• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DSmith78

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 29, 2012
    Indiana
    My ar has fixed front sight with flup up rear. I want to put red dot scope on it but keep the fixed sight on the front. What height mount you recommend? Any links to a goid mount be helpful also

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    I don't remember the exact height of my riser but I prefer to have it co-witness dead center.

Most are offered as a "lower 1/3 co-witness". The lower 1/3 co-witness riser that came with my red dot, the front post was barely in view. Looking at other offerings, it looks like it depends on what sight you use. This is from a quick search.

Geissele is 1.41" for co-witness and 1.57" for lower 1/3 (based on an email response I received from them). ADM is 1.52" for co-witness and 1.69" for lower 1/3.

CraigAPS

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 26, 2016
    Muncie
    I have the same setup--Magpul rear, A2 front. I have a .83" height riser and it gets me absolute cowitness, which what I prefer.

Ggreen

Person
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Sep 19, 2016
    SouthEast
    I don't remember the exact height of my riser but I prefer to have it co-witness dead center.

Most are offered as a "lower 1/3 co-witness". The lower 1/3 co-witness riser that came with my red dot, the front post was barely in view. Looking at other offerings, it looks like it depends on what sight you use. This is from a quick search.

Depends on the dots housing too. Most dots use aimpoint micro mounts, but holosun are slightly different dimensionally. Generally the dot has enough adjustment to compensate for the differences in aftermarket mounts.

Lower 1/3 let's you have a clearer view, and generally easier to aim with ear pro on.

Absolute basically puts a dot on your front sight post.

What red dot do you want? Id just get a dot with a mount you like.

Ruger_Ronin

Turkey Herder
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 22, 2017
    Outer Heaven
    Absolute co witness makes zeroing a breeze too. Numerous times have I removed an optic (Eotech) for rifle maintenance and maintained zero after reinstalling. The lollipop trick as it were. As long as irons are good, you'll be within a click or 2 at worst. I prefer an A2 fsb over flip fronts anyway.

Rear: MBUS pro
    Front: A2
    Optic: Eotech 558 w/ Vortex vmx-3t

Hohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    USA
    ALso depends on your FSB. If you have a true A1/A2 height it is slightly different than a flattop ("f" marked) FSB. The nweer F marked units are taller and would required less height in a RDS mount to give true absolute cowitness.

climber1218

Marksman
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Aug 2, 2011
    Converse
    I simply cut off the front sight and went with 45 degree offset backup sights since I like my red dot to sit as low as possible for a consistent cheek weld!

Ruger_Ronin

Turkey Herder
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 22, 2017
    Outer Heaven
    I simply cut off the front sight and went with 45 degree offset backup sights since I like my red dot to sit as low as possible for a consistent cheek weld!

giphy.gif

Jones1776

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 29, 2020
    fort wayne
    The sig romeo will be a absolute co witness just center the dot in the middle of the post and right on top of it and you will be really close to being dialed in if your sights are already sighted in

Fixer

Expert
    Rating - 96.4%
    26   1   1
    Nov 22, 2009
    Fort Wayne Area
    I second the Low Pro gas block. One can be had for about $20. I currently have 45 canted flip up sights and a Vortex Strikefire 2 set up on one of mine. The canted sights are more natural to use than I expected. I didn't want the front sight to obscure the red dot sight picture. Just my preference.

Top Bottom