• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bullet

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Feb 27, 2011
    Seymour
    My wife has given me permission to get a Barrett.
    I'm new to Barretts and 50bmg so any newbie advice would be great.
    I had a .338 Lapua years ago and own several big handguns. So I'm not new to expensive bullets.
    I know I want a M82a1, but was wondering if a M107a1 was worth the extra money.

TacticalFun

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Aug 7, 2016
    Goshen
    The m107a1 is less reliable but more accurate. The 82 can be accurized by some shops. I have both rifles and can answer most questions.

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk

KokomoDave

Enigma Suspect
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    75   0   0
    Oct 20, 2008
    Kokomo
    American Marksman LLC just sent me an email saying they had .50 in-stock again. Standard ball 660, T, and APIT.

ROLEXrifleman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    54   0   0
    Feb 7, 2009
    NW Indiana
    I had an 82a1 with a krieger barrel and some other work. My brother had the 107. Both were never more than minute of tank at 1,000 yards. We found a few things to be true of both. Neither were on par with a true precision rifle. We never found enough time to hit 1000+ yards ranges enough to “justify” the big .50. And we realized the Barrett is just the most popular, not the best 50 out there. If you’re looking for precision in a .50 get a McMillan or even a Barrett M95 for repeaters and the M99 or Armalite just for a fun single shot. For the price of the semi autos the 82 will do what you need and the differences between it and the 107 aren’t worth the price difference.
    I had all three at one time, M99, M90, and 82a1. All are gone and replaced with an AI AW50 For me volume and speed were less important than accuracy.

Jones1776

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 29, 2020
    fort wayne
    Barrett never claimed to be precision rifles they are an anti material rifle that are reliable in the field and with some practice is around 2-4 inch moa

ROLEXrifleman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    54   0   0
    Feb 7, 2009
    NW Indiana
    Barrett never claimed to be precision rifles they are an anti material rifle that are reliable in the field and with some practice is around 2-4 inch moa

the claim never came from Barrett but they never went out of their way to correct the term “sniper rifle” from being used with them either. The average .50 buyer has no clue what they are getting themselves into and depend heavily on either word of mouth or marketing that often does not paint a clear picture. The harsh reality is 99% of these guns don’t get shot very much if at all and when they do the only “material” they are trying to defeat is paper or the occasional watermelon. Practical, no. Fun, yes. But all the info needs to be laid out there so someone can make an informed decision

Jones1776

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 29, 2020
    fort wayne
    I dont believe Barrett ever marketed it as a sniper rifle, If anyone did any research into them at all they would find out what there intended use is. The sf guys I have talked to used them mostly to take out communications and aircraft setting on runways. I think the whole sniper rifle thing mostly came from Hollywood movies

Karl-just-Karl

Retired
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 5, 2014
    NE
    Fifty Cal Shooters Association

You also might spend some time on Arfcom: https://www.ar15.com/forums/Precision-Rifles/50-Cal-Precision-Rifles/16/

Lots of good info here...lots of potential for frustration as well.

If you have the funds for it, go for it.

The harsh reality is 99% of these guns don’t get shot very much if at all and when they do the only “material” they are trying to defeat is paper or the occasional watermelon. Practical, no. Fun, yes. But all the info needs to be laid out there so someone can make an informed decision

Lots of truth here.

If nothing else, it helps one feel better that if they ever need to defend themselves from a narco-tank they have the ability to do so.
    0706-narcotankJPG.jpg

Gabriel

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jun 3, 2010
    The shore of wonderful Lake Michigan
    I dont believe Barrett ever marketed it as a sniper rifle, If anyone did any research into them at all they would find out what there intended use is. The sf guys I have talked to used them mostly to take out communications and aircraft setting on runways. I think the whole sniper rifle thing mostly came from Hollywood movies

Which is why he is saying they are not MOA rifles... for people that don't know.

climber1218

Marksman
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Aug 2, 2011
    Converse
    I had a Barrett M99...never got to know how accurate it was because I never shot it much...it beat me up (I weighed less than 150# at the time)!:dunno:

bullet

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Feb 27, 2011
    Seymour
    Update: I got a M82a1 a few weeks back. I love the thing and have been having a blast shooting it.
    I'm looking at getting a M107a1.

Top Bottom