• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • CableGypsy

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 3, 2020
    Lafayette
    Been a gun owner for 30 years. Hunting rifles, pistols, shotguns. Never felt a REAL need for a civil defense weapon until now.

A quick Google search revealed that there is way too much info to process so I'd just like some recommendations from you experienced guys.

Not sure which caliber would be best for me. Will probably only shoot it 3 or 4 times a year. Would like ammo to be easily accessible and not super pricey.

I'm not a hobbyist, guns are just another tool to me. Don't need anything fancy, but do want good dependable quality.

So, what should I get? :):

Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 6, 2009
    Jasper county
    Ar or Ak, both are good choices. Preferably try some options at a range if you have a friend who owns either, or rent them. Those would be your best bet as far as mags/ accessories go, although there are other good options too (fal, sks, 308 ar, etc) most importantly whatever you get, make a point to train and be proficient with it.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Brother you have opened a can of worms here.
    Every person has his or her favorite [platform they will push.
    1st, will you train with it.
    2nd will you carry it.
    3rd will it reside in a drawer never to be seen again. This happens so much.
    4th....Budget. This is important.
    I am sure the faithful will be along shortly.

Hatin Since 87

Bacon Hater
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2018
    Mooresville
    Been a gun owner for 30 years. Hunting rifles, pistols, shotguns. Never felt a REAL need for a civil defense weapon until now.

A quick Google search revealed that there is way too much info to process so I'd just like some recommendations from you experienced guys.

Not sure which caliber would be best for me. Will probably only shoot it 3 or 4 times a year. Would like ammo to be easily accessible and not super pricey.

I'm not a hobbyist, guns are just another tool to me. Don't need anything fancy, but do want good dependable quality.

So, what should I get? :):

Theres a lot to unpack here, and I’m no expert but I was in the same boat as you 5 or 6 years ago. I’ve hunted since I was a kid, but never “needed” a gun for self defense. Once I had kids that changed and I wanted to have the means to protect them. My advice would be to decide what you intend to use it for. Home defense, self defense when out and about, etc. Everyone will have different opinions, but if you don’t have a handgun I would go that route first, then get an AR or AK later on. A handgun goes with you everywhere, never know when you’ll need it. 2nd piece of advice would be to go to a shop with a range and rent a few guns you think you would like and try them out. Everyone likes different styles, calibers, sizes, etc. I made the mistake of buying a full sized .40 for my first carry gun. I shot it really well, and loved the gun, but carrying a full sized all day every day will be uncomfortable, and hard to conceal. I ended up going to a Glock 19. It’s a decent mid sized gun, 9mm, easy to conceal, and comfortable. A lot of people have their own opinions on Glock, I chose Glock because you can literally find parts and admirers everywhere for them, and 9mm was my choice because of the higher round capacity and cheaper ammo. Again, please, go to a range and shoot multiple guns... you’ll find one that you really like and won’t regret buying it that way. Also, you said you’d only shoot it 3 or 4 times a year. Please reconsider this. If you ever do need to use it you want it to be instinct, and you wanna be proficient with your tool.

Also, I’d suggest taking a self defense class. Even experienced shooters will learn a thing or two, and it never hurts to freshen up on things you haven’t thought about for years.

CableGypsy

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 3, 2020
    Lafayette
    Ok, to update, primary purpose would be home defense vs raging mobs. I have other guns to carry if I feel the need. I will definitely train and learn the gun but doubt I'll be at the range often because I work a lot.

5.56 AR seems like a good place to start. Any brands to avoid? Any features to look for? Would like to stay under $1k but decent quality is priority.

Do most all of them come with 30 round mags?

Ggreen

Person
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Sep 19, 2016
    SouthEast
    Ok, to update, primary purpose would be home defense vs raging mobs. I have other guns to carry if I feel the need. I will definitely train and learn the gun but doubt I'll be at the range often because I work a lot.

5.56 AR seems like a good place to start. Any brands to avoid? Any features to look for? Would like to stay under $1k but decent quality is priority.

No, stag, Anderson, radical, diamondback, the list is long...

Easier just to link you a great set up.

Rifle

Optic

Right around 1k shipped and transferred.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette

CG,
    Want to try an AR15 in 5.56/.223?
    Give me a ring.
    I'm in Lafayette and I've built several AR15's and a couple of AR10's.

Food for both are relatively inexpensive and should be readily available.
    I have plenty of ammo on hand to give you a taste of what you're getting into.

You might also consider a shotgun for home defense. We can go over those too.
    If interested, check your pm's.
    You won't be able to answer, but I'll leave other contact info. and welcome to Ingo.

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    ...Not sure which caliber would be best for me. Will probably only shoot it 3 or 4 times a year. Would like ammo to be easily accessible and not super pricey. ...

5.56 NATO or 7.62x39. Both highly available and not super pricey. It's not rocket science.

But it's not the caliber that chiefly separates a sporting/hunting arm from a "civil defense" (your term) arm IMO. It's the design and construction for the purpose of higher volumes of fire that's the most significant difference from my perspective.

OP, maybe defining/explaining what you mean by "civil defense" would be helpful?

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    I think I'm going to get together with the o.p. for a fun shoot, and to introduce him to the AR15 platform.
    Thought I might throw a wrench in by bringing along my AR15 pistol in 9mm. That thing is just too much fun to resist, and with some 32 round mags, can make a pretty formidable home defense gun that won't over-penetrate like a 5.56 or 7.62x39.

Jaybird1980

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    North Central
    I think I'm going to get together with the o.p. for a fun shoot, and to introduce him to the AR15 platform.
    Thought I might throw a wrench in by bringing along my AR15 pistol in 9mm. That thing is just too much fun to resist, and with some 32 round mags, can make a pretty formidable home defense gun that won't over-penetrate like a 5.56 or 7.62x39.

Sounds like a good plan. As I incur more health problems I think that a PCC that uses g17 mags to match my pistol would be easier to use than my win 1300. I also think it would be easier for wife and 15yo daughter to use. I guess it all depends on an individuals situation, closeness of neighbors, health, etc.

CableGypsy

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 3, 2020
    Lafayette
    Thank you everyone for your advice. I'm going to take Mgderf up on his offer for some 1 on 1 learnin :) that one in the link and the sight looks like a nice set.

Trapper Jim

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2012
    Arcadia
    Remington 870 20Ga. American Engineered, American Made. Easy to Master. If you are sportsman minded as well as defense you can even get it in Nice Walnut.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I have eliminated my shotguns from the HD plans we have in place.
    Ar 15s are the main go to. My 1st line is a pistol length set up (springer Saint) with twin 30's in it. And trust me they work.
    There is a PCC in the mix as well.

If he means what I think he did I would not use a shot gun although it would be devastating at closer ranges. An AR will keep the wolves at bay.

Trapper Jim

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2012
    Arcadia
    Op has stated only shooting this new purchase 3 or 4 times a year. While many of us are highly qualified to use Ar’s for HD, the round limits of practice Put down by OP favor the pump shotgun. 3cents.

Ggreen

Person
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Sep 19, 2016
    SouthEast
    Op has stated only shooting this new purchase 3 or 4 times a year. While many of us are highly qualified to use Ar’s for HD, the round limits of practice Put down by OP favor the pump shotgun. 3cents.

Disagree. Shotgun it's extremely hard to master. I can sit a full weekend with a new shooter and them very proficient with an ar. It takes years for a casual shooter to be competitive with a shotgun. Keeping a shotgun fed is extremely hard, then trying to get 2 rounds on moving target with a pump is even harder. Add low light, maneuvering indoors with an 18"bbl, keeping multiple targets tracked while pumping...

Shotguns are easy is a myth.

Top Bottom