not an urban environment. They're just good tools for the job.
    Beto is one of "Those" people that you hope to one day be able to throat punch.

Master

User Info Menu

Nothing wrong with a shotgun for home defense. Just use appropriate ammo. Not knocking anyone who chooses a rifle or handgun for home defense either. However IMHO it is hard to beat the simplicity of use of a quality pump gun. Especially if you are woke up in the middle of the night and have to instantly take action to protect yourself and loved ones. Yes in large part a shotgun is pointed not aimed but still requires some practice to do it right.
    To secure the home I believe a shotgun is every bit as good of a tool as any other gun can be

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast