Ruger Precision Rifle 6.5 CM or........?????

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ACC

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    133   0   1
    Mar 7, 2012
    N. Side of Indy
    I have decided to buy a entry level precision rifle in 6.5 CM. Obviously, the RPR is a very easy choice. However, what other rifles in this category should I consider? Hoping to keep it to less than $1500

Savage 10 Ashbury?

???

your input and experience are appreciated.

Ggreen

Person
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Sep 19, 2016
    SouthEast
    looking form something with a top rail and a free float handguard.

The hmr is free floated. You pick the rail you want. It's a 700 action so lots of good steel optic rails. It's a better shooter than the savage based on my personal experiences with the ba stealth.

mcapo

aka Bandit
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 19, 2016
    East of Hoosier45 - West of T-dogg
    Howa 1500 LRR. 3/4 moa with factory ammo. Lots of configurations available. Same action on the Weatherby Vanguard line.

3d0a30909908d0b5c5efba0a8c4aef32.jpg

sheepdog697

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Sep 2, 2015
    Cedar Lake
    If you want a factory configuration the tikka tac a1 is super solid. I went tikka ctr and then I dropped it in the chassis of my choice. You could do the same and be under your $1500 price point.

Hohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    USA
    If you want a factory configuration the tikka tac a1 is super solid. I went tikka ctr and then I dropped it in the chassis of my choice. You could do the same and be under your $1500 price point.

If you are going to go aftermarket chassis, there's little reason to pay the premium for the CTR versus getting a cheaper Tikka T3 in th caliber you want. Heck, I know some buy the very cheapest $600 Tikka and rebarrel and drop in the chassis and you'll have something that runs with or surpasses the Tac A1 at comparable cost.

I think the Tikka is the best action you can get that's not a full custom. The Howas are nice, so are the bergaras. But he Tikka is the best production action I've ever cycled.

Last edited:

sheepdog697

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Sep 2, 2015
    Cedar Lake
    If you are going to go aftermarket chassis, there's little reason to pay the premium for the CTR versus getting a cheaper Tikka A3 in th caliber you want. Heck, I know some buy the very cheapest $600 Tikka and rebarrel and drop in the chassis and you'll have something that runs with or surpasses the Tac A1 at comparable cost.

I think the Tikka is the best action you can get that's not a full custom. The Howas are nice, so are the bergaras. But he Tikka is the best production action I've ever cycled.

This isn’t a bad idea either. I picked my CTR up for about $850?, and it had the threaded barrel already. Not sure how much it would have cost to get it rebarreled. I was also able to sell the ctr stock and magazines that came with it for about $200. So all said and done I essentially had $650 in the action and their factory threaded barrel. Do they offer any other variants that are cheaper than the ctr that offer the factory threaded barrel? I love mine, it shoots lights out. If I had anything to complain about it would be that their barrels are a little slower than some of the other manufacturers. I don’t shoot competition and I haven’t shot beyond 1200 so the 100 or 200fps less hasn’t been a HUGE issue for me.

avboiler11

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 12, 2011
    New Albany
    I'm evidently one of a small number of people that just could not get comfortable behind a RPR. Mine was a 223, it was fairly accurate and you could run the bolt extremely fast...but I found getting 'locked in' difficult, specifically using a rear squeeze bag while prone. I found I *much* prefer a McMillan A3/A5 or Manners T2-style stock to a pistol grip chassis.

For that reason, I say Bergara HMR.

Hohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    USA
    I'm evidently one of a small number of people that just could not get comfortable behind a RPR. Mine was a 223, it was fairly accurate and you could run the bolt extremely fast...but I found getting 'locked in' difficult, specifically using a rear squeeze bag while prone. I found I *much* prefer a McMillan A3/A5 or Manners T2-style stock to a pistol grip chassis.

For that reason, I say Bergara HMR.

As a counterpoint, member JRH84 used a .223 RPR to post some very impressive scores, several High Master.

So indeed YMMV as he seems to do very well with his.

Sigblitz

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 25, 2018
    Indianapolis
    The pistol grip will throw your shots off. Your lower fingers push on the grip because your thumb isn't pointing forward.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    A buddy recently bought a bergara HMR premier and that thing is a shooter for sure. The Tikka T3X's have a great reputation. I've seen Savage's punch holes right out of the box in 6.5.

You live in a golden era of rifle production for accurate rigs, pick whatever flavor you like. The Ruger precision rifle is not a bad choice and if it's what you want go for it.

Top Bottom