Join INGunOwners For Free
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Retro AR15

Plinker

User Info Menu

Gee this thread is like a walk down memory lane, I enlisted in 1976 so a M-16a1 was my issued tool as a 11B1P. I found this if you want to go for a built rifle https://www.windhamweaponry.com/fire...a1-government/ . If you can find one the price is usually less than MSRP but because of demand prices are up from say Dec 2019. As I was going into the reserve Army in 1984 and I lusted after the M-16a2 because of the M-885 round and extra range so I bought a Windham AR-15a2 copy. Any way you go please post your final build, would love to see.
    Jump62
    aka Paul

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Hkindiana View Post
    If you want to go “full retard” you get an 80% receiver, have it “reprofiled” into A1 configuration, and have the correct Vietnam markings engraved onto it. Then, you can finish it out yourself and be as close to the real thing as you can legally get. Mine even says “safe, semi, full” - but of course it is ACTUALLY “safe, semi, semi”. You also have the “added” benefit of No paper trail on the receiver, so it won’t ever have to get lost in a boating accident.
    Safe, Semi-automatic, and Full Semi-automatic
    Member: NRA, GOA, & SAF

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by drillsgt View Post
    I have one made by Brownells which is a nice copy of an M16A1 or you can get a copy of the earlier M16 whichever is your preference. They are a bit pricey but nice, they do put them on sale quite often.

Very nice. Looks like the A1 I had in the Marines. What twist is the barrel?
    The unarmed man is not only defenseless - he is also contemptible.

Plinker

User Info Menu

I took a peek at the Brownell's web site and the model BRN-16a1 has a 1:12 twist rate so I don't think it would like a 62gr bullet much. MSRP of the Brownell rifle was like the Windham M-16a1 look-a-like but out of stock. It is a nice looking rifle and maybe when the crazyness settles down might be a good addition to the fleet.
    Jump62
    aka Paul

Expert

User Info Menu

For me, as a gunsmith, it would depend "How Accurate" do you want the retro to be?

4 notch round post front sight? 4 notch square post front sight? No forward assist, no trap door butt plate, 3 prong flash hider, rifle grenade 'Finger' attachment under flash hider, Etc...
    You can very well go 'Full Stupid' like someone else said!

Some of these parts are EXTREMELY hard to find...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jump62 View Post
    I took a peek at the Brownell's web site and the model BRN-16a1 has a 1:12 twist rate so I don't think it would like a 62gr bullet much. MSRP of the Brownell rifle was like the Windham M-16a1 look-a-like but out of stock. It is a nice looking rifle and maybe when the crazyness settles down might be a good addition to the fleet.
    Jump62
    aka Paul
    I've only shot my bulk 55grs through it and it shot very well, I even used a period zero target as well. I was going to buy a bayonet too but somewhere along the line people decided those were worth something and they tend to be $$ now when I see them. They seem to have been out of stock for awhile but when they have them they do run sales quite often.

User Info Menu

My buddy decided to get the BRN-16a1 from Brownell's.

Thank for your time and suggestions.

Expert

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by JeepHammer View Post
    For me, as a gunsmith, it would depend "How Accurate" do you want the retro to be?

4 notch round post front sight? 4 notch square post front sight? No forward assist, no trap door butt plate, 3 prong flash hider, rifle grenade 'Finger' attachment under flash hider, Etc...
    You can very well go 'Full Stupid' like someone else said!
    Some of these parts are EXTREMELY hard to find...

Why no forward assist? It is true that the Air Force Models in Vietnam had no forward assist, but the Army/Marine Corp XM16E1 WITH forward assist came out in late 1964 or early 1965. The grenade “finger” attachment was discontinued at about the same time. And, yes, many of the early original parts are QUITE EXPENSIVE (can you say $400 for a transitional bolt catch, lol).
    With so many places beating dicks I think it's gonna hurt dicks bad.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by alc1985 View Post
    My buddy decided to get the BRN-16a1 from Brownell's.

Thank for your time and suggestions.
    Good choice, he'll be happy with it i'm sure.

User Info Menu

I bought mine after the sandy hook bubble, paid too much, but love it !!Triangle forestock, fixed buttstock, and handle, Anderson lower, bushmaster GI upper. I went through USAF basic in 1981, so I qualified with the A-1 type rifle.

Last edited by MrSmitty; 1 Week Ago at 20:23. Reason: add
    Bushido is all very well in it's way, but it is no match for a 30-06.......Jeff Cooper

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2