• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jeffsqartan

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 21, 2012
    I'm in the process of building a short barreled "pistol" using a virgin Remington 700 chassis and some form of chassis. I'll be building this for 308 Winchester.
    I've got about three different ideas for how to best complete this, but one of them requires a custom length barrel.

I was originally looking at a KAK 10" or 12" barrel. However, the chassis that I like the most (AB Arms MOD*X) has a rail on it that is 13" long. I would really like to use this chassis, but neither barrel will work since I'll be using a suppressor that will not fit inside the rail.

From what I can find, it seems I have two options: buy a longer barrel (factory 22" barrels are $84) and have it cut down and threaded, then buy a BUGNUT barrel nut. OR, buy a pre-fit barrel from a company like Criterion, Preferred Barrel Blanks, X-Caliber, McGowen, whoever, and have them make me a 13.5" barrel that should go out past the rail on the chassis.

I like the custom barrel idea, but I'm spending at least $350 on any custom barrel. The factory barrel is $84, plus $??? to get it cut down and threaded, then another $40 for the BUGNUT.

In terms of accuracy, how much of a difference should I expect to see from a cut-down factory barrel vs a custom pre-fit? I'm thinking 1:10 twist and I am looking at 168gr Federal Match for my factory ammo and a 168gr Hornady or Sierra hand-load for distance/hunting. I know each barrel is different, but is there any down-side to using a factory Remington barrel that's been cut down?
    Also, any thoughts on who can locally cut down and re-thread the factory barrel and roughly what it would cost?

jeffsqartan

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 21, 2012
    The Pork Sword was my original plan for this. However, I've always had an affinity for chassis systems with rails over the barrel. I figure this is a good opportunity for me to build one that way.

If the Pork Sword had that, I'd be buying their chassis. If the AB Arms thing turns out to be way too expensive or total junk, then I'll be switching to a 10" Pork Sword build.

Like I said, I have about 3 different ideas for this build; this post is to help me narrow down options and figure out what's best.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    Ugh, why did I click on this thread? Now I'm gonna have a 300BO Pork Sword pistol bouncing around in my head.

Anyway, I've always been very happy with my XLR Chassis'. I've had their Evolution, Element and Carbon chassis' and they were all excellent and would allow for a pistol build. I'm down to two these days.
    ojaEM09h.jpg

jeffsqartan

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 21, 2012
    After looking into it a little more, I was wrong about the length of the AB Arms rail. It's 13.5" and I don't want the barrel any longer than 14".
    I think that, as much as I like the AB Arms chassis, the only way to make it work is ask them or someone else to make a custom rail for me, which is probably more coin than I want to spend.
    At this point, I'm leaning heavily toward the Pork Sword and a 10.5" barrel.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    The 700CP in a pork sword chasis is a concept I've looked at too. I think it'd be a handy little truck gun for pests and plinking, but that's so much money for a novelty. If the thing were in a better price range that'd be different, but as it is now, yikes.

two70

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Feb 5, 2016
    Johnson
    After looking into it a little more, I was wrong about the length of the AB Arms rail. It's 13.5" and I don't want the barrel any longer than 14".
    I think that, as much as I like the AB Arms chassis, the only way to make it work is ask them or someone else to make a custom rail for me, which is probably more coin than I want to spend.
    At this point, I'm leaning heavily toward the Pork Sword and a 10.5" barrel.

I feel your pain. What I really want is a Nosler M48 handgun that isn't a single shot and doesn't cost an arm and a leg but the Pork Sword is a good backup plan. I've managed to resist temptation... so far.

jeffsqartan

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 21, 2012
    The 700CP in a pork sword chasis is a concept I've looked at too. I think it'd be a handy little truck gun for pests and plinking, but that's so much money for a novelty. If the thing were in a better price range that'd be different, but as it is now, yikes.
    I've done a few different cost breakdowns and, on paper, the Pork Sword, using a stock Remington 700 action, KAK barrel, and a folding brace of some sort, will run a little over $1,000 (not including tools or cost of assembly by a gunsmith). Tools are another $150-ish.
    Of course add a scope and whatever muzzle device you choose.

It's cheaper to build from the ground up than to buy a Remington 700 CP and transfer it into the chassis. Midway has the action for about $350 shipped, but they aren't letting me use my FFL so I'm trying to find another source for the same price.

KAK barrel is $150, plus a $12 recoil lug.

Chassis is $300 plus $65 for their FAR end (8" model) and like $20 for an AR grip.

Brace options--buy an SB Tactical 1913 compatible brace. Between $150 and $200+ depending on which model and who you buy from.
    If you wanna run an AR buffer style brace, Sig makes a folding adapter ($105) and Thordsden(?) Customs makes a non-folding adapter ($60ish).
    Then it's your personal preference on what brace to use from there.
    I may eventually throw a longer barrel on or swap to a different barreled action so that I can use a stock, so I'm gonna roll with the Sig adapter and a KAK Shockwave brace (already have a spare laying around). I'm sure I'll change things up down the road.

If you don't care too much about the chassis/barrel length and/or you want a rail right out the gate, the 700 CP makes sense. I really want the rail, but I don't really want the 700 CP and I don't want to go more than 14" of barrel, so I'm gonna run with the Pork Sword and hope they come out with a rail attachment soon. I'm also going to work with a few of my engineering/machinist buddies to see if we can come up with some kind of adapter for AR15 rails.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Top Bottom